CBR1100XX.org Forum

Peg feelers scraping

arcticflipper

Firstly thanks for all the advice with regards to the front shocks and springs etc.

After a couple of tries and tests I finally found the correct setup for me with regards to forks and springs.

I did have a problem with the Wilbers spring being too stiff - like what was said on the forum I think by Redbird. The static sag and loaded sag was just never 100%. I changed the spring over to a K-tech - also linear spring. Valving was also done, but by a Racing company based in South Africa. Fairly cheap, but 100% worth it. The OEM spring was just too soft, and I could also not get the static and loaded sag set correctly. I'm such a lightweight that the loaded sag is only 1mm more than the static sag on the forks.

The forks is back to OEM specs, and no shim on the rear. Rear still has a the OEM shock. That's coming up next.

I recenlty changed to Michelin Macadam 100X tires - the old ones were a bit worn and cupped. Well that's putting it mildly.

The rake and trail of the bike has not changed, still OEM.

Now the problem I am having is that I seem to scrape the peg feelers way too easily in turns.

Is there a solution for this, or am I now starting to push the XX too hard?

I can say that, hell it feels stable 2 up now, no problems putting it down in corners and flicking it around.

I actually prefer the 2 up riding and feeling that I'm getting on the XX now to single riding. The bike just feels so much more planted in the corners.

I have not yet scratched the fairings or centre stand, but I'm too shit scared to look down and try and see just how much clearance is left when the peg feelers start scraping.

The feelers are turned in all the way, on the shortes setting they can be.

Any Ideas as to what I could possibly do?

Are there any "cheaper" race fairings available for the XX.

Is it worth my while looking into adjustable peg sets?

Flipper,

You might start with removing the peg feelers. They just unscrew.

It sounds to me like the suspension is still too stiff for you. Especially at the rear since you said you prefer the handling two up.

I would also suggest that you are maybe not riding the bike in the optimal way.

Check out my suggestions in the thread on "cornering advise needed" to learn a bit about using body position to reduce lean angle in corners. You need not hang off the bike or even stick out a knee. Just get your upper body forward, down and towards the inside of the turn. You do this by weighting the pegs and sliding your butt rearward first and then trying to bite your inside mirror. The difference is dramatic, if you take the time to learn.

Guest rockmeupto125

I've seen different length peg feelers in different countries, so let's clarify that first. Here in the US, they're a little over an inch long.

I would say to take the peg feelers off. If you are then hitting the pegs, you should be leaning off the bike. If you are hitting the pegs with two people on, its time to back off. Once the pegs hit, the centerstand and side cover are not far behind, and you lose your safety margin. Once they hit, your chance of tossing the bike down the road is exponentially increased, as that will unload the suspension and tires.

I've seen different length peg feelers in different countries, so let's clarify that first. Here in the US, they're a little over an inch long.

I would say to take the peg feelers off. If you are then hitting the pegs, you should be leaning off the bike. If you are hitting the pegs with two people on, its time to back off. Once the pegs hit, the centerstand and side cover are not far behind, and you lose your safety margin. Once they hit, your chance of tossing the bike down the road is exponentially increased, as that will unload the suspension and tires.

Don't I remember seeing a video about this very thing happening. Somebody on a black bike and a very big dropoff........Pete have you seen it??

I'm such a lightweight that the loaded sag is only 1mm more than the static sag on the forks.

What,do you weight 10 pounds ? :blink:

That is due to the friction in the forks,to get correct sag you need to push on the fork and slowly release.Measure the sag.Lift the front of the bike inch or two,slowly release,measure the sag..Add both numbers and divide by 2.That is your properly measured sag.

You gonna need help to get that right with you,rider on board.There is no way the difference will be 1mm unless you have some surplas suspension parts from WW II german Tiger tank.

BTW,stock spring is 0.95,if you are lightweight it should work perfectly.

I don`t think front end is undersprung for normal people.The problem is that so many guys here in U.S. dine in Burger King,McD`s etc, and they are "little" overweight,so the whole fad started about XX being undersprung in the front.

Valving and rear shock it is whole other issue.

As far as the peg feelers,they are like 3 inches long,right,just remove them,or hung off the seat,but if you weight 10 ponds it won`t make any difference anyway :lol:

You will gain some ground clearance if you shim your rear shock. Some replacement shocks have adjustable ride height too. Go for a new, high quality rear shock if you can swing it.

BTW,stock spring is 0.95,if you are lightweight it should work perfectly.

I was under the impression the stock spring was .89 and the Wilburs was .9. Am I wrong?

I weigh about 180 with all gear and the Wilburs seems to work great as far as sag settings go.

My advise is don't take off the feelers. They tell you how far you are over.

When I had my stock suspension setup, before I shimed my front fork springs and cranked up my rear preload I used to drag my fairing right after my feelers hit. Now it is a badge of honor, but some don't like to scratch their fairing.

Once I set my rider sag to 1.5 inch, all I dragged were my feelers. I was about 280 pounds when I changed it.

I also am running the Superhawk feelers which are much shorter than the factory XX feelers.

When I had my stock suspension setup, before I shimed my front fork springs and cranked up my rear preload I used to drag my fairing right after my feelers hit. Now it is a badge of honor, but some don't like to scratch their fairing.

I have scraped my fairing before hitting the feelers! I don't like that much.

Arctic, do you use all of your rear tire when you scraping the pegs? If you don't, I am quite sure that your rear is riding low. In this case I would consider shimming and/or stiffer spring.

Does this happens when you hit a bump mid-turn or in a completely flat road. If the latter happens maybe you need more compression damping, i.e. an aftermarket shock.

Personally, I have used all of my rear tire but I 've never felt my pegs scraping, but I run 4mm shim in the rear and a 18 kg/mm rear spring but I am considerably heavier than you.

Arctic - does the bike FEEL better with the new tyres?

Reason for the question is that I changed from Bridgestone BT010/BT020 combo to a Metzler Z6/Z6 matched set, and with no other changes besides chain lube manage to scrape both pegs - where with the Bridgestones I only *occasionally* touched the toe of my boot down. (I am a self-confessed woosie allergic to road-rash and hospitals)

The Metzlers are far more confidence inspiring... could this be part of your problem? The bike just FEELS better thru corners?

Arctic, do you use all of your rear tire when you scraping the pegs? If you don't, I am quite sure that your rear is riding low. In this case I would consider shimming and/or stiffer spring.

Does this happens when you hit a bump mid-turn or in a completely flat road. If the latter happens maybe you need more compression damping, i.e. an aftermarket shock.

Personally, I have used all of my rear tire but I 've never felt my pegs scraping, but I run 4mm shim in the rear and a 18 kg/mm rear spring but I am considerably heavier than you.

I had a set of Maxxis tires on, with more of a rounded edge, gave a bit more tire to lean on, but now I do use the full tire. I'm not sure if it happens when I hit a bump in the turn or not. i can't remember feeling a bump. Just the bike going over, very smooth entry and then a my boot touching and the feeler touching at a very similar time.

I will check the lenght of the feelers, and also get the sag numbers so that I can post it all up.

Thanks for the info so far.

Brian - It's a lot better with the macadams! Upright riding is smoother and softer, and cornering is much more confident. I did have a nice long look at the side thread, and it's soft, very soft and sticky.

I've still got the 0.90 NM Wilbers springs, they were in the bike for +- 5 days.

Lemme know if you want them.

The static front is 22mm and the loaded is 32mm

The measurement was done according to this article http://www.cbrworld.net/fireblade/suspensi...ds_by_andy_.htm

I've still got the 0.90 NM Wilbers springs, they were in the bike for +- 5 days.

Lemme know if you want them.

The static front is 22mm and the loaded is 32mm

The measurement was done according to this article http://www.cbrworld.net/fireblade/suspensi...ds_by_andy_.htm

how much?

I tend to aggree here, time to back it off a bit.

Took the XX out on the track last Sunday and pushed it as far as I could. It's a very tight and short track, and not really suited for bigger bikes at all.

I managed to get the pillions knee down on the tar, as well as the peg feelers. The total lenght of the feelers are +-41mm. Well they use to be...

Due to riding with a pillion I found it very difficult to lean off the bike, Pillion's knees and arms are in the way. She loved it, I think she might have left a mark or 2 on the seat. Thank God she was wearing a full race leather setup.

It was very unexpected to say the least.

I think the thing that amazed me the most is how well the bike handeled under these conditions. Two up the bike felt so stable.

I think it might be time for me to check the steering bearing torque figures. 1 up it feels a little loose.