CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N air filter does not fit 2003 Blackbird

joe

Guys,

I need your help with this one. I just received a K&N air filter (part no. HA-1199) for my 2003 Blackbird from www.kneedraggers.com The filter would not fit into my bike. I looked in the box and their was this product data sheet that said it fits the 99-00' bird. Then I double checked the part I ordered on their site and it still led me to HA-1199.

So, I figured kneedraggers had the wrong part listed and I went to K&N directly. Their site shows HA-1199 being the correct part, although the sheet in the box said it wouldn't fit the bike.

Kneedraggers placed a call in to K&N and they told them that HA-1199 was designed to fit the 1997-2003 "Blackbird" and the 2004-5 "Super Blackbird." So now I know K&N is puffing out some smoke. But, the rep at kneedraggers called one of his buddies at a Honda dealership and he confirms that the OEM part no. (MAT-something) the K&N filter is designed to replace is the OEM part no. for my bike. He then tells me that his buddy says the filter usually needs some finagling to get in. Now, I've done my share of finagling and I know when something just does not fit. Besides, the fact that they put that product data sheet in the box confirms that it's the wrong part. If the part is an OEM replacement like they claim, it should fit in like the OEM.

As far as that data sheet, K&N claims: "Oh, we need to update that." Forget ensuring that part fits, they're just going to change it to read: "Fits 99-03."

You guys are my last resort. I know a lot of you have used the K&N. Tell me, what's the deal? Could Honda have changed the air box for my year bike?

Joe

It's got the same general shape, although I believe it's a little taller than the stock filter. It seems to go into place, but the problems occurs when I attempt to screw the top air box cover back in place. The cover doesn't seat properly and I can't even "force it" down.

Joe

It's got the same general shape, although I believe it's a little taller than the stock filter. It seems to go into place, but the problems occurs when I attempt to screw the top air box cover back in place. The cover doesn't seat properly and I can't even "force it" down.

Joe

Did ya look at the fiche??? If you don't remove the seal... The filter won't fit. Did you remove the seal?

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the help guys. Yep, it was a seal I reglected to remove. All is well.

Joe

Another mystery solved. And thanks for screwing up first :icon_twisted: . I mean posting the issue and resolution :icon_wink: .

I'm about to order the same filter for my '01. Kneedraggers has the best price on that filter, like $40 bones, right?

Thanks for the help guys. Yep, it was a seal I reglected to remove. All is well.

Joe

Another mystery solved. And thanks for screwing up first :icon_twisted: . I mean posting the issue and resolution :icon_wink: .

I'm about to order the same filter for my '01. Kneedraggers has the best price on that filter, like $40 bones, right?

Draggers, is the best price @ $40 beans.........