CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon 45/46 tire impressions

BDAZ XX

Well after running the Avon 45/46 combo on the XX for around 6000+or- miles, I have to say I am less than enthusiastic about them and will stick to my michlins on the XX from now on.

The tires are not confidence inspiring at the speeds I run. Flogging a 500lbs+ bike around, you need a tire that will give you confidence in the corners. I never felt totally comfortable when riding hard with these tires. The shimmy, squirm and breakloose fairly easy. I have had several instinces where I could feel the bike sliding with only a 7/10th pace. They move around so much, paully said he could see the bike moving/sliding in the corners.

At one stop, we pulled off the road, Sean was looking at the tires and pointed out. The Mich's on his and the Metz on Paullys had gravel stuck to them. The Avons were clean. Telling me the compounds in the tire are not real sticky once up to temp. They are a very hard, cold compound that dont heatup. The flip side is with easy riding they could last 7-9k miles wearing out the centers.

For casual, slow sport touring they would be fine, I guess.

Heres a pic of the front after this last weekends ride.

large.jpg

I've been running the pilot sports on both my XX and 51 and have been totally happy with them. I rode a few bikes wearing Avons and felt what your talking about and it seemed to be consistant theme. I just ordered some pilot powers for the bird and will report back on how they hold up milage wise. I have a 3-4k trip coming up when I get back from the Laguna next weekend.

I just put a set of 49/50 Avons on my 'bird. I'm just now past the scrub-in part, so I'll see how they do.

Avon made the best tires money could buy for my Valkyries and Goldwings. That's why I went with them for the Blackbird. Kinda like how I always buy Honda motorcycles, I guess.

After less than 1000 miles on my Metzelers, I love them compared to the Avons.

Now the Avons did me well, and there's no other tire I'd rather have on for a 6K mile trip, but they do lack the overall grip of more sporty tires.

But, then again, you have to give up grip for mileage. There's no way around that.

I'm guessing the Metz's won't last nearly as long as the Avons did, but definitely stick better, and feel better when leaned over.

Thats why I stopped running the 45 up front. I have been running the 49 and it holds. The 46 outback gives the mileage I'm looking for. And they wear out closer together.

I've always ran Mich's on the bird and actually have a new rear 190 HPX ready to put on, but I have to get a front for her.

I've ran Michelins S2/H2's on the RC with great results but switch to pirelli rennsports the last 2 sets and really liked the grip and overall feedback. I just installed some new Metzlers on the carbon fiber wheels, so far they seem close to the renns and pilots and have great turnin feel.

I've always been happy to give up a few thousand miles of tire for additional grip and confidence.

The Avons slide real predictable both in and out of corners but mid corner feedback is real scary.

I've always ran Mich's on the bird and actually have a new rear 190 HPX ready to put on, but I have to get a front for her.

I've ran Michelins S2/H2's on the RC with great results but switch to pirelli rennsports the last 2 sets and really liked the grip and overall feedback. I just installed some new Metzlers on the carbon fiber wheels, so far they seem close to the renns and pilots and have great turnin feel.

I've always been happy to give up a few thousand miles of tire for additional grip and confidence.

The Avons slide real predictable both in and out of corners but mid corner feedback is real scary.

What kind of Metzlers are you running? I'm had MEZ4's, which I liked quite a bit. When those ran out (~8k miles later) I switched to Roadtec Z6's, of which I still am unsure of, but they do turn-in nice.

If you liked the Z4, you'll be thrilled with the Z6 once you learn to trust it, way better tire.

I hated the one MEZ4 I put on the back, couldn't get rid of it soon enough, the stock BT57 was better. I'm now on my 4th Z6, great tire, totally happy with it.

Well after running the Avon 45/46 combo on the XX for around 6000+or- miles, I have to say I am less than enthusiastic about them and will stick to my michlins on the XX from now on.

+1 (after 20,000 miles of Avons) :roll:

I still maintain that the 45/46 is a great combo for the long haul, and all but very aggressive riding.

Any other tire listed here will not give you the mileage the Avons do, and with a decent amount of grip.

You have to give up a certain amount of grip for mileage, and the Avons are definitely the happy medium there.

If I had my choice (and unlimited funding), I'd be running track tires everywhere, but it just isn't feasable. With the Reno trip 6K miles door to door, there was no other choice in tire for me than the 45/46 combo. I trust them enough to ride aggressively on, but know they aren't going to flat-spot within the first 2K miles.

If you want to superslab a lot of miles on tires that you can still carve up the corners on, go with the Avons.

For local riding and shorter trips, I'm sticking with the M1/Z6 combo.

What kind of Metzlers are you running?  

Metz Sporttech M1's Obby.

Great turn in and grip. I cleaned off the pussy strips 1st run on them. :D

Chris I agree, long distance and easy riding (semi agressive :wink: ) they are OK. I ride way to hard to "trust" them after loosing the rear (sliding) as many times as I have with these tires, in and out of corners. The front, well you seen it, was loose and pushed a few times the last run with Paully and Sean. They just dont give me the level of confidence I need, the way I ride.

I agree that the Avon's aren't the best grip, but they will allow you to drag parts without letting go. If you are ridding harder than that(or draging parts more than once in a blue moon) get some really sticky tires not Sport Touring tires.

There is no such thing as a really sicky long life tire. You give up one for the other.

I like the Avon 45/46 combo too. They are sticky enough to let me drag the side of my boots. I've got about 6K on my set and the rear looks like it has another 2-3K in it.

It's all about riding style. I'm sure I don't ride as agressively as some of you guys.

+1 on the Avons. I'm sure there are stickier tires out there for smoking the twisties on, but I put a fresh set of Avons on to ride to Cali, and 6500 miles later the rear is just starting to really show the flat spot. I can easily get another 2 to 3K out of these tires the way I ride. I like twisties, and I can hang off and get as low as I care to (scraping pegs and all but killing the chicken strips on the rears) and feel confident in their handling. They've never pushed on me (fronts) or slid on me (rears) in dry, warm weather riding. I guess I'm just not as agressive either. If you want 9 to 10K out of a tire, and enough grip to play once you get to your destination, Avons will do it. For short range stuff, I might give the Z6's a try.

My last three avon rears were dogmeat flat after only 5500. I'm not an aggressive rider, I'm a fat guy with saddlebags on the bike fer chrissakes! My first set of Pilot Roads have almost 7k on them and judging by the amount of tread left, they've got at least another 2k left in them. Avons-been there, done that (for 20k miles), didn't like em.

If you liked the Z4, you'll be thrilled with the Z6 once you learn to trust it, way better tire.

I hated the one MEZ4 I put on the back, couldn't get rid of it soon enough, the stock BT57 was better. I'm now on my 4th Z6, great tire, totally happy with it.

Cool. Yeah, I still don't trust the tires yet. Never really do until I get a few hundred miles on them. Right now the bird turns in so fast I feel it's falling, so I'm taking it easy for a littlle while 'till I figure them out. I just need to get out on some twisties for an hour or two. Commuting on the hwy isn't going to help inspire confidence.

Metz Sporttech M1's Obby.

Great turn in and grip. I cleaned off the pussy strips 1st run on them.

Wow M1's.... geez. What kind of mileage you get from them? I may have to try them next time if it's close to 8k. Like I said, I got 8k from my Z4's (and I tore through alot of twisties with them too). Can't wait to wear in my Z6's and see how they hold up.

-Obby

I like the Avons well enough...better than the Dunlops I used to run.

But I keep hearing mega-miles out of them and I didn't get that with the one and only set I have ever had.

I got about 5500 mile out of my rear tire before I was down to the wear bars. I got rid of it the next day. Might could have put another 2000 miles on it but wasn't willing to try.

I ran 42 psi. Had bags on for the last 4500 miles. Was in flat, straight ground for the bulk of the last 3500 miles and was going pretty fast during it..say 95 mph avg, but I don't think that should have "over-heated" and helped wear it out.

Front tire's done pretty good, though. I'm at about 6500 and it might go another 2000 or 3000, we'll see.

I don't know...but I'm going with PR's again....probably....

I may have to try them next time if it's close to 8k

8k? ROTFLMAO- not a chance, man. You're looking at around 3k with the M1 rear. Great stick , short life.

I've had three sets of tires on my bike in the past month. You really have two choices, the harder tires like pilots and Avons last forever, don't cup but have less feedback and like a few have said, scary at big lean, Or the softer ones that last half as long and generally cup. The pilots to me felt like riding on particle board. If I'm going to have any kind of fun I need to have full confidence in my bike, and I don't see the point in riding any other way. Eventually tires will be cheaper than gas :evil:

I may have to try them next time if it's close to 8k

8k? ROTFLMAO- not a chance, man. You're looking at around 3k with the M1 rear. Great stick , short life.

This is true about the M1's. Im running M1 and M1 190 (yeah yeah i know 180 blah blah blah) and i OVERESTIMATED my twistie accessability, so iv squared the rear in no time and now when i turn in, im actually Falling In. Holding the line with squared rear M1, NOT HAPPENING.

IOW, Be honest with yourself and don't buy for the dream ride in the mountains (Not a HOOKERS REF JUST Hypothetical) that happends once a year or whatever. Man do the M1's heat up though.

OK I'm done. :D