CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch install

DrewXX

A little background first. I had a new '98 XX a few years back and was forced to sell it for various reasons. This past weekend I picked up a used '99 XX. It had not been cared for in the manner I would like, but the price was right. First thing I did was run to the local Honda shop and pickup some tune up items. Air filter, plugs, switch back to the factory fairing screws where they had been switched out, and picked up some synthetic oil and a filter. Changed the oil and took the bike for a spin. Clutch was toast. After talking to a bike mechanic friend of mine, he informed me that switching to synthetic oil on a clutch that is WELL worn will make the worn clutch present itself.

So last night I picked up a new clutch from Honda. This was the first time I have changed a motorcycle clutch. Not a hard job at all. Let all the new clutch disks soak in oil while I was taking everything apart. Pulled out all the old clutch disk and metal disk. Sanded the glaze off the metal disks and cleaned them up. Reinstalled everything. I have not taken it for a test ride yet (it was late, and it's raining kind of hard), but started it up and clicked it into first. Just from that I can fell a much more satisfying clunk when putting the bike in gear.

Anyway just want to let anyone that may be interested know that the clutch job is not that hard. Make sure you get a new gasket. Mine tore in several paces and was well stuck to the case. :cool:

Again I expect this bike has been USED. The metal plates were glazed badly. Most of the fiber plates were not 100% gone, but one of them was broken in three places! I would bet this bike has been down the 1/4 mile a few times... and with someone that was afraid to launch. I will see if I can snap a few pictures of the disk before I trash them. May be a day or two before I can post them though.

Holy shit, that is one abused bike!! I've actually never heard of anybody replacing a clutch before. Anyone else? I've done a few runs at the track, but at 50k I see no signs of clutch wear.

Can you get some photos of the old pieces, or did you toss them already? If you can shoot a few and send them to carlos@cbr1100xx.org, I can put them in the FAQ.

I replaced mine at about 5,000, was having a lot of selection problems, clutch not engaging then it would, bleeding did no good. Bought EBC plates and uprated springs before I checked the old one so I wouldnt have to strip it again if anything was wrong. All appeared OK, plates werent overworn, basket not notched, springs within limit, only thing I found wrong was a caked up pushrod. Fitted the new clutch and springs anyway cleaned the rod and had no problems since couldnt really say what the fault was. The clutch cover gasket costs £13- about $20 FFS over here, needless to say it got siliconed instead.

I will try and get some pictures tonight, but might not get them posted until tomorrow night. The bike is a theft recovery. Only damage in the theft was a cracked right side fairing, which has been replaced. Like I said, the price was right. I am willing to give the bike the love it needs.

Drew

Should have bought it from Barnett. Cheaper and better. Were the metal plates just glazed or were they blue in color??? If they were, you should have replaced them too. They are cheap and if they are not flat, your gonna get some chatter and your fiber plates will wear way quicker. Clutch slippage creates heat and thus warps the metal plates. I replaced the clutch on my VFR @ 25000 mi. It was slipping only a little bit and the plates were warped. You did replace the side cover gasket too... right???

Plates were not blued, just glazed. I did get a new gasket. I have never tried to reuse a gasket, and there would have been no way to reuse this one.

I got to take the bike for a test spin last night. Clutch holds well, and I can't hear any chatter... at least not over the CCT.