CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tires and sizes

ConstructiondiverXX

Well two things are great

#1 I re-applied to use the forum and I start back at 0 posts. :grin:

#2 The forum is still here for me to ask the silly questions. :oops:

I have read as much of the posts as I could stand in searching for the new tires and the posts are very helpful. The things I need to know are what is the explanation of the tire sizes. ie 180/55 ZR 17. And what the benifits of the wider rear (should be obvious) or stock size tire. Same for front tire sizes. (wide ,skinny, stock)

Obviously somewhere riding style is in there.

The concensus in my studies was a little more sticker to the front is a plus.

Thanks

And what the benifits of the wider rear

Slower, heavier handling. Less traction at full lean. Unpredictable results from forcing the tire into an unintended profile. Costs more.

Unless you change the wheel, a 190 rear only has drawbacks.

DO NOT fuck with the front. That's even more dangerous.

Explain how a squeezed-beyond-spec side wall is going to yield a larger contact patch. Of course, if you're talking by running super-low pressures, that's a different story. In this context we're talking street pressures.

I got this data from a magazine article that compared contact patches with tires of various sizes by parking the bikes on photographic plates.

Should of clearified my self better :) , I was refering to using the bike as mainly a dragbike, which you could run lower tire pressure :wink: and I wider tire for better hook-up. I have done this with my stock bike and stock tire and it works especially on a cold day :wink:

That I won't argue with. One of the guys I ride with swaps in a wheel with a 200 just for the track, and runs it at some ridiculously low pressure. Don't try to make a fast turn on that thing!