CBR1100XX.org Forum

Should I go with a 190 tire vs the 180??

mruny

Seems about time to replace tires again before spring. Was thinking about trying a 190 this time. I have been running the 208zr Dunlops and the Pirelli Diablo 180s. Will I have any clearance problems if I go with the 190? And will it handle about the same?

thanks mruny

Clearnace isn't an issue, handling is.

Stick wih the 180 on a 5.5" rim.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don't want to give up any handling so I will stick with the 180s. Just thought it might look a bit better with a meatier tire.

thanks again mruny

Yeah I remember reading quite a lot on this at the old site. Seems no one had any reason to switch up. Do not remember all the cons, but do remember there were no prs.

Guest rockmeupto125

I've done it. There are no pros, unless you measure your manhood in millimeters. (Or unless, like me, you got the tires for half price and burned them off mostly on the interstate).

Yeah I remember reading quite a lot on this at the old site. Seems no one had any reason to switch up. Do not remember all the cons, but do remember there were no prs.

I agree, I don't want to go the wrong way with my handling just for a look. I like to run the Blue Ridge and Deals Gap and like to have all the handling I can get,wink..

thanks mruny

Yeah, we had a couple good long threads on it on the old site. In a nutshell, what happens when you put a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim is that you change the tire's profile so that the shoulders of your tread area are greatly steepened because the sidewalls of the wider tire are cantilevered out by a rim that's too narrow for it, while the middle of the tire is flexed up into a pointier profile than it was designed to be. Seems like there's some other effect, like heating up the tire sidewalls due to more flex, but I can't remember right now. If you want to run a 190, you need to go with a 6.00 or 6.25 inch rim, or get used to either wider chicken strips or having it step out on you, esp. as it gets worn in.

Yeah, we had a couple good long threads on it on the old site. In a nutshell, what happens when you put a 190 on a 5.5 inch rim is that you change the tire's profile so that the shoulders of your tread area are greatly steepened because the sidewalls of the wider tire are cantilevered out by a rim that's too narrow for it, while the middle of the tire is flexed up into a pointier profile than it was designed to be. Seems like there's some other effect, like heating up the tire sidewalls due to more flex, but I can't remember right now. If you want to run a 190, you need to go with a 6.00 or 6.25 inch rim, or get used to either wider chicken strips or having it step out on you, esp. as it gets worn in.

Hey thanks for the info. BeforeI go to all that mess I will hang with what I have. Kinda freaked above the possibility of handling problems. I like the swisties. Thanks again and have a good year riding. mruny

I asked about this before and got mixed answers, but according to the article, 190 is made for the 6" rim. It will work properly also.

So, is anybody getting the 6" rim and running the 190?

It's been made clear that the 190 wont work (handling wise) on a 5.5.

Dave

Here is an article about this exact question.

Posted by Sportsrider on their website.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_size/

In the end it is still your decision what you want to do.

Hey arcticflipper;

The article was perfect and answered all my questions. I will hang with my 180s. I won't give up any handling for a bit of rubber. Thanks again for the info, I owe you one. mruny

I asked about this before and got mixed answers, but according to the article, 190 is made for the 6" rim. It will work properly also.

So, is anybody getting the 6" rim and running the 190?

It's been made clear that the 190 wont work (handling wise) on a 5.5.

Dave

Hey Dave.

Thanks for the reply, any help is appreciated. I am going to hang with the 180s. Have a great bike year. Thanks agian mruny

Great article; thanks! I was taking my info mostly from Kevin Camerons' book, where he is talking generally about putting too wide a tire on a rim too narrow. Interesting to see the 180/190 profiles specifically addressed, since these are the ones we're always talking about with the XX.

The shoulders of the tread are indeed steeper, but the middle of the tread description is interesting. Riding with a friend who had a 190 on his Bird, I saw exactly what the article describes, while he was wary of getting the bike very far over due to handling feedback. When I looked at his warn rear tire, it was amazing how squared off the middle of the tire was from wear -- and that article seems pretty well to describe that.

Not trying to start an argument but if 180 is better, then why do all the new liter bikes come with a 190 on a 6" rim. I'm pretty sure that an R1 or CBR 1K can wip our bikes in a corner

I realize that the original poster is talking about a stock rim, but some of us are getting new rims and they are available in 6" wide :P

Dave

Not trying to start an argument but if 180 is better, then why do all the new liter bikes come with a 190 on a 6" rim. I'm pretty sure that an R1 or CBR 1K can wip our bikes in a corner

They're also at least 100lbs lighter, and putting down more power than the XX is. There is no doubt the 190 will slow steering slightly, even on a 6" rim, but the additional contact patch when leaned over is worth the slight loss in handling.

Meaning, if you're a very aggressive rider, you'll benefit from a 6" rim & 190 rear tire. Most would just notice (if anything), the small increase in turning effort.

FWIW, the new ZX-10 comes with a 190/55 rear. Engineers say it gives a better profile for handling & stability. IIRC, magazines have said the 190/55 & 180/55 have a very similar profile if that's telling you anything.

I realize that the original poster is talking about a stock rim, but some of us are getting new rims and they are available in 6" wide :P

Dave

And with a 190 tire on the back they will STILL whip your bike in a corner they are lighter and have more rear wheel HP. The 190 tire will provide a fractionally larger contact patch when leaned to the maximum but only on that 6 or better yet 6.5" rim. If you try it on the stock rim, you don't gain any contact patch and cause transition handling to go to hell.

Dave

And with a 190 tire on the back they will STILL whip your bike in a corner they are lighter and have more rear wheel HP. The 190 tire will provide a fractionally larger contact patch when leaned to the maximum but only on that 6 or better yet 6.5" rim. If you try it on the stock rim, you don't gain any contact patch and cause transition handling to go to hell.

...and those bikes have their entire geometry changed to suit a 190 tyre. Just changing a rim size will not get your bike handling like an R1. (who would want that anyway?) Try taking on one of the sports bikes on a bumpy corner, you'll kill em! On a smooth road...well...depends on how much you want it :D

I've got two 1000RR's and one is a dedicated track bike that I'm putting together. I will be using a 180 on the rear this coming Track season for quicker turn in or the new 190/55 which mimics the 180/55 profile to a great degree.