CBR1100XX.org Forum

Won't Start in Gear

oldbird

Suddenly my '02 will not start while in gear with the clutch pulled in. It seems to have coincided with a long ride in heavy rain. I did the hair drier thing after the ride and all but can't get it back. The switch connected to the side stand looks fine and is not rusted etc.

Any ideas ???????????????????????

Thanks.

I believe there's a switch on the clutch, too; if so, and if that's FUBAR and the machine doesn't know

the clutch is pulled in while in gear, it won't let the bike start.

It's that clutch switch definately.

And for the bike that starts without the clutch in, it means that either your neutral switch is saying it's in neutral all the time, or that switch is shorted out.

Maybe contact points in the clutch switch.

A few other members has this problem if I remember right. I know I've had to take apart and clean my contact on older bikes I had a few times. Take the switch apart and clean the contacts with fine sand paper, then clean with alcohol and put it back together.

Before you take anything apart make sure you adjust the clutch lever out a bit. Mine did the same thing when I replaced the clutch lever. The clutch lever was adjusted in so far that it wasnt able to depress the clutch kill switch button far enough before hitting the bar.

I have tried starting my bike hundreds of times with the side stand down,

come on admit it, everyone does right?? right?? :oops:

Yep.... do it all the time.

Starts every time too...

until I let out the clutch... DOOAAAAAA! Killed it again, OOOOOH YA. :lol: But I only do that about once a week.

Yep.... do it all the time.

Starts every time too...

until I let out the clutch... DOOAAAAAA! Killed it again, OOOOOH YA. :lol: But I only do that about once a week.

I like to yell "ROOKIE !!!" when someone does that. Makes me laugh every time. :lol::lol:

Why do you think I asked? :lol:

Yep only I park it in neutral. :wink:

During the course I instruct, I see people do this all the time. I stand there, watch, let them try and try to start it. I say nothing for quite awhile.......finally they look at me in desperation, what the hell? I then tell them.....again, kickstand is down. It seems if I tell them right away, they don't remember, but if I let them get totally frustrated, they seem to remember!!??

Last course, I knew we had a problem when during the first few hours of course, this lady forgot to put her kickstand down and the bike fell right on top of her as she tried to get off. :roll:

Do you see why the classes are good for some people???? :D