CBR1100XX.org Forum

Officially done with the dealership-

Redbird

I'm now set up to mount and balance my own tires, which was the last thing I depended on the dealer to do for me. Peter was my inspiration, and also did my last couple changes, so props to him for showing me the light. The supports for the balancer are retractable (okay, removable for now, but it's in the works)

Two or three tire changes and it's paid for itself.

44519035.jpg

Marc's balancer. Not cheap, but a nice pice of machine work that looks like it's last a lifetime.

44518957.jpg

Nice job, Red. I use the Harbour freight rig to mount them, a homemade balancer, and sometimes the MArc piece to help with balancing too. For kicks I had my last set done by Kolbe Honda locally and found their balancing to be WAY off, shimmying badly about 90 mph (I know, that's more than 5 mph over but wtf!). You'll be happy you did this, plus think of all the Bird monkeys that'll be showing up at your doorstep ever 5-8K miles to have you do their tires now! Keep your fridge full of beer

old car rim 14 or 15 incher, got some padding on the edge being held down by a peice of 1/2 threaded rod.

What do you use to break the seal, what length tire irons you got?

also if you wouldn't mind.. taking some pics of the process next tire change.. Would be something good to put up in the garage section.. or maybe a how to section here would be awsome to have.

I want a harbor freight changer and balancer, but this also looks simple to make..

I just took the BST carbon fiber wheels down to the Honda shop my cousins the service manager at to get some tires mounted. He looks at the wheels and straight TD's me. No way does he want to touch them. Ran them over to a new performance bike shop to do it and the fugger charged me $50! :angryflip:

Hell I changed my race tires for years. I'm going to start doing my own again!

Tim where did you get the marcs balancer at? What spoons do you recommend?