CBR1100XX.org Forum

To Taper, Or Not To Taper....

Warchild

That is the question.....

And I think the answer is "no" for me right now, because even though I realize tapered steering head bearings are the way to fly.... the fact of the matter is: my OEM hardware still looks in good shape, and I've never had any issues with front end tracking/steering, so... why do I want to go through the expense and hassle of pulling out perfectly good races? :icon_eh:

repack1.jpg

So I think I'll just re-pack these bearings, and move on to the next item on the long list of TLC I'm bestowing on Night Train here... :icon_evilgrin:

I'm about in the same boat. I can feel a slight notch at the center, but my bike tracks perfectly and has no head shake or wobble issues at all. I'm gonna leave it alone for now.

so... why do I want to go through the expense and hassle of pulling out perfectly good races?

:icon_think: Because you have it apart? :icon_scratchhead:

:icon_confused:

:icon_think: Or maybe because you have some super secret front end farkle to test and evaluate? :icon_eyebrows:

so... why do I want to go through the expense and hassle of pulling out perfectly good races?

:icon_think: Because you have it apart? :icon_scratchhead:

Expense and hassle?! You're $30 and 15 minutes from doing the swap! I hope your kidding!

You did read my post on how I just did it, right?

Expense and hassle?! You're $30 and 15 minutes from doing the swap! I hope your kidding!

This is what I was thinking. You are already there. Dale, you don't want to be on one of your supersport IBR rides and be thinking "Man I wish I had replaced that bearing when had it all apart".

Expense and hassle?! You're $30 and 15 minutes from doing the swap!

+1

I did mine 3 years ago, and there was a definite improvement in front end feel, as well as removing that annoying decel wobble.

Expense and hassle?! You're $30 and 15 minutes from doing the swap!

+1

I did mine 3 years ago, and there was a definite improvement in front end feel, as well as removing that annoying decel wobble.

Spend the fifty bucks on tapered bearings. Well worth it in the long run.

I just did TFT's yesterday and it makes the front end feel much better.

All you goodamn maggots can just suck moist ass!! :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

You suck because I know you're right, I'm just being lazy. :icon_confused:

*sigh* Well, shit.... I'll give CBRBearing.com a call in the morning, then....

Fuckers. :icon_razz:

No.

Got a linky to it?

Not to thread jack but ........ :icon_lol:

I feel and hear a click from the bars on hard decel esp. with a passenger, is this indicative of a "notch' in the steering bearings?

And if so do you think a novice like me should start screwing around with swapping it out? :icon_duh:

No other ill effect's have been noticed other than the clicking. :icon_smile: