CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas milage and jet kits

h2o player

I picked up a bird last month with 7k on the odometer. It looked to be in pretty good shape accept it was missing on one cylinder and smelled like it was running rich. I took it right from his house 10 miles down the road to Gervarsi's in Everett, WA. They pulled the carbs down and sure enough one of the float needles was stuck open and flooding out #2 cylinder.

The bike runs stong and solid with little in the way of flat spots. I am suprised that I am not able to loft the front wheel with throttle only, I have to use some clutch if I want to bring the wheel up. Is this normal? My last bike an 01 FZ1 with Ivans jet kit and a yosh slip on had the front wheel up on demand any time I was in 1st or 2nd and came up with ease in 3rd and 4th when I was running over 7k. It's not that I run around riding an unicycle I just like to be able to be on the edge and let the conditions dictate how much throttle I put down. I never expected the bird to leave me wanting.

I've looked around and do not see much in the way of Jet kits available. Any sugestions?

I have run 6 tanks of fuel through it so far and I am seeing 34mpg consistantly. Looking around the forum I see much higher numbers?

I jettted my '98 with a "Factory" kit - kit had me drill the slides (no big deal), change main jets and change slide springs - all pretty easy except for getting the carbs off the manifold. We never did succeed in doing that, so we ended up doing the jets with the carbs still on the bike - possible, but many banged knuckles!!

Anyway, the jet kit was wonderful. Completely eliminated the flat spot at about 5500 RPM, smoothed out the power band across the entire RPM range, and did not seem to have an adverse effect on mileage. In fact, I just had to have the bike smog checked, and it passed with flying colors.

Just thought you should know

-Jim

You can easily get it up by by chopping the throttle at 6,000 and then wide open but I remember the first time that I rode my 97. It didn't have much gas in it but I just rolled on the throttle to wide open and the front end just started coming up. I never had a bike that would do that before. Great feeling.

First, the 'bird weighs something like 40lbs more than the FZ1 and is longer... The longer part, coupled with your weight being much more forward has much to do with that I'd immagine...

BTW, I have the Factory Config 10 jet kit... the one where you don't have to drill the slides... Just new mains and needles. I don't ride hard much (you don't live long if you ride a 'bird hard all the time), but get 40-43 commuting (mostly highway, 75-80mph), 45-48mpg full-empty on the highway (75-80mph), and it varries WIDELY running corners, but typically, 40-45 depending...

BTW, I have factory pipes with holes in the baffles and a K&N air filter...

Mike