CBR1100XX.org Forum

Amsoil...who's using it?

x-lax

I just filled the XX up with it, so I'm hoping I done good. Always been one for trying new things. I've used Castrol GPS since I bought the bird last year, so I figured it was time to try something new.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I've been running the 0W40, which replaced the Syntec 5W50 I just finished using for the first and last time.

My shifts are much smoother, and no problems whatsoever, including running it in the bike for over 6K on the Reno trip.

Which reminds me, I need to change my oil :oops:

I am/have beein using Amsoil products for a LONG time. Great products. You did a good thing by making the decision to give it a try. For the cost of a call to the tech people at Amsoil they will tell you why they feel there lubricants are the best choice----I did, made sense to me---especially after seeing tests from independant labs. So, I keep using it, and their greases, and the fuel additive, and the Way lube in my machine tools (CNC lathes & mills), their air tool oil, gear lubes, compressor oil and automatic transmission fluid.

Like I said--great products. Used them for years---never have had a lubrication related problem. Happy trails kel

I do! I do!

I have a question though. I have 1100 miles on my oil that's 5 months old. I'm leaving for a 4500-5000 miles trip next week in CA and I suspenct my bike be run very hard all day long in lots of heat. I have 4 fresh quarts waiting to change out. I'd feel stupid changing already but nothing's too good for my baby. What should I do? I was thinking of saving what's in the bike right now and putting it back in when I get back.

so... you DO know that the factory service interval for this bike is 8000 miles right? That' using dino oil too, Synth is supposed to go twice as long with no problems... Coupling that with the fact that it's cold starts that kill oil, not miles, I'd keep it in, but that's just me...

Mike

so... you DO know that the factory service interval for this bike is 8000 miles right? That' using dino oil too, Synth is supposed to go twice as long with no problems... Coupling that with the fact that it's cold starts that kill oil, not miles, I'd keep it in, but that's just me...

Mike

You are right ofcourse, but Honda sells new motors and they dont care about my motorcycle.

So I change oil between 3000-4000 miles because its cheap

Also I use SYN because my last bike @ 22,000 miles had 150lbs compression on all cylinders even.

Thats the same compression that it had at 5,000 miles also Mike, It gives me a woody!!

Chaser

Point taken Chaser, but I have not known Honda to be anything but cautious with things like oil change intervals and stuff like that... Especially with synthetic... I typically change my filter at 5000 miles and my oil at 10,000 miles if I'm running synthetic...

Bottom line, do what you want, the worst thing it'll do if you change it is waste $30, but if if makes you feel better to do so, do it. I do like to put at least a couple hundred miles and a few heat cycles on a vehicle after I do anything do it before I leave on a trip... My grandpa always used to do full maintenence before he left town on a trip and quite a few times had something go wrong on the road because he had done everything a couple days before he left... I'd rather personally use oil with 1100 miles on it and still be under the factory reccomended service interval when I get back, than take the chance of something unforseen happening on my trip from doing the service right before I leave...

BTW, DO NOT TOUCH your bike when you are away from home unless you absolutely NEED to do so!! I got lucky mine was only fucked up axle threads... I wouldn't chance doing an oil change when I'm away from home unless ABSOLUTELY nessicary!

Also, this is different for people like Northman (Chris) who are running a lighter weight oil than factory fill... I'd change it at a shorter interval too if I was doing that... What I said above assumes you are running 10W-40 or something heavier...

Mike

Honda has always had strange maint. intervals.

On my V65 Sabre they wanted the plugs changed at 4k miles and the oil at 8k. It wasn't a misprint. I switched those intervals BTW.

Honda WANTS you to buy another Honda after a "normal" usage of your current bike. Most people are happy with 50K miles out of a bike.

I'm going for over 100K miles so I change my syn. oil at 5k miles.

I don't even keep dino oil in my car for 8k miles.

Chris you're running 0-40 in your bike?

What's the reasoning?

Less resistance 8)

Like I said, 6K miles, and no issues. Just bought some more today, too.

According to my engine builder, the factory teams race on 0W20, and it's worth an extra 6hp. Good for two weekends of racing before the engine sounds a bit louder, which is when they change it for fresh.

They do regular tear-downs during the year, but only to freshen up the valves & rings. No bearing problems, whatsoever.

Now that I've used it, I won't go back. 15W50 oil is just too damn thick, IMO.

Chris you're running 0-40 in your bike?

What's the reasoning?

I'm guessing better cold start flow and slicker shifting.

I tried the amsoil at the change before last and wasn't impressed with my shifting. It has 5-40M1 in it (Pete's suggestion) The thing just snicks so quickly through the gears now.