CBR1100XX.org Forum

FUEL MILEAGE AND PC III QUESTION

SPEEDEMON

First off im getting only 31 mpg and thats driving h/way mostly which seems low. Im hoping this is related to my pcIII. Has anyone here had fuel consumption issues with the PCIII?

can the XX run ok wiht slip ons and no PCIII ?

any input would be helpful.

Has anyone here had fuel consumption issues with the PCIII?

That all depends on the map. It's certainly a possibility.

Yes, it'll run fine.

Has anyone here had fuel consumption issues with the PCIII?

That all depends on the map. It's certainly a possibility.

Yes, it'll run fine.

Don't most XX's run even more lean with slipons with no PC?

It parts of the range, yes, it may lean out marginally with slip-ons. It'll still be rich down low, though, all the FI models are. Take a look at the black all over the inside of the average XX's exhaust and you'll see what I mean- for some reason slip-ons seem to make this worse.

Bottom line is a PCIII isn't required. You'll see better results with a properly tuned PCIII, but you won't hurt anything running without it.

tweak the map for mpg and load your mpg map when you want better mpg (like on your commute vs in the twisties).

or build a hybrid map that gives you peak performance for acceleration from stop and roll on, but lean, great mpg, at cruising steady rpm and throttle position.

i did it, it must be easy :)

ps btw i've not gone more than 25 points leaner than the base map done on the dyno by the dealer, but i've gotten another 7-8 mpg out of her tweaking it.

ps btw i've not gone more than 25 points leaner than the base map done on the dyno by the dealer, but i've gotten another 7-8 mpg out of her tweaking it.

I'd be interested in seeing your map. What equipment do you have on the 'bird? Slip ons, K&N, ?

i am running d&d slip-on's, & a PCIII, with a generic map...i have no complaints at all about fuel mileage...as a matter of fact i get BETTER mileage now...but i am also running an airblade screen which may help out seeing as though it cuts down resistance a little (makes sense in my mind anyway). I also bought an air compressor so that I can check and fill my tires before EVERY ride now. every little thing helps when it comes to improving gas mileage IMO...

pc3 (non usb), 2002 XX, 4-2-1 full large oval TBR can, k&n air filter.

The first 2 pics are the custom map done by a dealer (Orange County Triumph in Santa Ana, CA) with bike on a dyno.

The 2nd 2 pics are my modified maps. Any suggestions are further tweaks are welcome but this map has seemed to make a difference for me while not being twitchy when coming off the throttle.

I decided to try this when i was commuting 79 miles one way to work and was having to get gas more than 1 time per day (i'm running a 16T front sprocket btw) and need that extra 10-15 miles per tank to get all the way home :D

With regard to get better gas mileage with a pc, if you have a map loaded that is supposed to modify the ecu for more power, you'll note how rich some of the rpm ranges are for example in the low end throttle and low end rpm.

The gov't asks (requires?) that the manufacturers lean the crap out of the ecu map for emissions and mpg therefore the bike wants it richer to put out it's best power (i.e. worse gas mileage) - the custom power map gives it back to the bike.

enjoy!

normal_commutemap1.jpg

normal_commutemap2.jpg

normal_octrimap1.jpg

normal_octrimap2.jpg

ps is everybody getting red x's?

ps is everybody getting red x's?

Not red X's, but none of the images are showing; the comment is "Sorry, you are trying to access an

image outside of ImageStation.com", whatever that means.... :(

After fitting a dna filter and dyno tuning the bike, I've managed with 2x WMP slipons an increase from 122 HP to 150 HP and also an increase from 15 KM per liter to 19 KM per liter.

Please note that this is on an average of 150 KM/h between 4000 and 5000 rpm.

What the guys did with the dyno was to move my powerband higher, and also made it longer. Thus if I need it, it kicks harder for longer.

I know that the 150 KM/h is a bit slow for most, but at this speed I'm getting 380 to 400 KM on 22 Liters.

That's not bad for a 2002 FI bird.

I can however say that the feul gauge is incorrect. It shows me that I am on empty after 15 liters.

The 2002 model has a digital display, now I'm not too worried about this, maybe you're having the same stuborn gauge?

I've also noticed that depending on how you drive the bike, hard or normal that the gauge wil react in the same manner. When driving normal, the gauge drops a lot faster than when I'm driving it harder.

Sitting at 180 to 200 Km/h I'm still getting round 15 Km per liter.

Anything above this then drains the pipes a bit quicker.

I do not have a powercommander.

The bikes run 40 000 km and is in use daily.

These figures are from a mixture of city driving and freeway driving. equal time was spent on both.

Check the main jet's size, it's not always the case that bigger jets give better performance. It might also be blocked or stuffed.

The other thing to check is the feulfilter. These are pretty expensive in SA R790.00 excluding tax. You can also check the float levels and bowls.

I have also noticed that when the plugs are on the way out, the bike does run heavier on juice, maybe even check that?

28hp from a set of slip-ons and no Power Commander?

What did they use to modify the map? I'm aware there's other products besides Dynojet's for ajusting mapping on FI bikes, I'd be real interested to hear what you're using.

What I understood from them was that they actually rewrite the ECU?

well the computer at the back of the bird, and also fiddles a lot with the physical FI unit.

I will try to get more info from them, they are a bit secretive about the whole story??

Suppose it's their trademark

Are South African bikes restricted from the factory?

That would be about the only thing that would explain those sorts of gains with such minimal modification, if they have a method of de-restricting the bike, even then 150hp is doing really well.

As far as I know, there is no way to "rewrite" the ECU, beyond a PC or similar external device that modifies the inputs to the ECU to manipulate the fuel ratios.

BTW- anyone who is "secretive" about modifications they're making to your bike is probably not worth paying. There's no huge secrets to tuning a bike (though it is an art form, I'll give you that). It's not like they happened upon an extra 15hp the rest of the world couldn't find, especially without modifying the fuel mixture at all.

I'd ask for charts, or better yet, to witness the thing on the dyno. Something smells

pics fixed above.

note that when you throttle off you fall back thru the chart diagonally and upward throttle lowering and rpms falling.

ps leaner runs hotter fyi

8)

pics fixed above.

Thanks!

Question: are there supposed to be two charts or are there actually four charts that are overlapping?

cheap and fast screen shots created for charts of two different maps.

make less sense now? :shock:

ps

After fitting a dna filter and dyno tuning the bike, I've managed with 2x WMP slipons an increase from 122 HP to 150 HP and also an increase from 15 KM per liter to 19 KM per liter.

- so you got more power AND better gas mileage?

cheap and fast screen shots created for charts of two different maps.

make less sense now?   :shock:

No, they make sense now, with the clarification. Thanks!