CBR1100XX.org Forum

F4 for caps/ preload adjusters fit bird ALMOST !

HERBXX

I was just out in the garage looking at old f4 forke leg i got on ebay last year and thinkin about swaping n my new springs. And I tried the f4 cap on the bird and it fits !

YOu have to snap the rebound adjuster rod of of the adjuster in the f4 cap , then reinstall the adjuster . I added some epoxy and then filed the rebound adjuser off on the ourside just for looks .

You also need the conical washer out of the f4 that sits on top of the spring. The only mod needed to the xx is to cut your spaceer maybe 20 to 27 m shorter depended on where your want the preload start .

I just though of one thing , I have not checked for clearance at full compression, this may be a major issue

I will update when i figure it out in a day or 2.

I just checked there r clearance issues at full compression , so the adjuster wont work unless the damping rode is shortened

Update, i could not find any cheap b12 caps so .. i made do wi the f4 ones

I just drilled out 25 mm of thread in the cap so the rod can screw up in 25 mm further . I got rid of the jam nut and put 2 5mm set screws cross ways in the cap bearing on the damper rod to keep it from unscrewing from the cap. Oh i welded up the hole in the cap for the rebound adjuster. thats about it. I have a range of 12 or 20 mm of preload adjustement . :icon_smile:

I just realized that i havn't checked the clearance for the damper rod to be the extra 25 mm down the cartridge. So I have to add that they fit but they may not work ! Sorry for the false alarm !!!!! I will work it out in a day or to and report back ..

Again sorry for the incomplete info !!

• 2 weeks later...

Got em working !

Tell us more............

Pictures...........

I posted most of the details in the edit of my first post. The only real trick is drill up in the bottom to take out 25 mm of thread so the damper rod can screw up in farther . There are two cross ways holes cap that you dont ned anymore, I ust drilled them 5/32 tapped them for 5mm and screwed in the set screws. I'll try and take some pics later tonight or tomorrow....

• 6 months later...

any update on this herbxx?

It didn't work out yet !

I gave up, as I lost confidence in the amount of material that left for the threads in the adjuster part , after i drilled the holes deeper. The holes for the damper rods in the fork cap had to be drilled deeper because the damper rod was too long as the f4 cap goes farther into the fork leg then the xx cap.

I think there was another issue but i cant remember what it was .( i may have wrecked one of the parts) I still have the parts and it might still be possible , it just became too much of a pain and i decided to work on other stuff.

Herb