CBR1100XX.org Forum

Different shock in 01-up models??

SwampNut

The Ohlins book shows a different shock part number for the 01-02 models (03 unlisted). Anybody know if they really did change? Has anybody done the 900 shock on an 01 or later? Anyone got an 01-up shock out of the bike?

Has anybody done the 900 shock on an 01 or later?

I had one bolted into my '01 for about half an hour. It made a funny wooshing noise and I sold it to some Canadian, RaceTech spring and all. Never rode it, but it bolted right in and was the same length as the stocker.

I had one bolted into my '01 for about half an hour.

Do you recall if it was the shorter one or the longer one? The 12.5" (longer) model is what fits the earlier years.

It's very strange that they'd change the part number in the Ohlins book.

I'm not sure what, if any, difference there is with the Ohlins, but when I ordered mine from Hard Racing I tried using the older (pre 02) number. They told me that was not the correct model and that there was a new model for mine. I have not mounted my Ohlins yet, so you are welcome to take a look at it if it will help.

Carlos, it was the longer model, ordered from a salvage yard by part number supplied on the main site. I also know it was the longer model 'cause they sent me the wrong (short) one first.

Got mine for a pre 02 from Hardracing, for my 02. They didn't know about the difference at the time, so they called Ohlins, who supposedly told them the difference was in how the preload adj' mounts, no fitment issue. I didn't have any issues putting it on, and it feels good.

Francis

Do you recall if it was the shorter one or the longer one? The 12.5" (longer) model is what fits the earlier years.

MWO-003, 12.5" long

I still have it mounted, and even though it makes noise on rebound, it works just fine (and it was cheap! :wink: )

Ohlins HO207 for Honda CBR 1100XX 2001-

46HRCS

Hole diameter looks to be about 3/8"

Length from middle of each hole looks to be about 12 3/4"

Setup data on instructions say the following:

Shock Absorber Length - 319 mm - by my calculation that works out to about 12.56", so my measurement of 12 3/4" may be off because of the tape I was using.

Shock Absorber stroke - 52 mm

Spring preload - 11 mm

Rebound damping adjuster - 14 clicks

Compression damping adjuster - 12 clicks

I have emails going out to Ohlins, Harris, and another source to find out what the diff. may be. I have an Ohlins HO639 on my XX...should have kept the Penske..it's a better built shock.

Howie

I know the Penske Howie had on his '01 will fit an '00. Lucky for me you decided to go with Ohlins Howie. :) I love it and it really makes the bike more fun to ride. It's a more comfortable ride too.

My Penske is an 8981. It's the one with compression and rebound damping. The compression damping adjustment is in the remote reservoir. They will tailor the spring and damping shims to your specs or weight if you are buying a new shock.

Traxxion Dynamics offers a Penske shock without the remote reservoir. I almost bought one of those before I was lucky enough to find my very slightly used shock. I think some of the other guys on the list bought the Traxxion Dynamics model and are happy with it.

well, I got two replies, one from Ohlins and the other from Harris Performance and they both said the same thing.

The 639 shock and the 207 shock are basically the same thing. The 207 is different at the top of the shock only for mounting perposes,( different hoses and position of hoses). There are some internal differences but they are not performance related (shaft 3mm longer, longer shaft jet to accomodate the longer shaft etc.) The shim stacks are all the same regardless of iteration of shock. Now there are 3 different 639 shocks.... there is a fourth number after 639. that number tells you the series of the shock. a "0" is the first iteration all the way to a "3" which is the last iteration. The "3" iteration is identical to the 207 in every spec but for mounting. So in a nut shell, the differences are only for mounting purposes. A 207 will fit a 2000 and earlier and vise versa

Howie