CBR1100XX.org Forum

NEED CHARGING SYS. HELP !!!!!

Stretch

I ve been through the charging system trouble shooting in the Honda manual about ten times. Symptoms are after riding the bike for some time, the battery will not start the bike. There are times when after trying to satrt the bike, it will start after sitting for some time, it will start, but most of the time it requires I push/bump start it. It will run fine all day after I push/bump start it.

I went through the flow chart in the manual, and decided that the rectifer/regulator was the trouble, it was not!!! The charging system meets all the vlotage and resistence readings in the manuel except there is no vlotage increase to the battery at 5,000 rpms < 15.5 V.(or any rpm) The stator/alternator coil resistance is within standards 0.1-1.0 ohms

Anyone have any ideas???????????????

Thanks Stretch

.. check all the cable connections (a poor ground can give that symptom), and the condition of any wiring exposed to the elements - corrosion can occur within the insulation if water gains access. You can seemingly have sufficient juice to run almost everything - but the starter... which is the first symptomatic casualty of a poor ground. For your sake, may it be something this simple...

Had exactly the same thing happen to me last weekend on a quick trip to france, got to the hotel bike wouldn't start at all, turned out to be the reg rec, it toasted the battery too. So new battery in i can run without the headlight the rest of the weekend and new reg rec went in today, i get 14.05 volts with headlamp on and 14.5 with it off this is at 5k rpm, dealer says that's spot on.

Iain

I'm confused. You say meets all voltage, resistence checks.

Then you say no voltage increase at 5k rpm??

Correct me if I'm wrong with your post.

Engine off, should have 12.5 volts.

Engine at 5K rpm should have 14-15 volts, but not over 16 volts.

I'd say reg/rec. but also check stator connection and reg/rec connection.