CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who likes Avons more than Pilots?

silverbird1100

I find the Avons to be a little quicker turning, but at the price of stability, and the decel wobble downright pisses me off.

I'll go a step further. I really don't like the Avons. The wobble was just the first of my problems with them.

I'm opposite. I love my Avons, even though I currently have a set of Pilot Roads on Night Train... they have about 5000 miles on them, and should be pretty well toast by the end of HookersXX next week.

For me, the Avons turn quicker, last longer and have better grip both wet and dry. I am aware of the low-speed "walking" sensation that results from their unusual tread pattern, but once out of the parking lots, it dissapears.

All this is not to say the Pilot Road isn't a good tire, because that's not so; the Pilot Road is an excellent tire for the Blackbird. It's just that, IMO, the Avons have it in most every performance catagory over the PRs, which is why I go with them.

In fact, a fresh set of Avons are waiting to be mounted when I get back form HookersXX, because the following weekend is one very hard-core Endurance Rally that I am competing in... the Utah 1088. You GOTS to have fresh tires when you pull up to the Start Line in Salt Lake City, or you don't ride! :?

I'll let you know after HookersXX. I've go a pair of Pilots on the way to replace the worn out Avons.

I really never got used to the decel wobble of the Avons, but I did trust their grip.

Screw the pilots -- who likes Avons better than stewardesses?

QOTW!!!!!!

I just wouldn't screw the Pilot (unless she's a girl....)

Perhaps.... "Forget about the pilots -- who likes Avons better than stewardesses?"

Of course, around here, the pilots might be worried anyway.

If they liked it, would that make them Butt Pilots?

I'm opposite. I love my Avons, even though I currently have a set of Pilot Roads on Night Train... they have about 5000 miles on them, and should be pretty well toast by the end of HookersXX next week.

For me, the Avons turn quicker, last longer and have better grip both wet and dry. I am aware of the low-speed "walking" sensation that results from their unusual tread pattern, but once out of the parking lots, it dissapears.

All this is not to say the Pilot Road isn't a good tire, because that's not so; the Pilot Road is an excellent tire for the Blackbird. It's just that, IMO,  the Avons have it in most every performance catagory over the PRs, which is why I go with them.

In fact, a fresh set of Avons are waiting to be mounted when I get back form HookersXX, because the following weekend is one very hard-core Endurance Rally that I am competing in... the Utah 1088. You GOTS to have fresh tires when you pull up to the Start Line in Salt Lake City, or you don't ride!  :?

Did I miss something? Are you riding Night Train in the rally instead of the FJ?

I'll let you know after HookersXX. I've go a pair of Pilots on the way to replace the worn out Avons.

I really never got used to the decel wobble of the Avons, but I did trust their grip.

Change your steering head bearings, Forrest.

The tapered ones totally solved that decel wobble in my bike. :D

Last three sets of tires have been Avons - never a lick of trouble. Thought I'd try a Road (S/N 6U7D887T, build date 19th week of '04) on the rear to see if it would get better mileage. Bad mistake. Damn thing slipped sideways as soon as I left the driveway. I thought it just needed some more scuffing, so I kept it. At 1300 miles it was still sliding sideways, mostly at lower speeds. But I never knew if or when it was gonna go out from under me...... Not a nice feeling. I pick up my new Avons tomorrow.

Did I miss something? Are you riding Night Train in the rally instead of the FJR?

Correct. Night Train has reverted back to being my primary LD Rallybike.

The FJR is just a truck.... full time commuting, two-up touring with the bride on occassion, and I will take the FJR if I need to go somewhere and actually carry some shit (have a Givi 46L top case on it).

But the Blackbird gets the nod when it comes to Endurance rally events. The FJR is extremely nice, very fast, greater torque and more horsepower than the XX, but..... it's 5-speed transmission is geared for touring, and there is no performance category that the FJR wins over the Blackbird.

Well that's just lovely Joe.

I've got a brand new pair of Roads sitting on my kitchen floor waiting to be installed for my trip to HookersXX. Now I'll be wary of losing the backend or washing out the front the whole time.

Have you checked the #'s and build date on your tires? Davesxx01 had the same problem with his rear Road at ES. His #'s were the same as mine, but the build date was 2304. If your #'s don't match ours, you're probably ok. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem so, evidently it is an isolated one.

#6U7D887T 1704 rear

6UCW887T 4904 front

So it looks like I'll be sliding the rear on this trip. That's better than washing out the front.

I guess if the back slips I can just heat it up a bit. :)

Have you checked the #'s and build date on your tires?  Davesxx01 had the same problem with his rear Road at ES.  His #'s were the same as mine, but the build date was 2304.  If your #'s don't match ours, you're probably ok.  I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem so, evidently it is an isolated one.

My PRs are having the issue of sliding rear at 41-42psi at moderate lean angle. Just a little step out. I have since backed pressure off to 33f 35r psi and encountered no issues, but in Kansas, have started to see a flat spot developing. I must say, I have not felt the need to go push these tires at all, even for my limited skill.

My #s are 6U7D887T 0404

J.

XX4me---I have had great experience with Pilot Road on the rear and Sport up front. Much more difficult to 'spin up' than the Avon 36 it replaced. Get some cautious 'run in' miles on them, working the sides-----then spin it up a few times just to see what it takes---you might be surprised how good they feel--I was. One word of caution---until you get a gooood feel for them be careful of your lean angle as you twist the throttle--cause that front end can get real light in a hurry----but hey, you guys know that..

I ran the Avon 45/46 on my ST1300. The front was a good tire it's whole life---but the rear, by about 3000 miles looked like a paddle tire on the sides from accelerating through the turns . They stick good--but the wide grooves make them prone to what I call paddle wheel cupping if you accelerate all or most of the way through the turn.

Bottom line--I was very happy with the Michlins. Happy trails kel