CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon Review!!!

xrated

I slow down also, but they're starting to feel squirrely, like they're going to break loose at any second.

I soften the back up when i ride in the rain, i just wish i could soften the front. I may have to go with the F3 front fork caps for some adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree they stick well in the dry on a good surface but they suck over tar snakes big time if you ask me (or Cal). Anyone else feel the same? Tar snakes have run me to the outside of more than one turn where other tires I have used were not not sensitive to them. I might add that these tar snakes were not hot and gooey (sp) Nothing works well then. Jeff

Does lowering the tire pressure help in the rain on these tires. If there are not good in the rain I'll be looking for something else. It rains almost every afternoon here...... I need some input....

I have just about 3400 miles on them now, and there is about 1 mm tread depth left in the rear, if that!!!!!. I'm very disgusted with the mileage that i got out of them!!!! I don't know how Carlos gets 7500 miles out of a rear???????

On June 30th, i got my bike inspected and they marked that there was 3mm left on the rear and 4mm on the front. I went for a ride on July 2nd and put another 300 miles on them. The rear looks bald now. The front still looks fine. I'm gunna start looking for other tires, don't know what i should run. I loved the way my bike handles with them on, but i can't be buying tires every 3500 miles!!!!! I thought a sport tour tire should last between 6000 and 8000 miles?????

The 100X's look like a good one for now.

Anybody have any input??????

Have you tried the Pilot Roads yet? (Sorry to phrase the input in the form of a question; guess I've been watching too much Jeopardy.)

I don't know how Carlos gets 7500 miles out of a rear???????

Easy - see that thing connected to the end of your right arm? Learn how to control it properly. :twak: If all you are doing is hard accelaration all the time, it doesn't matter what tyres you put on the bike, you'll trash them very quickly. There are other ways of riding faster than you are doing now that chew up tyres far less than just putting sticky rubber on them. It seems you haven't learnt the secret of it yet. Young grasshopper needs more instruction.

(where's my Mr Miyagi smilie?)

Don, I've got almost 3500 miles on my 45/46s and they are not half way done yet. Although, the edges are a little bubbly and worn, thanks to 1600 miles of tearing it up on the seXXt and Hoot rides. At this rate (back in Illinois where the roads are straight), I should be looking at 7 to 8K miles with no problems. To me, they are the best tires that I've had so far, both from a mileage and traction standpoint.

Mith, i don't ride like a maniac and i also think i ride pretty smoothly.

The way Carlos says he rides, spinning the tires up exiting corners, passing cars WFO all the time, etc, etc.

I don't do high speed runs, burnouts, any stuff like that. I ride sport/Tour mode. I don't understand how some people can get 7000 miles out of them and some people only get 3400 miles out of them?

Good luck getting a 100x for the rear, they're being phased out.

Unless I come up with something else I'm getting a 020 for the rear (before they're "upgraded") and keeping the 45 on front.

I e-mailed Avon, see if I get a response, good answer, free tire. :lol::lol:

Just called, i'm getting a new rear tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spoke with John, he said that they are seeing around 10,500 from the rear tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what the guy from the add had on his Duck ST4.

What is the point of having a high horsepower bike if your not yanking on the right grip?

Plenty. It's in the way you ride. You don't go screaming along a straight, hit the brakes for a corner and yank on the throttle as you get past the apex. Instead, roll into the corner with slower speed and gently wind on the throttle before the apex and rgadually increase the throttle as you're in the corner and exiting. You should be WFO by the time you exit the corner (assuming the next one is not too close!). It's not it the amount of throttle in use, but in the way it is applied.

Same thing overtaking cars - don't just drop 2 gears and whack the throttle open. That way is a sure way to completely shread a rear tyre. Stay back a couple of car lengths and stay in the same gear and smoothly accelerate, starting before the dotted lines/oncoming car gets to you so that you're at WFO as you go past the car in front.

Doing this, I manage to get 5000 miles from a set of 208GPs on the aprilia. I'm expecting 10K miles from the BT57s on the XX. Yet, see if you can keep up on the road with me.

Tyres are simple things. If you want to spend all your time with the throttle pinned, don't expect any set of tyres to last - not even Chen Siangs...

Mith

Doing this, I manage to get 5000 miles from a set of 208GPs on the aprilia. I'm expecting 10K miles from the BT57s on the XX. Yet, see if you can keep up on the road with me.  

How is your mileage effected by non-aerodynamic drag at higher speeds?

It would seem that having a large mass protruding over your screen might hurt things. :wink:

How is your mileage effected by non-aerodynamic drag at higher speeds? It would seem that having a large mass protruding over your screen might hurt things.

The aprilia rarely gets over 110mph. It has a high screen on it anyway, making it far easier to tuck. I see no point going really fast on the straights. However, I push the bike really hard through the corners. My front tyre is down past the wear indicators on the side, the rear is through them on the middle - so you can see how I wear them out - pushing hard through a corner and then accelerating on the way out.

On the XX, A lot of the mileage comes from doing boring I-5 travel. Crusing at 70-90mph doesn't take any rubber out of them at all. However, after taking them through the twisites over ranier this past weekend, the sides have shown quite noticable wear from spinning it up coming out of corners. If I rode the bike only as twisties, then I'd expect to get about 5K miles out of the 57s. Right now, I have 7K on the clock and still at least 5mm of tread over the wear indicators in the middle on the rear.

I disagree on your statement that cruising at 90 takes no rubber off. If this were true Goldwings would never wear tires out.

I think running on highways at high speed is what kills tires. That's why I'm amazed at Carlos's mileage in the heat of Arizona.

When it's hot here, I'm amazed at how hot the rear tire gets on my 30 mile commute to work. That's at 42 psi.

I figure a hot tire has soft rubber so it comes off easier.

Tyres are simple things. If you want to spend all your time with the throttle pinned, don't expect any set of tyres to last

Well, I don't expect a tire to last because acceleration is my drug. Yea, going around a turn is fun but when I read about Dean's turbo bike, well, I can't think of anything else I would want to try more.

I disagree on your statement that cruising at 90 takes no rubber off.  If this were true Goldwings would never wear tires out

My rally/serious long distance bike is a Goldwing and my Dunlop 491 rear tires only seem to last for 24,000 or 25,000 miles so... Goldwings certainly do wear out their tires. :grin: