CBR1100XX.org Forum

Concrete demolition.

Red J

I've a concrete slab out back, which is 4-6" thick, with wire mesh laid in it.

10'x20'

I've some quotes to get it gone, but I'm a cheap bastard who'd rather do it myself.

Question I have is:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...1240&lpage=none

Will something like this bitch get the job done, or am I looking for heavier duty equipment? I'd rather buy a large hammerdrill, use it, and sell it at a little loss, than rent a real jackhammer. The slab is near a concrete basement wall, kinda worried about heavier equipment having an impact on that wall. But if the slab is gonna laugh at this kind of tool, no use in trying.

If'n ya been where I am, lemme know what you think.

Bobcat with a hydraulic hammer will do it in one day 8) Seriously, that's the right equipment for this size job. If you are worried about the foundation wall, you can do some hand work there to isolate the joint a little. But to do it all with that little hammer might take awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 10 X 10 slab the same (4-6"thick) with wire.

Big backhoe, putting in new sewer lines, crushed about 2.5 feet on a corner so I decided to cut a line across with a concrete saw making it a 10 X 7 slab.

I made the cut no problem but only had a 6lb sledge. Was a hell of a job breaking the stuff up. I had about 4 hours of swinging the sledge over 6 days to just break up the 3 X 10 end. It was a bitch.

I would recommend a good jack hammer or Bobcat as said.

If you can dig under an edge then it brakes off pretty easy but on solid ground it will laugh at you each swing of the sledge.

Hammer drill is not an option!

I have done lots of this work, and hands down the Bobcat with the hammer would be best, but also quite expensive.

I have used a air powered jackhammer on a 40 x30 slab. Had it broken apart in 4 hours.

I used an electric jackhammer on a 20x20 and spent 6 hours and alot more work.

Next time I do any of this I will be using the air powered hammer. I takes alot of muscle to run one, but it sure beats a sledge hammer (I have done that as well... Never Again). You can probably rent what you need for a weekend for a couple hundred. But it is really worth it.

Get some dynomite, drill holes insert, light fuse.... problem solved.... :wink:

Drill holes... Pour water in holes... wait for winter... when it freezes it will bust the shit up. :lol: