CBR1100XX.org Forum

Blackbird Comfort

Cossi

I find the XX pretty comfy for me. But not incredibly, and I know it should be. I took a trip this weekend, and it totalled somewheres around 750 miles. 300 there 300 back and 150 while there. The 300 there and back, my hips started really hurting me. and on the way back I got a terribly painful ache in my right leg. I am not sure if I need to lower the pegs or what. Next is my lower back gets really tired from holding myself up/fighting the wind, not sure which. Which then leads to my neck, shoulders, palms getting sore. I am looking into picking up a airblade DB. I may not have my posture correct or something. I have a Rick Mayer Saddle that is not built specifically for me, BUT is 100 million times more comfy than the corbin I have.

As far as mods, I have a ZG DB, and heli bars, and the seat.

I am planning on TRYING an SS1K in the fall with a friend, but I have to get to where I am completely comfy on the XX.

You need a throttle lock to give your hands a break which also allows you to sit up on straightaways.

Stand on the pegs occasionaly to allow blood flow to the legs and rear.

I have, and use a throttle lock, and a throttle rocker, and I occasionally do stand up, sit up, move around, and will let my legs dangle behind me.

As comfortable, butt wise, as the Mayer seat may be, are you sure it's not pinching or restricting blood flow somewhere on that side? That might cause the pains down the leg. Only thing I can suggest is to try doing some extended range trips on the Corbin and see if the feeling is the same or different. With it being legs, I'd think the seat would have to be partially responsible.

As comfortable, butt wise, as the Mayer seat may be, are you sure it's not pinching or restricting blood flow somewhere on that side?  That might cause the pains down the leg.  Only thing I can suggest is to try doing some extended range trips on the Corbin and see if the feeling is the same or different.  With it being legs, I'd think the seat would have to be partially responsible.

That is kinda what I am thinking here before to long, I will send it back to Rick and have hime make it fit me.

http://www.beadrider.com

That will help your sore ass.

Stretch, move around, etc once in a while, BEFORE you get tired.

The higher windscreen will actually increase the weight on your arms/wrists, because you won't have the wind holding you up. I'm 5'6" (yea, yea) and with the Givi windscreen I've got, I dont' get much in the way of lift from the wind, but I've got the VFR Bars, which offsets it quite a bit.

I usually spend the better part of my distance riding in a tuck, though. I've gotten to the point where my back can support my weight, and I'm quite comfortable droning on the interstate like that. I just rest my elbows on my knees. Once in while, I'll stretch each leg, or stand up on the pegs. I'll also hang them behind me, put them on the passenger pegs, or sit sideways for a while in the seat just to move around.

You should also know that when doing distance riding, for the most part, after the first 4 hours, you're as tired as you're going to be. The key is to avoid spending TOO much time off of the bike, and don't over eat at stops. Eat a snickers bar or some peanuts, drink some water, gas, piss and go. 10 to 15 minute stops. Any more than that, and you start to get tired and really don't want to get back on the bike.

http://www.beadrider.com

That will help your sore ass.

Stretch, move around, etc once in a while, BEFORE you get tired.

The higher windscreen will actually increase the weight on your arms/wrists, because you won't have the wind holding you up.    I'm 5'6" (yea, yea) and with the Givi windscreen I've got, I dont' get much in the way of lift from the wind, but I've got the VFR Bars, which offsets it quite a bit.    

I usually spend the better part of my distance riding in a tuck, though.  I've gotten to the point where my back can support my weight, and I'm quite comfortable droning on the interstate like that.  I just rest my elbows on my knees.   Once in while, I'll stretch each leg, or stand up on the pegs.   I'll also hang them behind me, put them on the passenger pegs, or sit sideways for a while in the seat just to move around.

You should also know that when doing distance riding, for the most part, after the first 4 hours, you're as tired as you're going to be.  The key is to avoid spending TOO much time off of the bike, and don't over eat at stops.  Eat a snickers bar or some peanuts, drink some water, gas, piss and go.  10 to 15 minute stops.   Any more than that, and you start to get tired and really don't want to get back on the bike.

Thanks Rich, you were one person I was really wanting to hear from on this. As far as the sore ass, it isn't my ass so much as it is my hips. So I think I am gonna try to make it to the Local HD dealer, and pick up some buell pegs.

I've noticed that I'm much better for distance in the saddle since I've been exercising more regularly. Especially if I stretch a little before setting out on the bike. I also purposefully stretch during fuel stops, not just getting off the bike and walking.

I'm with JRED on the being in shape thing and stretching hamstrings, calfs,

back at fuel stops.

I do long rides, love it not much more than 400 miles a day, takes the fun out and after 4-5 days ass is pretty sore.

I'm 58, 6ft 220 and broke back 25 years ago so I expect a little pain.

fook it, its fun!

Go see Dr. Buell

Chaser

+ 1 on the streching. I do pretty much what Hobi was saying, and I can put in 12 hour days on the bike if I need to. Stay hydrated, stretch before mounting and during stops, change positions from time to time or stand up on the pegs while riding to stretch out, short breaks mostly to gas and piss, and I'm good. Only comfort items I put on were the Corbin, a new windshield, new grips, and a Throttle Meister. Good to go.

I have four different screens and find the stock to be most comfortable. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs most of the time and grip the bars with my fore finger and thumb. I still have problems with my shoulders and hips after 5 hours on the bike. Its better than it used to be but I've accepted the fact that the XX just doesn't fit me that well and these are the things that I have to deal with.

I used a Mayer saddle once, and found it to be very uncomfortable in the fact it tilted my torso forward, causing an arch in my back.

I've done many 20+ hour days on my Corbin, with no back pain whatsoever. The higher pegs cause a little soreness in my legs, so I need to move around a bit, or hang my legs behind me every once in a while.

Go with a lower screen, as well. It takes the weight off your arms, and you need all the help you can get when you're doing 1K+ in a day.

Guest Jetpilot5

I get the hip pain once in a while and in my case, I really think it has to do with how wide the bike is. Even hugging the tank, you're legs are splayed out pretty far. I know I liked the narrowness of my old VFR a lot in retrospect. Exercise and stretching are good advice and if you know you're going to be on the bike all day, take a couple of Advil before you start and then maybe a couple more later in the day. It'll make a big difference.

The stock seat drives me bananas, but the Corbin (not a custom either!) rocks the house.

The Buell pegs really helped me with my knee pain. Hip pain, well, I figure that's more a function of my hip replacement than anything else. :)

Pole position pegs mount right up and give you 360 degrees of 1 inch higher, lower what ever. I like my at 4 o'clock because it helps you support your upper body by having your feet closer to your hands without decreasing your hip angle. The hardest past is getting closing the distance to the shifter which I had to mess with a little bit.

Are there any particular stretched or body parts you guys work on? I thought it wasn't good to stretch a cold muscle?

I have a corbin saddle, heli bars, throttle lock, foam cushy grips, stock screen and bars.

I'll do 10 hr days but I won't drain the tank before I stop. I will stop once at about half a tank for a 5 or 10 minute break. This is critical for me.

If I don't stop about this often, and do a little light stretching of my legs and fore arms, get the blood going, then the aches start to set in and remain until I get off the bike for the night....or pop a few advil which ever comes first.

I move around a lot too. I sit up, arms folded. Stand up. Drag my feet. Sit sort of sideways with my ass off to either side. Ride with one hand on the rear grab bar to stretch each arm.

Ride with one hand on the rear grab bar to stretch each arm.

:shock:

LOL! I do that one too. Got that from watching Tim (redbird) on the road. It helps to stretch out the shoulders, back, and arms. Great tool.