CBR1100XX.org Forum

2 stroke help kinda long Atleast its a honda

Rales

I only ask here becuase you guys are awsome. Well yesterday I got a honda CR250 its a 92 in great shape, I wanted the guy ride it yesterday and the motor sounded great. I went to ride it today and went to the gas station and got 1 gallon of 92 octane fuel. I then went home and poured in aproximently 4 ounces of 2 stroke oil. I mixed it really well then poured it into the bike. It started up first kick. Went for a short ride and then it had a hard time idling or anything besides wide open. I road it for maybe 5 mins and came back. Shut it off. Thought about it. This is my first dirt bike 2 stroke. So I got a measure cup that had lines and i poured the remaining amount of oil out of the conatainer and there was 12 ounces left, in the new container there is 16. So that means I put 4 ounces in. I then started it again and it almost hesitated a little then went and hoped on it and put it in gear and it quit. I tried to restart but it wont do it now. I then changed the plug. The old one came out black and kinda oily so i think i put too much oil in but im not sure. Well the new plug went in and it still would not even hit. So i drained the fuel and thats where i sit now. When it did run it was hesitent then would bring the front end right up in the air and shift and it would come right back up. I am 240 lbs on a 250 so Im not sure what to expect. I will be checking for spark in a few. Any ideas guys. Or did i possibly just toast a motor?

Pull the plug, check for spark, sounds like you have it, but good thing to check for since it's out.

With the plug out, push the kickstart lever through a few times with your hand, should be nice and easy to do. Listen to the head, kinda through the spark plug hole. If it sounds smooth and you don't feel or hear any binding or grinding of any sort, put the plug back in.

Get a new batch of gas. Get premium 2 stroke oil FOR motorcycles, not chainsaws, etc. Drain the bowl of the carb to make life easier on the next startup. While in there, you may want to blow out the jets with air, or better yet, carb cleaner.

Should fire up. I suspect a bad batch of gas and/or 2 smoke oil. Double check the mixture rate, 50/1 is adequate and fine if you use a quality oil, 32/1 is better for protection, and 20/1 will foul unless you are on the gas all the time.

Good luck, let us see some wheelie and jump pics :lol::lol:

You won't toast a motor by adding too much oil. Was it smoking a lot? 4 ounces to a gallon seems about right if I remember correctly.

Was the bike not run for a long time? I've had dirt bikes that I've bought over the years that would run fine for a few days and then just not run right. The reed valves were weak from sitting too long and a couple days of riding would stress them and they would break causing a poor running condition.

32/1 should be fine, assuming it's jetted properly. I doubt you hurt the motor.

Check for spark, then I'd go into the carb. Keep in mind two-strokes are way more sensitive to jetting than four-strokes. Can't make any jetting recomendations as I've never owned a CR250, but it should at least run unless it's way off. How long did it sit?

Just got back checking for spark. This is how i did it. I stuck a screw driver in the boot, I then rotated the end with the kick start by hand and watched for spark. Do I actully have to kick start it to see spark. I would but I dont have another person around to help me. Also what octane should I use in the bike? I'm going to go pull the plug now and see if it seems smooth. When I rotate it with the plug it binds at the approprite spots for compression but does not make any bad noises and otherwise sounds smooth. Thanks for the help so far demon!! And I hope to soon have some pics up, it was a blast for the 5 mins I road it!!!

I honestly dont know how long it sat, I beleive I put in 4 ounces because I first eye balled the bottle for 1/4 of its contents then after the problem I measured the remaing amount, it was still sealed when I bought it so i would assume there was actully 16 ounces as indicated to start with. It does have a jet kit in it but it was running correctly. I will email the seller and ask a few questions as they were very helpfull when I bought it and i really doubt they sold me a bumb bike but who knows. I just went out and pulled the plug and rotated it. It rotates very smooth, and I hear air being pulled in then out, and I also hear a slight tap noise that I assume would be the read valves closing. The tap noise is consitant each time in the same spot.

UPDATE: I talked to the prev owner, he said more in likly i put way to much oil in as it usualy comes with about 17 ounces of oil in the container. He said to get a glass measure container to measure the mixture. I will be getting one tomorow and getting new gas, he also said 93 octane is perfect. I will be getting more gas and trying it all over again tomorow. He did also say to put the spark plug in the boot and put it against the head and see if there is spark, and there was so thats a good sing. Hopefully tomorow brings a better day!

I have a 1993 HRC CR-250. The manual says 32:1 mixing ratio. Go to a dealer and get a Ratio-Rite for your mixing needs and stop kicking yourself in the nuts. The actual octane requirements of the engine is 94, however the stock reccomended plug for the bike is cold and the bike is jetted rich, making it better suited for the masses who only have access to 91-93 octane.

Racers rejet and go with a hotter plug. I agree with the reed valves suggestion, they do get brittle and frayed and need replacement once a casual riding season.

Be advised that the power valve on 1992-1996 bikes needs to be cleaned once every 10 hours of riding time. If it is not cleaned, it can stick open and make for hard starts and poor running. You really need to get a manual :idea:

The 92 CR250 uses a keihin pj series carb. That carb doesn't have an idle circuit. It bleeds raw fuel from a passage in the choke, to keep it running a low speeds. It will idle under great conditions, but was not meant to do so for extended periods of time. It is a race bike that was designed to run at high rpm levels. Yes, you can burn up a motor by running a rich OIL to FUEL ratio. This causes the AIR to FUEL ratio to become very lean. The excess oil will simply collect in the transfer ports. 40:1 is a good ratio to run. If you mix 16 oz. to a 5 gallon container you will be good to go.(32:1 will also work, but I have found 40:1 burns cleaner) I recommend using full synthetic oil. As far as what you can do to remedy your problem. Replace the choke on your carb. It is a cheap and easy way to allow better slow speed riding. There is a O ring that wears out on the choke, which allows too much fuel to bleed into the air stream.