CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mounting location for external antennae

severdog

I've always found it useful to have communications on my bike. I currently run APRS tracking (www.geocities.com/craig_severson/ham/aprs.html) as well as CB capabilities on my ST.

I would like to add these capabilities to the Bird, albeit in a more refined manner than hanging 5/8 wave verticals off the tail like the ST.

* Has anyone done any VHF antenna mounting on the front cowl? Maybe a 1/4 wave vertical off of the mirror bracket?

* Any low-profile CB antenna installations on the tail cowl area? I can live with limited performance as I do 99% listening here anyway. Rubber ducks are not an option here, performance is nil.

any and all suggestions appreciated.

How about an L bracket under one of the rear turn signals? It would be out of the way and hardly visible when the mast is removed. Would you be using a bottom loaded unit, whip, center loaded....?

Current CB antenna is 48" top loaded fiberglas whip courtesy of rat shack. I may go with a base loaded model with a whip so it provides a lower profile, even though they're not as efficient as top loaded. I'll check out your suggestion for the turn signal L-bracket.

I've always thought that BMW's method of hanging a vertical off the nose was kinda cool on their R1150RT's. Don't like the idea of a CB whip banging me in the helmet at 100 mph, though.