CBR1100XX.org Forum

Now What? Aftermarket Seat Help

GriffXX

I’ve been OK with the stock seat. Certainly not great, but I think it is one of the better stockers out there. Now my girlfriend wants to ride with me – often (I know, that’s another problem for another time). Obviously the stock seat sucks for the passenger who constantly slides down off of her perch. I was about to buy a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady, but with the post that CBR-RR-XX-CESS posted on Corbin, I have trouble supporting a company that knowingly defrauds its investors.

Any other ideas / suggestions. I’ve been to Sargent Cycle. I don’t see anything ‘canned’ for the ‘Bird. I can always send off the seat to them for some custom work, but I’d only do that over Winter. Anybody have any idea as to their turn around time?

Anybody use anybody else for custom seat work (and been pleased)?

As always, thanks for the help.

I would check locally with guys who do custom upholstery as well as motorcycle seats. The one that just did mine here in Seattle has a great reputation and was easy to work with. I doubt it's worth a cross-country trip, but if there is someone in your area that does the same thing, it is definately the way to go. Forget about Corbin, as they aren't custom either, just better than stock. Sure it's not cheap to go with a truly custom seat, but you get what you pay for. Plus you can have your passenger's section done just right for her, something you couldn't do otherwise.

Just some ideas!

Alan

I kinda had the same problem Griff, I didn't wanna shell out the big bucks to Corbin either. While I was visiting my sister in WI. She took me to a shop in Milwaukee called Cycle Empire, mostly harley type of gear and parts but inside the complex there is small seat customizer called Back in the Saddle, his name is Tom he had some examples of putting gel into stock seat arrangements, I was more atracted to the gel seat coverings he was producing to lay over the stock originals. I asked if he could make me a gel for me and not cover the passenger seat. He says he can if he has the seat to use as a guide. Well my bird is back in Cali so i figure I'm screwed then he takes me to the other side of the building and asks me if any of the bikes on the showroom floor look kinda like mine"they sell a few used bike out of the place". To my amazement they have a 97 bird sitting in this place! So he takes some paper and draws out a pattern for my gel, took him a couple of hours to make it but it feels great the gel is inside a sheepskin pocket "mines black sheepskin but he has other colors if you like". The material that contacts the seat is nonslip like tool box liner, got back this weekend and took the gel out for a ride w/wife on the back, I also had trouble with the passenger "sliding forward into me at stops and crushing the family jewels into the tank" but with the gel on it raises the rider seat height to about even w/the passenger so it limits the amount of pressure on the rider, also with the seat a little higher the ergos are a little more comfortable to me at least and I'm 6'1". If he had my seat in person he could have attached snaps to it to help secure it to my seat but I have used it all week long and have no slipping issues. when it is on the bike it looks like it is attached to the bike he did a very good job making it look like it belongs.If you or anyone is interested I have his name and number and now that he did my seat gel he has a pattern for it or if you want the whole seat done he can do just about anything. My gel cost 125$ sorry i dont have a camera or a way to post pics if someone here in So Cal "San Diego " wants to check it out and post pics Lemme know.

Check in to Mayer (Meyer?).  I've heard and seen nothing but good things.  When my time comes it will probably be money in their pocket.

If you're looking for that type of seat (long distance comfort), why not just purchase a Russell to begin with, and save yourself the trouble and expense of buying a Mayer seat first only to end up sending it off to Russell to be built properly? BTW... I did just that with a BMW R1100GS and I wouldn't want to pay twice again just to get what I should have bought in the first place.

Bottom line is that a standard vinyl Russell day-long saddle costs $335 plus shipping. www.day-long.com

In all reality, if you're fairly light, the Mayer seat might suit you. If you're much more than 200 lbs, you'll want the Russell with that leaf spring suspension.

For those of you who don't know the background of these seats... they were designed by Bill Mayer (Rick's father) who sold the company and the patented leafspring suspension system to Russell. After a number of years, Bill Mayer got back into the seat making business but could not build seats using his original suspension system because he had sold the patent. His belief was that he could compensate for that spring with modern foam and he was somewhat correct except in the case of heavier riders.

I've had Russell seats on all my bikes (except a Ducati) and have NEVER had a single moment of discomfort even while doing a 1500+ mile day or two Iron Butt Rallies. Never needed gel or sheepskin either.

20042204247830774525711.jpg

I've been wanting to look into this also. My ass burns after a long day in the saddle.

It's going to take a long time for me to find it but there was an article in a bike mag. about a company that uses closed foam instead of the stock open foam to build your seat. It doesn't flatten out.

Anybody else heard this?

In all reality, if you're fairly light, the Mayer seat might suit you. If you're more than 200 lbs, you'll want the Russell with that leaf spring which is built into the seat.  

I am under 200 lbs and am fairlly happy with the stock seat. I don't start feeling any major discomfort until after about 10-12 hours in the saddle. I've been looking around at aftermarket seat companies, and have narrowed my choice down to either Mayer or Sargent. It looks like the Mayer would be more comfortable, but the Sargent seat is shaped more like most sport bike type seats. I would like to keep my stock seat, so I am now looking around for someone who has a stock seat they would like to get rid of. If it matters, I have a 97 'bird.

Thanks all. I'll try Russell, and give Sargeant a call regarding a custom seat. I appreciate the word on Mayer, but as I have super-sized a few value meals (5'10: 210) and the pillion is 5'10; 125, it sounds like the Mayer might not be the one, but I'll look.

Anybody have web sites or Tel#'s handy? Or I'll Google it.

I'll also check with the local upholstery shops. That's also a great idea.

Everyone have a good weekend and ride safe. I'm seeing a rash of bike accidents reported on the boards these past few weeks.

Check these guys out:

http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/

the B.I.R.D. site likes 'em, and if i had to do it again, i wouldn't get a corbin I'd get the bladerunner with gel inserts up front (not lowered):

bladerunner.jpg

http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/latest/bl...bladerunner.jpg

More expensive, for sure, here's how I've been quoted:

Bladerunner £215 { $347 }

one Gelastic Pad £35 { $56 }

two Gelastic Pads £60 { $95 }

Shipping, £48 { $76 }

And they take paypal as well. :grin:

Hi Guys,

On my way back to Vancouver from San Francisco, I stopped at Rich Mayer's [after phoning him the day before]. He made a VERY comfortable seat for me after measuring my ass and riding position and getting info re: my pillion rider]. The 1200km home were much more comfortable than the stock seat.

I definitly recommend getting your seat done by Rick. His son even made me lunch.

Check his WEB page:

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/...mayercycle.html

TimXX

I don't know the right answer, but I know the wrong one.  I own a Corbin and would not buy one again.

I feel the same way. Like I've said before, Corbin has catered to styling

and left the comfort factor out of thier latest design.

The Corbin I had on my ZX-10 was much better.

My .02 cents

Later, Cal

Hi Cal,

Here is a photo of my bike with Rick Mayer's seat on it.

20036305818470684821925.jpg

This seat really did feel more comfortable than the stock seat. I got it in basket weave vinyl because I live in rainy BC. Not sure yet how Barbara will like the pillion part.

BTW: I had a wonderful time on the Cody trip and enjoyed pushing up my cornering and straight line speed in order to keep up with at least some of you guys.

TimXX

Tim, Thanks for the pics. Looks comfy. If I ever buy another seat.

I'll go the Meyer route. Had fun ridin with ya. Come join us

on the Crater/Rainer rides.

Cal