CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brand new idea for the running hot problem? (need tech info)

Furbird

been there, done that.

PITA and doesn't alleviate any engine heat.

standing at a light, it helps a tiny tiny bit with heat on the legs.

and mostly for the passenger.

all in all, imho, a big PITA not worth it.

Been there, done that, and it DOES alleviate engine heat as it keeps the rad cool. The glowing red pipes are covered and not transfering heat to the rad.

The best way to do the headers would be Jet Hot coatings or something of that nature, but the cost is preventative. And while I'd like to wrap my headers, I can't take a chance of the wrap getting moisture in it and killing my pipes. Considering all the rain and humidity we have down here, that is very likely to happen. So unless somebody wants to finance my scientific exploration into how to keep our bikes cooler by paying for Jet Hot on my headers, then my little cheapo $20 extra fan idea will have to suffice :lol:

The best way to do the headers would be Jet Hot coatings or something of that nature, but the cost is preventative.  And while I'd like to wrap my headers, I can't take a chance of the wrap getting moisture in it and killing my pipes.  Considering all the rain and humidity we have down here, that is very likely to happen.  So unless somebody wants to finance my scientific exploration into how to keep our bikes cooler by paying for Jet Hot on my headers, then my little cheapo $20 extra fan idea will have to suffice  :lol:

What year ZX12 fan did it come off of?

If anyone runs across a used BIRD fan assy on ebay or whatever, let me know.

Looking for a deal on a used one or even a broke one since I need it for sizing only.

Must be cheap cause I am cheap !!!!

Don't know what you consider cheap, but:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=4561205171

wow I had same setup as that, think mine was $25.00..Glad I kept one extra

fan/rad and all

• 1 year later...

If anyone runs across a used BIRD fan assy on ebay or whatever, let me know.

Looking for a deal on a used one or even a broke one since I need it for sizing only.

Must be cheap cause I am cheap !!!!

I know this thread is old (took me 30 mins to refind it), but I came across this while playing around. Maybe you could still use this John.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CBR11...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck.

Just to put this thread to rest .......

Joe sent me a fan to work with and see if I could improve the air flow by adapting a Muzzy high veloscity fan blade. Muzzy makes them for many bikes as a direct replacement for a stock fan blade ti increase air flow. Muzzy does not make one for the Bird and I was going to try to see if there was one that would adapt up and increase the air flow.

I should have done my homework first, but didn't, so when Joe's fan came in and I looked at it I was surprised at the design and the large size. It is nothing like the Muzzy blades available and is larger than anything Muzzy makes. So I showed it to a good friend of mine and owner of Blais Cycle and EX Team Kawasaki WSB Mechanic, only to be told that I had no options on improving the air flow on the OEM fan. :-(

I just sent Joe's fan back to him today and disappointed that it did not not make any headway on dropping the temp alittle in stop and go So Florida city traffic.

Already tried Engine Ice, Water Wetter, various anti-freeze/boil and even direct wired the fan to run all the time the engine is running and have now reverted back to what the Honda people designed in the first place.

Stock OEM fan with a stock setting to turn on the fan approx 117 degrees and turn off at 104 degrees. OEM Anti-freeze / distilled water mix as per Honda dealership. I am through dealing with the heat from this motor and going to enjoy riding instead !

Thank you Joe for the use of your fan. You Rock ! ........ even beyond 125 !

John01XX

Just to put this thread to rest .......

Joe sent me a fan to work with and see if I could improve the air flow by adapting a Muzzy high veloscity fan blade. Muzzy makes them for many bikes as a direct replacement for a stock fan blade ti increase air flow. Muzzy does not make one for the Bird and I was going to try to see if there was one that would adapt up and increase the air flow.

I should have done my homework first, but didn't, so when Joe's fan came in and I looked at it I was surprised at the design and the large size. It is nothing like the Muzzy blades available and is larger than anything Muzzy makes. So I showed it to a good friend of mine and owner of Blais Cycle and EX Team Kawasaki WSB Mechanic, only to be told that I had no options on improving the air flow on the OEM fan. :-(

I just sent Joe's fan back to him today and disappointed that it did not not make any headway on dropping the temp alittle in stop and go So Florida city traffic.

Already tried Engine Ice, Water Wetter, various anti-freeze/boil and even direct wired the fan to run all the time the engine is running and have now reverted back to what the Honda people designed in the first place.

Stock OEM fan with a stock setting to turn on the fan approx 117 degrees and turn off at 104 degrees. OEM Anti-freeze / distilled water mix as per Honda dealership. I am through dealing with the heat from this motor and going to enjoy riding instead !

Thank you Joe for the use of your fan. You Rock ! ........ even beyond 125 !

John01XX

Performance coatings in WA will Ceramic coat headers for about $130 www.performancecoatings.com + shipping. I have had all by bike's headers ceramic coated by them and they do a very good job, colors too, ck out there web site. Rob

the bird sensor is a ground at temp setting.

another with lower setting that fits would work.

i have a switch which is conected to ground and the wire that goes to the sensor. start up and turn on the switch ,,,fan runs till i turn off the key. stays runnning when i turn off the motor with the on off switch on the bars right side.

answer to your question?

i am going to do the same thing,,,put two fans on let me know how it works

What was the outside temp when the XX boiled over? City or highway driving?

• 4 years later...
been there, done that.

PITA and doesn't alleviate any engine heat.

standing at a light, it helps a tiny tiny bit with heat on the legs.

and mostly for the passenger.

all in all, imho, a big PITA not worth it.

Worked great for me in Sunny hot hot AZ