CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird Noise from clutch area

XXL-XX

:cry: Help!!!! yesterday was a beautiful day in North Jersey. I was cruising on my bird ('97 no mods w/20K miles) when it started making this weird noise on the right side of the gear box. sounds like loose objects in there, like a ducati. I did not loose power and the bike shifted smoothly. The noise persisted when I shifted into neutral and coasted to a stop. It got really loud when I had the bike on the side stand and took my lid off. Since there was no evidence of binding, I rode about 10 miles home. I checked the oil and the level is fine. I take my bike to the local shop relegiously every 2K miles for checks and oil changes. Base on what they charge for oil changes and new tires, I know they are going to want a limb or two. Has anyone experience the same problem with their bird?

Me thinks your CCT went bye-bye.

Do a search for CCT and look for a new one to swap out, preferably an X11. Should do the trick.

....Another thought, does it go away when you pull the clutch in? If so, that's normal Bird behavior, however since you say it just started, I would bet on the cam chain tensioner :wink:

Does it sound like a chatter and only when your clutch is let out in neutral. When you pull in the lever in neutral does it go away. If so, it's common with the Blackbirds. Mine does it...always has. Something chattering in the clutch, rough idle causes it if I remember correctly.

Does it sound like a chatter and only when your clutch is let out in neutral. When you pull in the lever in neutral does it go away. If so, it's common with the Blackbirds. Mine does it...always has. Something chattering in the clutch, rough idle causes it if I remember correctly.

Mine does that too, but it didn't just start up one day....

It might be worth it to pull the clutch cover off, and see if the clutch basket is ok. I heard that the clutch basket is a real weak point on Blackbirds....

Me thinks your CCT went bye-bye.

Do a search for CCT and look for a new one to swap out, preferably an X11.  Should do the trick.

....Another thought, does it go away when you pull the clutch in?  If so, that's normal Bird behavior, however since you say it just started, I would bet on the cam chain tensioner :wink:

Tanxx K9. That is what my problem is. I can go to the shop with confidence now. they are still going to ask me to turn around and do the bend over thing. :lol:

Does it sound like a chatter and only when your clutch is let out in neutral.  When you pull in the lever in neutral does it go away.  If so, it's common with the Blackbirds.  Mine does it...always has.  Something chattering in the clutch, rough idle causes it if I remember correctly.

Mine does that too, but it didn't just start up one day....

It might be worth it to pull the clutch cover off, and see if the clutch basket is ok. I heard that the clutch basket is a real weak point on Blackbirds....

Dodge, you should check your Cam Chain Tensioner because my bird ran noiseless before I had this problem.

Yep, second the cam chain tensioner (CCT). Mine made the same sound (like marbles in the casing). X11 CCT fixed the problem. Now only the clutch chatters a little when the bike is fully warm. Think that's normal though.

Yep, second the cam chain tensioner (CCT).  Mine made the same sound (like marbles in the casing).  X11 CCT fixed the problem.  Now only the clutch chatters a little when the bike is fully warm.  Think that's normal though.

Change the CCT (15 minutes) with OEM part. Noise is gone. If it returns before I hit 40K on the odometer I will try fixes from previous posts. Thanks Again. I'll see you guys in PA.