CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is it my plugs or PC?

MiDNiTXX

Hey guys, after a little tune-up this weekend my bird seems to be driving very different.

First I changed the plugs. The guy at the dealership was making quite a fuss that I HAD to use the CR9EHVX-9 plugs, but on this forum I had read about the CR9EHIX-9 Iridium plugs so I was asking for those. He eventually gave in and said that they did have Iridium plugs but that I had the wrong part number and gave me 4 CR9EIX plugs. So I put these in. (I'm right at 7989 miles).

After I installed these I changed the map in my PC because before the plug change it seemed to idle a little too low (sometimes gave a shudder when apply gas from idle). I had been using (if I remember right) a map for a Boss slip-on for a european model. I don't have a european model, but I do have Micron slip-ons and a K&N filter. Anyway, I switched it to stock, and then to a map for a full Erion system which I left it on.

So right now my bird acts like my throttle cable is a lot longer then it used to be. For instance before I could rock the throttle forward and back to pull the front end right up (only in emergency of course), but now when I rock the throttle I have to twist it a lot further to get the same reaction. I also "seem" to have picked up a flat spot from 4-6k. Midrange power now feels like my old GPZ-1100 but it lost the zip.

I haven't had a chance to try it with a different map yet (rain) but do you think its my PC settings or are the plugs he gave me way off? Anyone have a map for my setup?

Thanks for any help!

-Robert

ps. Forgot to say I have a 2000 XX

Robert-

I'm no PC genius, but a couple of thoughts come to mind:

* First, never change two things at once on your bike at the same time, unless it's unavoidable. You create dilemmas exactly like this....is it the plugs, or the PC? Change one thing at a time, get a feeling for the baseline, see if anything has changed, and then move to your next operation. Be disciplined.

* Second....now this is just my experience and years speaking, but I rarely see plugs *cause* a problem.....they do, however, show symptoms of problems. An example is that a rich-running cylinder will have a sooty plug. So I don't think it's your plugs. I put a set of ST1100 plugs in my bird this winter, as I had no replacements on hand....and the bird ran exactly the same. So I feel that your issue is your map.

Hope this helps.

I agree, normally I would not change two things at once...but I figured plugs are plugs. I didn't expect such a dramatic change from just the PC map though :) Of course on the next nice day I can rule out the PC...but until then I have to worry about it ;)

Is there any real difference between the european bikes and the US?

CR9EIX

Those are wrong. Some people had tried them before and reported issues. I don't know what the difference is, but CR9EHIX-9 is the right one to replace the CR9EHVX-9. I have those and there is on noticeable difference, they should just last longer.