CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gimme a break...

Titbird

O.k. folkes....Can I start a break pad thread ? Didn't see anything in Ye Garage....

The time has come, the rear is wasted....Need some advice...

What pads do you guys like?

Is it normal to wear the rear out before the front?

I do use the rear alot...it's easier for me when down shifting (matching rpm's - bliping)...

Seems I'm slowing down alot more than speeding up.... but that can't be....now can it.... hehehe

Thanks dudes and dudetts

- Titbird

Sorry....

your right.

can one of the admins move it over there ?

Come to think of it, I replaced my back first too and I'm not heavy on the rear. I'm a big supporter of the 70/30 bias rule. Wierd. Mind you, when you use the front break, it puts a bit on the back anyway, and when you help by depressing the pedal, it probably changes that bias without you really realizing it.

I installed Galfer black pads in all three calipers. My rear and right side pads were not too bad, but my outside left pad was worn down to the metal. I think I replaced the pads at about 15K miles.

There was a long thread about this on one of the old lists. Several guys had the left outside pad worn out before any of the rest.

I ordered my Galfer parts from Cycle Brakes. I think they have two or three pad material compositions. I chose the black because it is reported to be similar to stock performance with long rotor wear. Also, Carlos recommended these pads highly.

There's a link to them in the vendors section.

I've run the EBC HH, Galfer Green, Galfer Black, and of course, OEM. Of all I would take the Greens first except for they get mushy in the rain. The Galfer Blacks are what I kept on there. No rain issues, and more predictable than the EBC's. I think the EBC's are an expert-level pad; they have a non-linear heat-friction curve and they want to lock up as you get to lower speeds. The Blacks have a much flatter friction curve relative to both speed and heat.

OK. Now my question. Do you guys make sure to keep the brake pads the same brand/model front and back? I was assuming that with linked brakes you'd really want to do that to insure proper grab front and back. Am I off base?