CBR1100XX.org Forum

bad clutch?

bar10dah

Well, since I'm on the subject of bike repairs...

I think I may need a replacement/better clutch. Mine feels strange. When I rev it up to about 6K and let out the clutch until I start to feel it pull, I stop. If I let it out any further, the clutch has a tendency to be grabby, and roughly throw my bike forward. It's not a gradual pressure like I've felt on other bikes. Not linear. Kind of like it grabs at random. Once again, another thing that I'm having a hard time describing. Perhaps, I need to get someone else with experience with this kinda thing to get a feel for it. Maybe someone that's been riding since he was old enough to hold a torque wrench. Someone that lives about 140 miles from me. Quite possibly, someone that I probably owe several rounds at the next beer night to already. I don't want to name names, but I'll give you all a hint. His name might start with a "C." And his name might end in an "arlos." :grin:

Damn, this bike must have been abused before I bought it! Don't worry, slowly and part by part, I'm rescuing her! Then, it's MY turn to abuse her!!

Why are you trying to let the clutch out at 6k? :shock:

If you're trying to launch the bike (drag race style), then you will notice the clutch feels grabby, and won't engage smoothly. It's nothing out of the ordinary, but a design problem. Honda gave us a clutch that's virtually bullet proof, but too much clutch for drag use.

Dean had posted a remedy for this a while back, and it has to do with installing your clutch pack which results in less friction area, allowing a moderate amount of slip during drag race launches.

The way the clutch is grabbing is normal for the Blackbird?? That's just not right...

Dean, can you post that info again? Or, direct me to the previous post on the subject?

It's not really that big a deal, as I don't go to the drag strip that often. But, with a better clutch, I'd be able to better compete against my buddy with his R1! :grin:

Good. Now I have oatmeal dripping out my noise. Fucker.

Yeah, be happy to take a look/ride. I can't commit to a time right now, since my whole day got fucked with a network down emergency at 8am...and I'm still on the phone... Which explains eating oatmeal at 4pm. It's the only thing left in the house, and I thought I'd go shopping this morning.

What are you doing this weekend?

Haha! Sorry. I'm just glad you're eating oatmeal, and not those atomic wings. Can't imagine the pain if I were to get THAT up into my nose!

I'm househunting tomorrow during the day, and helping a friend move a couch (I gotta get rid of the pickup truck) after/around dinnertime.

Sunday, I'm riding. Perhaps, I can ride down to Tucson to check out Gates Pass via your place?

That should work. I'm trying to recover from losing my entire day's plan, and now I'm too mental to work on anything else. This router shit takes too much concentration. Cisco's top priority support failed on the diagnosis and I got it, so at least it's a brownie point with the customer, and it was mostly billable. Cha-ching.

Anyway, let's talk about it tomorrow evening and figure out a plan.