CBR1100XX.org Forum

Akrapovic 4>2>1 Problem

OzCrow

I removed the right side fairings tonight to replace a plastic panel clip that had gone missing and found the lower edge of the radiator has almost worn a hole in one of the header pipes. :shock:

When I fitted the system a few months ago there wasn't room to refit the lower radiator support bracket between the header pipes so I left it off and moved the radiator forward. It appears that the radiator doesn't want to stay forward and has been rubbing on the header pipe.:banghead:

How have others dealt with this problem? Help please. :helpsign:

Let me guess, your XX is FI?

You've got a carbed system on there. No big deal, just a small modification to the lower mount. Take that lower radiator mount you removed and cut it, add in a bit of metal and bend it as necessary to get around the header pipe. Re-install and you're done.

Extend it as little as possible to clear the header, otherwise it will interfere with the bodywork when you go to put it back on.

Let me guess, your XX is FI?

You've got a carbed system on there. No big deal, just a small modification to the lower mount. Take that lower radiator mount you removed and cut it, add in a bit of metal and bend it as necessary to get around the header pipe. Re-install and you're done.

Extend it as little as possible to clear the header, otherwise it will interfere with the bodywork when you go to put it back on.

Yeah I have a 2004 model. I bought the system second hand from a guy that also had a 2004 model so I would have thought they would have sold him an FI system.

So why is the carbed system different to the FI?

Stock headers, carbed vs. FI, the cylinders were paired differently. I can only assume Akrapovic followed suit with their systems.

I have a carbed version of the Akra on my '01. No issues other than the fitment problem you just discovered, but I addressed that on install.

Some pics of the headers. I assume they can only be fitted one way? With no instructions it took me a while to work out which pipe fit where and I was worried I'd fitted them incorrectly.

Pipe1.sized.jpg

Pipe2.sized.jpg

You can see where the lower radiator edge has been hitting the header pipe. It has worn a half circle in the lower rear edge. :shock:

Pipe4.sized.jpg

Pipe5.sized.jpg

Pipe7.sized.jpg

Holy shit is that a clean motor. Is that thing new?

Anyway, yeah, it's all fitted correctly from what I can see. You need to get that mount bolted to the front of the motor back into that grommet. I recall someone else (Demon?) saying they used a bunch of washers and a longer bolt and bent it a little. Whatever works, just get the bottom of the radiator immobilized.

If you don't want to cut and weld on your lower radiator mount, make a spacer and place it between your mount and the engine. A longer bolt will be necessary as well as slightly bending the mount itself. That's what my bike had on it to move the radiator foreward about 1/2"

FWIW... When we fitted Warpster's 03 4-2-1, it didn't have this problem, so it would appear that they DO make a different system for later models.

Stock headers, carbed vs. FI, the cylinders were paired differently. I can only assume Akrapovic followed suit with their systems.  

I have a carbed version of the Akra on my '01. No issues other than the fitment problem you just discovered, but I addressed that on install.

Why were the exhaust's paired differently?

Why were the exhaust's paired differently?

Depending on system routing, pairing different cylinders together will provide efficiencies at different RPMs.

It is possible that the carburetion prefers one pairing, and going to FI with the control it affords, will negate the benefit, so they may change the pairing to obtain more top end power or midrange torque.

Centerstand stop I sent to you, not centerstand. :wink:

---

The Akra does not clear the centerstand on my bike, either. Redbird had the same issue, he and another forum member modified his centerstand such that it would clear. So long as you don't remove too much of the right-side vertical tube, this should be easy. Grind the tube away to clear by a few mm, and weld in a piece to give back some reinforcement to the stand.

I have heard someone has an Akra system where the centerstand clears, but I have had no luck to change the position of my exhaust to provide that.

No issues other than the fitment problem you just discovered....

Whoops....unmodified centerstand will interfere with the exhaust :oops: .

This may be specific to Akra's carbed version, no experience with their FI system.

Anyway, I made a slight modification to the centerstand as J descibed, but unfortunatley it wasn't really enough. It works fine now, but still pushes against the mid pipe. I won't deploy it without unbolting the can from the rearmost mount for the fear of the stress it puts on the carbon can.

Final solution is to move the whole upright tube on that side over maybe 3/4", but that will be a little more involved than the earlier modification. Probably this winter...

Until then, I still have it for emergencies, it just requires the extra step of removing that bolt on the can. I've recently taken to just using a rear stand for service in the garage. Still good to know I have the option of the centerstand when I'm in the middle of nowhere, even if it is a little more complicated than it should be.

Got my radiator support bracket refitted with some modifications. :D

I ended up grinding the lug off the end of the bracket which left me with a hole so I then bent the bracket and bolted it to the lower fan mount on the radiator. Now the radiator has a 5mm clearance from the header pipe.

After all my problems with the radiator support bracket I don't have the centrestand clearance problem with the exhaust.