CBR1100XX.org Forum

Intermitent shutdown problem

Big-V316

Hi Guys

I just picked up my BABY a 1999 cbr1100xx this past weekend and have been riding all week. The bike came with stock exhuast and a PCII. The problem that I am having is that three times now the FI light comes on while I am riding then the bike shuts off. I put the kick stand down and check the battery cables and what not. After a couple of minutes I try starting her and she cranks right up. Last night I took the PCII off but it happened again today. It happened in the morning and I continued to ride the rest of the day and it was fine.

Also where should temp guage stay mine stays almost at the in town and on the freeway drops to a little above the halfway mark.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Big-V316

Do a search on the forum for wire loom issues. The problem is associated with an accumulation of corrosion, and may be a contributor to your woes. Check your grounds as well.

Guest rockmeupto125

Agreed with jrd. Also make sure your battery is strong and has a good charge, but I have a suspicion he is correct about the loom. Don't worry about the temp gauge unless its pegged while you are on the highway.

Yep, wiring loom......

I brought my 1999 to the shop today to get a brand new wiring loom....

I had the same problem lately. It started not so bad, but the problem got worse in about 4 months.....

The loom costs here in Holland about $ 600,--

The mechanic estimates 10 - 12 hours of work at $ 75,-- per hour (normal rates here...). So, no Santa this year..... :cry:

It's probably worth a quick check of the ECU codes.  Check out "Not Automatic" for the procedure if you don't have a manual.

For a real check you need to go to the official Honda-dealer. He will plug in the computer, and do a readout of the ECU. Most likely you will get a non-defined error code. This is usually a ground or zero fault....

There is a possibility to repair the loom yourself if you are any good with electronics. The problem is a bad electrical (unused) plug in the lowest part of the loom. Water seeping into the loom because of rain or washing the bike, will get stored there, and will corrode the plug and wires. It is usually possible to take out the complete plug, and simply connect the wires together. The plug was only used to test the engine and ECU in the factory before it got assembled......

If you want me to, I can look for a link where the process is described in English. It was posted on the British Blackbird board.....

You can do a check of the error codes at home without any special computer. Check out the manual.

You guys are sure quick to jump to conclusions about a bike you haven't even seen.

You can do a check of the error codes at home without any special computer.  Check out the manual.

You guys are sure quick to jump to conclusions about a bike you haven't even seen.

Sorry, you are wrong! If it is the wiring-loom problem, you will NOT have any error codes available other than general error....... This error will come up with all sorts of problems, so it doesn't tell you anything....

Also, the problems specified are 100% the same as mine. My bike is this week at the dealer to replace the full wiring-loom. On the Honda computer they could tell me 100% sure what the problem was. My dealer told me to expect a lot more 1999 and 2000 models with this problem. The problem will not occur if you never drive in the rain, or never wash the bike with a hose.

If it is the wiring-loom problem,

That's my point. No one has established that this guy has a wiring problem yet. Many people jump to the worst possible conclusion without checking the basics first.

I certainly don't know any more about this guy's motorcycle than you do, but I wouldn't advocate major surgery before doing a little diagnosis first.

The problem is a bad electrical (unused) plug in the lowest part of the loom. Water seeping into the loom because of rain or washing the bike, will get stored there, and will corrode the plug and...

Here's the part I don't understand. Why would you buy a complete new harness to the tune of $600.00, pay someone to install it costing another $750.00, when all along you know where the problem lies & what it would take to permanently fix it?!

I really don't get that part... :?: :?: :?:

The problem is a bad electrical (unused) plug in the lowest part of the loom. Water seeping into the loom because of rain or washing the bike, will get stored there, and will corrode the plug and...

Here's the part I don't understand. Why would you buy a complete new harness to the tune of $600.00, pay someone to install it costing another $750.00, when all along you know where the problem lies & what it would take to permanently fix it?!

I really don't get that part... :?: :?: :?:

Two reasons:

1. I am a mechanic, not an electronic. Anything I do in that area ends in disaster......

2. I got a great deal offered, and I only have to pay a small percentage of what it should cost......

I too am a technician (mechanic) and rest assured no one else has ever laid a hand on my XX. I've seen way too many hack artists out there and have personally seen some of the work/damage they do.

I'm not saying they're all bad, but a lot of mechanics don't take any pride in what they do...

Kev

You didn't mention if it would crank or have lights when it stops. If yes, perhaps a fuel delivery problem? I have a '97 so don't know about the fuel injection models. I have had a Toyota Supra and an '88 Corvette that did that same shit when the electric fuel pumps were dying.

If no, it won't crank or acts like no power (no Head/tail light) check ground conections------then install a known good battery (switch with a friend for an outing). Dieing batteries are not always 'now it's good, now it's not'. Just because the battery that is in there is 'new'---it doesn't guarantee it's good.

Maybe this will help---maybe not---but easy, inexpensive stuff 1st-----good luck----------happy trails kel

Thanks for all the help guys. To answer your question it does have power and all the light work. Does this bike have a sensor thats shuts the bike down if it over heats. I have noticed that the guage reads almost to the H in town and above halfway on the highway.

Thanks

Guest rockmeupto125
Last night I took the PCII off but it happened again today. It happened in the morning and I continued to ride the rest of the day and it was fine.

Just to clarify....does that mean you left the PC OUT of the system?

Thanks for all the help guys. To answer your question it does have power and all the light work.  Does this bike have a sensor thats shuts the bike down if it over heats. I have noticed that the guage reads almost to the H in town and above halfway on the highway.

Thanks

The temp gauge on the 99 has a "range" (marked on the gauge) that is acceptable. My 99 runs close to the bottom of that marked range on the highway and close to the top of that range in traffic.

Just keep watching the problem..... Mine also did this at first once every few days. A few weeks later it was every day, and a few more weeks later it was every few minutes......

Now the bike only runs in safety-mode......

This week I hope to have it returned working properly...... :roll:

Yes the power commander is out and the problem remains. I am going to dig into it Saturday and see what I can find out. My plan is to check all the wiring hookups and the ground connections. I don't know if I will get into the loom yet. That may have to wait untill I have more time. Any suggestions on what else to check? Thanks :idea:

the wire loom has two connectors one by the front of the seat and one by the front of the motor. they are covered by tape. you can tell in that there is a bulge of something under that is rectangle. carefully cut the tape away and there is one green and one that is brown. they are ground wire connectors, mostly. they tye groups of wires together basically. the top will unplug from the bottom that has the wires. the top has jumpers in groups.

the connections corrode.

take the seat off and the rear cowl would be nice, disconnect the battery positive and find the bulge and cut the tape and there is a catch to hold the top on ,put a small screwdriver under the top and release the catch and remove the top and clean the contacts.

the front is under the tank, not that hard to do but if you want the instructions i will go over it if you pm me

I removed them all together, not that hard but some of the wires can't be soldered. would not suggest unless you are confident and supplied.

Grounds all go through these....bad design,,,,,only one.

There is a link somewhere on the forum that details the location of the suspect connector. Mick from the UK posted it. You might start there if you still think you have a wiring problem.

the wire loom has two connectors one by the front of the seat and one by the front of the motor. they are covered by tape. you can tell in that there is a bulge of something under that is rectangle. carefully cut the tape away and there is one green and one that is brown. they are ground wire connectors, mostly. they tye groups of wires together basically. the top will unplug from the bottom that has the wires. the top has jumpers in groups.

the connections corrode.

take the seat off and the rear cowl would be nice, disconnect the battery positive and find the bulge and cut the tape and there is a catch to hold the top on ,put a small screwdriver under the top and release the catch and remove the top and clean the contacts.

the front is under the tank, not that hard to do but if you want the instructions i will go over it if you pm me

I removed them all together, not that hard but some of the wires can't be soldered. would not suggest unless you are confident and supplied.

Grounds all go through these....bad design,,,,,only one.

Do the loom yourself.it's only time you need. about a hour.follow those instructions.it the one on the leftside of the seat. i have done it twice, in 6 years of owning my 99 bird. second time i really cleaned the connection.

Check out my 99 dead bird thread. The electrical problem I had started off intermittently twice, and then one final. Mine was completely dead with the exception of the clock, but I saw there were several other connections up there by the headlight. When the connection "jiggled" it would sometimes connect and then go dead again. It was a simple fix by just re-plugging in the connection.

Thats about my only experience. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be way out of the ball park on this, but have you checked the bank-angle sensor? The original owner of my bike (2000 model) encountered a problem where the bike had an intermittent problem shutting down while being ridden, especially on curvy roads. The bank-angle sensor (which shuts the fuel off if the bike falls over) was defective. It basically has a small fluid filled container & pendulum. In this case, the pendulum developed a tiny crack allowing it to fill w/fluid, thus causing the sensor to mal-function. From what you're describing, this probably isn't your problem, but I thought I'd throw in this tid-bit of info in the event someone encounters a similar problem. I had heard of bank-angle sensors on other bikes, but never knew the 'bird had one untill the owner told me this story.