CBR1100XX.org Forum

Problem with Wilber shock

OZDave

As if I'm not paranoid enough about my bike. Now I'll be losing sleep over an almost new shock :icon_wall:

I know how you feel. I keep looking at the F'ken thing every 5 minutes to see if it has gone again. :icon_mad:

No problems so far but I haven't ridden a huge amount since it was repaired.:icon_shhh:

Ruhi: Have you sent it back yet?

No, I've just found out about it yesterday so I'll talk to him (Klaus) today and go from there. I have my old one so it is just a matter of two more swaps.... I placed a white paper tissue underneath last night... Sure enough, yes it does leak oil. :icon_sad:

Edited to add:

I spoke with him this morning realizing that he is only 40 miles away from me. So, I'll drop it off there and wait till they fix it and pick it up but I am going to wait till it gets bit warmer than 20F (that's what it is right now).

I spoke with Klaus this morning and my shock has been rebuilt. He didn't give me any difinitive explanation as to what failed but said that it may have been any one of a number of seals that could have failed.

So after spending some $70 on shipping it there and back I get a newly rebuilt shock that I will be keeping my eye on for a while.

I spoke with Klaus this morning and my shock has been rebuilt. He didn't give me any difinitive explanation as to what failed but said that it may have been any one of a number of seals that could have failed.

So after spending some $70 on shipping it there and back I get a newly rebuilt shock that I will be keeping my eye on for a while.

Wilbers didn't even cover the shipping?

Yea. WTF?

Yea. WTF?

When I spoke with him yesterday, he didn't sound amused about this whole thing. He was short, uninterested and sounded more like annoyed. It must have been because he was leaving for vacation till March 21st as of yesterday.

I presume they get paid for the warranty work they do so I don't what the deal is and also I don't see anything in the Wilbers Garantiebedingungen / Garantischein paper in regards to shipping cost. At this website, he states shipping must be paid by the customer for the service but doesn't say anything about for warranty service. It may be worth asking him to pay return shipping at least. I am going to take mine personally and wait to pick it up (40 miles trip for me).

Few years ago, I've discovered a crack on one of the joints on my speakers. They were almost ten years old. Called the company and told them. They arranged them to be picked up (almost 200lb each) and asked me to pay only the portion of the return shipping which was from delivery truck at my address to the door (yes, indeed, there is a seperate cahrge for it). They did not only fix the problem but refinish the exterior as well as recalibrating them to the standards. That's what I call "warranty service". It is a Kentucky company, THIEL, btw.

It may be worth asking him to pay return shipping at least.

Ha! Good luck with that. One of their guys called (not Klaus) and wanted a credit card number.

I asked for what (because I had a sneaking suspicion that he was going to try and charge me for the rebuild) and sure enough the guy on the phone said:

"For the shock rebuild"

I said it was covered under warantee and asked to speak with Klaus.

Not likely that they will pay shipping.

When I spoke with him yesterday, he didn't sound amused about this whole thing. He was short, uninterested and sounded more like annoyed.

Yeah...That sounds like good ol' Klaus. Nagged the shit out of him to get my shock before Hookers last year, guy acted like he was doing me a favor. :icon_rolleyes:

Well, I hate to be the one saying this, but...

I guess I'll be looking at HyperPro and Ohlins this summer (or round about there) when it's time to buy a shock... :(

Mike

You might consider Penske too while you are looking.

I guess I'll be looking at HyperPro and Ohlins this summer (or round about there) when it's time to buy a shock... :(

Mike

Yeah... I'm happy to say my used Penske (was Big Boy's) doesn't leak... Knocks on wood!

Mike

Yeah... I'm happy to say my used Penske (was Big Boy's) doesn't leak... Knocks on wood!

I want the preload adjuster though... I haven't been able to find one the Penske for the 'bird, unless it's an option when you order or something...

Mike

If I was leaving in US, Penske would have been my No1 choice.

Back in '97 when I was finishing my degree in UK, I discussed whith my tutors

doing some work for my FYP on a racing shock. I remember that Penske (new then in UK)

was highly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Steve at Wilber's today regarding the leak on my pre-load line.

After he told me it was not possible, he/we agreed to send it back to fix the

"not a problem that a few drops of fluid is leaking out." :icon_confused: problem.

Got quotes from different shippers. Gonna sent a return label along so they don't screw me on shipping. About $20 round trip. 3-5 days each way, probably a week or two turn around. I'm not planning on getting the shock back till mid April. (for sure by TBME). I'll pull it this weekend, put stocker back on and send it out Monday.

Who would have thought such a well built item would leak?

So, how many people are NOT having problems with the shock. The group buy had lots of buyers. Sounds like a quality control problem though.

I'm worried and I don't even have the XX I bought the shock for! If I end up getting a different bike, this thread could cost me lots on the Re-sale.

So, how many people are NOT having problems with the shock.

Well, I have two Wilbers, one in the Blackbird and the FJR, and about a combined 27,000 miles between the two since installation. Both work perfectly (huge improvement on the FJR in particular), nary even a hint of any seepage anywhere..... IPB Image

I put one on my '97 as a result of the group buy. HUGE improvement---lots of canyon, pretty choppy riding since then----no problem with the shock---none. Happy I made the buy------happy trails kel

The shock worked great. Even if my preload spewed it's entire volume it would still be rideable. I realize that things under pressure can leak. What I was surprised at was the lack of interest from Wilber’s N.J. to make it right.

I'm sure when I get it back it will last a long time.

Don't worry Dale you're still da man.......... :icon_cool:

Loving the new levers, and they haven't leaked one bit... :icon_evilgrin:

I don't even have the XX I bought the shock for! If I end up getting a different bike, this thread could cost me lots on the Re-sale.

Put me on the interested list. :icon_wink:

So, how many people are NOT having problems with the shock.

No problems so far :knock_wood_icon:

I've checked several times since reading these threads....no leaks.

+1 :icon_clap:

That's sort of what I figured. A 10% failure rate isn't a design problem, it's a quality control issue.

FWIW, I've got the Shock with ride height adjustment & pre-load, for an approx 250 lb load, riding semi-aggressively. Also got the front springs.

If they' go up for sale, this'll be the first place I post.