CBR1100XX.org Forum

Why is my bike 'wavering' at speed?

jimmystartup

Yesterday I went on a nice 350 mile ride and noticed that my bike seems to 'waver' back and forth when riding at speed. Nothing too dramatic...almost imperceptible but certainly new. The bars feel like they move about a quarter inch each directing in, what I can only describe as a 'waggling' fashion.

I recntly had new tires installed but everything is torqued and in place. The tires are Sportec M1s. Someone suggested my steering head bearings might be the culprit but they were replaced once already.

I'm open to checking them. Any thoughts?

:?

Not sure that the steering head bearing would cause it to waiver, but you may want to check the balance of the tire. I would also check the wheel bearing and spacer to make sure everything got put back together right when they changed the tire.

And make sure the tire is rotating the right direction (not put on backwards).

Good luck, and if you don't mind post up what you find.

I would also check rear tire alignment. I am now using a version of the laser tool wheel alignment jig. Shows that my alignment marks were not very accurate. But the chain now runs straight down the rear sprocket.

I would have the front tire rebalanced. Easiest, fastest and cheapest fix to start with :wink:

You don't have a Givi Wingrack and/or trunk on by chance do you? That would/could cause it.

Nope. I was standing beside the technician when he mounted and balanced the tire so I know it was done right. Can the weight slip?

I don't balance my tires with weights. I use Ride-On only for the past year. No gripes, just nice, evenly balanced tires :D When I remount, there is no mess, a paper towel wipes it all off the rim.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle.htm

Plus I picked up a nail in the rear a couple tires ago. Pulled the nail, no air came out, instant plug! I love this stuff :twisted:

I don't balance my tires with weights. I use Ride-On only for the past year. No gripes, just nice, evenly balanced tires :D When I remount, there is no mess, a paper towel wipes it all off the rim.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle.htm

Plus I picked up a nail in the rear a couple tires ago. Pulled the nail, no air came out, instant plug! I love this stuff :twisted:

wow, it's really that effective? no downside? i will have to check it out.

Their site doesn't indicate it can be used as a dynamic balancer. Do you just install the right amount and drive a few miles?

wow, it's really that effective? no downside? i will have to check it out.

Yes, it is. I have had the Bird topped out, with no wobble at all :wink:

The ads are true, vibrations are absorbed by this stuff too! I now use it in my dirtbikes, and have yet to get a flat. I am considering buying the big jug for my truck, just haven't done it yet.

Cheap insurance. I stopped carrying my plug kit on the Bird as well, unless I am riding with others, it nice to have for them :lol:

Their site doesn't indicate it can be used as a dynamic balancer. Do you just install the right amount and drive a few miles?

Taken from the above link:

The product manufactured by our competitor was originally designed for use in bicycle tires, and according to their website is “not intended for speeds in excess of 75 mph”. Ride-On is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds. Once installed in a tire, it will actually act to dampen vibrations for the life of a tire so you do not need periodic rebalancing. Although we don’t condone speeding, our dealers and customers comment that their bikes actually run smoother at speeds as high as 150 mph.

I put a bottle in and go for a ride. In about 2 miles, everything is nice and smooth 8)

Taken from the above link:
The product manufactured by our competitor was originally designed for use in bicycle tires, and according to their website is “not intended for speeds in excess of 75 mph”. Ride-On is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds. Once installed in a tire, it will actually act to dampen vibrations for the life of a tire so you do not need periodic rebalancing. Although we don’t condone speeding, our dealers and customers comment that their bikes actually run smoother at speeds as high as 150 mph.

I put a bottle in and go for a ride. In about 2 miles, everything is nice and smooth 8)

Oops, missed that --- Thanks :oops:

Did your bike wander before you replaced the tires? 1/4" movement is a ton of variation.....???? At what speed does this wandering begin? Any difference during de-celeration? Do the bars waver in corners, too? Did you inspect to see that the beads are seated properly all the way around on both sides of both tires?

I would check the tires for tracking. Geoff used his laser on his alignment tool pointed at the edge of the tire. Split the beam with the tire, then turn the tire to make sure it tracks the same all the way around. If not, check the seating of the tire. Check both side, front and rear tires.

I have also read where the front axle was installed with the pinch bolts a little too tight. The author said this caused the axle to seat wrong, and the forks to not be aligned. Might be worth loosening the pinch bolts, and re-torquing both axles.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/waligntool.htm

Check that your steering head bearings are not too tight. Also check that nothing is interferring with steering movement.

I had this same problem on an ST-1100 after replacing the steering head bearings...too tight.

Miss-matched or one new and one well worn tires may also cause this.

Let us know what fixes it.

Gregg

WHat size back tire did you put on? Have you put a shim on your rear suspension?

It almost sounds like the back has been raised too far and the steering head angle is making it too twitchy - this could come from having a 190 on the back and a 6mm shim....

WHat size back tire did you put on? Have you put a shim on your rear suspension?

It almost sounds like the back has been raised too far and the steering head angle is making it too twitchy - this could come from having a 190 on the back and a 6mm shim....

I've got the stock 180/55/17 on the rear. I've installed the Wilbers shock but haven't yet installed the springs. Therefore, I haven't taken the time to carefully set my sag. You might be onto something there...and I never noticed it with the Conti's.

A 190/50 is shorter and fatter than a 180/55, so that won't have anything to do with it. Is the Wilbers shock longer than stock? I've got the longer Wilbers and have raised it some more and mine doesn't wander at all. I don't think that the sag setting would have anything to do with it wandering unless it's way too tight and doesn't compress when you're on the bike. Mine was sent to me with too much sag in it and I had to tighten up the spring some. I'd about bet on steering head bearings.