CBR1100XX.org Forum

Left / Right Brake Pad Swap not a good idea?

GriffXX

I’ve had the uneven pad wear similar to other threads that have been posted around here. My pads look like the pics Warchild has posted on the thread below:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=893

So I did a Left / Right swap (frugality / cheap comments aside) as a temporary fix until the new pads arrived. I then asked Sergio Galfer (who manages a Brake related thread on another board) about recommended pads for the Bird. He kind of jumped on the Left / Right pad swap I mentioned. His comment was:

“First off, uneven pad wear is very common. And in 99% of the cases it has nothing to do with the performance of a bikes brake system. So on the note, don't worry much. Never swap out your pads to the opposite side. Your pads basically get broken in a certain way, and this is how they "learn" to perform. Swapping the pads out can actually glaze them no matter how many miles are on the pads…”

I post this as just an FYI. Obviously he wants to sell more pads and sooner, but what you think?

Lastly, what is the consensus favorite product for cleaning the rotors prior to new pad installation? (WD40 does not count!)

I've been rotateing pads since 15k miles, now 35.5k Same EBC HH pads. Still more then 1/2 life left. No issues, glazing etc, just 4 perfectly even pads. :grin:

For cleaning rotors brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner what ever you have around.

New pads ordered. CycleBrakes.com still offering the 15% discount when you mention CBR1100XX.org. $30.57 per set.