CBR1100XX.org Forum

How long do you let your oil drain for?

BarryG

Obviously I drain out the old oil but the bike will "drip" oil into the pan seemingly forever after the majority is out. Was doing some work inside for about an hour so just let the bike drain/drip w/the plug and filter removed. After an hour, no dripping. Do most of y'all wait until no more dripping or just refill after 15 min or so?

BTW....I always refill w/4 qts never 4.1 like the manual says and I don't torque the plug. I just tighten it pretty well......always done it this way since my torque wrench is effed up.

Thx,

Barry

Properly place oil drain pan

Remove drain plug

Crack open a cold beer beer and finish

Button 'er up

Move oil drain pan to under filter

Remove filter

Crack open a beer and finish

Remove oil drain pan,

Install new filter

Remove oil fill plug

Empty gallon of oil

Bungee gallon of oil so can drain

Cleanup

Crack open a beer and congrat myself on another job well done

In the cars I take the plug out, Check the rest of the fluids, tire pressures, drink a beer, and lube the hinges. By then it's drained enough.

On the bikes I have a pan that allows me to drain the oil pan and remove the filter at the same time. While that's dripping I wipe the bike down with Honda polish while drinking a beer.

Properly place oil drain pan

Remove drain plug

Crack open a cold beer beer and finish

Button 'er up

Move oil drain pan to under filter

Remove filter

Remove oil drain pan,

Install new filter

Remove oil fill plug

Empty gallon of oil

Bungee gallon of oil so can drain

Cleanup

Crack open a beer and congrat myself on another job well done

i think i am gonna crack open a beer myself after that one....

Warm the bike up before hand, then shut it down, wait 15 minutes for oil to collect in pan, then drain. Wil get a better drain that way with the hotter oil. As far as time, no more than 10 minutes is necessary. As said, pop the plug, then go do something else like check fluids or get drunk, then come back to it. If you watch it drain it takes longer.

When I come home, I'll let it cool down alittle and take the plug out. I put the new oil filter on the seat and go in the house. The next day, I take the other bike to work. When I come home, I finish the oil change. I guess you can think of why I put the filter on the seat?

I usually let it sit for maybe 10-15 minutes after I get home from work and pull the plug...

Get new oil filter ready, fill out UOI card, clean up some stuff around the garage, you know... about 10 minutes...

I then tip the bike to both sides to try and get pools out of places in the head and such, then let it sit until it is pretty well done dripping again (10 minutes or so), which is usually how long it takes me to clean my headlight, taillight and turn signals, and lube the chain, and change the oil filter.

Then I button it back up, put oil in it, start it up, check for leaks, and we're off...

Mike

Yeah.......usually I wait about 15 min but this time it was an hour b/c I was distracted doing something but no dripping after 1 hour but doubt I'll wait that long again intentionally.

Been using Castrol syntec non-energing conserving 10W-40 the last 2 oil changes. XX runs good on this stuff! 8)

I guess you can think of why I put the filter on the seat?

Cause you like to sit on big round black things?

Something like this? :D

frenchvaselinead.jpg

Cause it makes the oil all warm and runny, easing the task of getting it out of the motor.

'Sides, hot oil coating the back of your hand as you pull the plug is a character builder. Especially if your lying on your back and it runs clear up to your elbow and you bang your head on the foot peg trying to get out of the way. DAMHIK. Anyone who can avoid a string of profanity under those conditions has my vote for Pope, if not sainthood.