CBR1100XX.org Forum

Galfer Black brake pad mileage report

SwampNut

Well, it's like I expected. The Galfer Black pads don't go as far as the EBC HH, but are kinder on the rotors. After 20k miles they are pretty thin, and maybe good for 5k more. The EBC's gave me about 30k. However, rotor wear is nearly immeasurable, whereas 30k with the EBC's ate about 1/3 of their rated service life. At this point the pads aren't as "bitey" as they were when new, but are still very good.

The Blacks were always more linear than the EBC HH. The HH are grabbier, but they are not linear across pressure/friction or heat/friction. They don't have much friction when cold, then grab like all hell as they heat, then go off again as they get really hot. The Blacks are just about flat, more predictable.

I'm going to replace them with another set of Blacks.

Note: I also love the Greens, actually prefer them, but not in the rain. The greens also wear faster, but are easiest on the rotors.

Well, it's like I expected.  The Galfer Black pads don't go as far as the EBC HH, but are kinder on the rotors.  After 20k miles they are pretty thin, and maybe good for 5k more.  The EBC's gave me about 30k.  However, rotor wear is nearly immeasurable, whereas 30k with the EBC's ate about 1/3 of their rated service life.  At this point the pads aren't as "bitey" as they were when new, but are still very good.

The Blacks were always more linear than the EBC HH.  The HH are grabbier, but they are not linear across pressure/friction or heat/friction.  They don't have much friction when cold, then grab like all hell as they heat, then go off again as they get really hot.  The Blacks are just about flat, more predictable.

I'm going to replace them with another set of Blacks.

Note:  I also love the Greens, actually prefer them, but not in the rain.  The greens also wear faster, but are easiest on the rotors.

I just picked up a pair of the sintered Galfer pads for the 929---do they make these for the XX???

Do they produce a lot of black brake dust, like the EBC Blacks do?

Um...how would I tell the brake dust from the mud and dirt accumulated on the wheels...? I really don't know. Never keep the bike clean enough to tell. But I do know the greens produce a lot of dust, being organic.

Alpha, don't know about that, what do they call the sintered pads?