CBR1100XX.org Forum

6mm shim revisited.

redxxrdr

I am a novice to suspension, and want to add the 6mm shim under the rear shock mount. The question, once the shim is added, do you readjust SAG to the old spec, or is the goal to get the rear higher without droping the forks?

Also, 18+K and getting ready for sprokets and chain. Good information on other threads, and I would like to go down one in front and up one in the rear. Any recomendations on who to get the rear from. VFR 800 looked good to me for the front on my 01.

Thanks,

Craig

Guest rockmeupto125

Its more sensitive with the shim in place, but not "nervous."

Why change both sprockets? One down in front is worth 3 in the rear...that's a noticable change.

I've got the 1 down and 1 up sprocket combo and really like it for local riding. Origionally put it on for drag racing - with this gearing you are at the top of third going through the lights, not halfway through. Just got home from NEXXT and my chain is about shot along with my rear sprocket. I was buzzing along at 5K to 5.5K and had to stop for fuel at about every 170 miles. Stock gearing is going back on. I like the grunt, but the long highway miles sucks when you are geared down.

Great responses.

I do most of my riding in South Georgia, flat. Two to three trips to Deals Gap and Suches a year. Sounds like stock gearing to me. Going to measure SAG again and add a 4mm shim for starters. As a limited Squid, I don't want to do too much too fast. Maybe racetec next year.

Thanks,

Craig

If you go down 1 in front = 3 at the rear, and add one at the rear. Do you still need to get a speedohealer to fix the speedo, or does this then resolve the issue???

well sort off resolves the issue. You still need to add 2 on the rear more to get it back to the same....

Or am I now copletely fucking lost.......

I was talking to Ralph (dont know his screen name) at NeXXt and he went to a 18 front. Says the speedo is very accurate with an 18 tooth front sprocket. I may do this since most my riding is highway.

Does anyone make a rubber dampened 18 for the XX?

Guest rockmeupto125

Not that I've found.

And the 18 tooth front sprocket is just dandy....speedo is right on.

I don't feel any great handicap at the dragstrip, either..... :twisted:

Has anyone ever tried a stealh sprocket, it''s got a alloy center with a steel outer.

Just wondering if this will last, or if the alloy will tear with all the torque.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/...inal%20copy.gif

Pricing isn't too bad on these.

Lots of weight reduction..

sbbxx and I put in the shims this weekend. About 5.5 mm total. We didn't get a real chance to try it (rather I didn't, he just switch to a permanent version). I'll find out tomorrow what I think. Man, the ass end is up WAY high it seams. I'll have to adjust he chain now. Damn, 2nd time in 25k kms. Drag. :cry:

Ordered new chain, DID xvm? and Jumbo breaker tool. Man they like that tool. Friend with bike shop likes the OEM sprokets better than what he has put on other bikes. Checking price at stealer Tuesday. Any advice on staking the chain? First time for me or the shop.