CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spiegler Lines: Take II (first breakage...)

XXBIRD

Early this evening, after talking with Mattias and re-energized with his assurances that tight lines are OK, I tackled to finalize the install. I panned out the best possible short routes to relieve the tensions from the lines and moved to the final stage. As I progressed, torquing, using loctite as it is needed for the caliper mounting bolts, etc. I was checking to see if there were any binding due to steering (I had the front wheel up in the air). It finally happened! The line from master cylinder to the 3-way manifold snapped right below the banjo assembly. The throttle cables were pulling it out when the whell was fully turned to the left. I have had tried the line routing from outside the throttle cables but it was making it totally impossible to rotate to the left. So, only other way was through inside the throttle cables despite of the tension at the end of the left turn. It lasted about ten tries before it snapped out.

I'll call them first thing in the morning. We'll see what they have to say. Even if they were to send me a new kit, it won't be with the adjusted lengths. If they were to adjust the lengths, it is going to take weeks. I am not going to put back the originals and take it out and put these "corrected" ones back just for the sake of it. I am done with it. I am not going to risk my life for it. If teh fittings can snap out this easy, I am not going to bet anything on it. Yes, indeed it may hold 400lb "tension" but it doesn't mean it can handle bending. If the line is short it means short, that's it. No trickery, can make it longer. I am returning my kit no matter what. Non matching colors, non matching manifold which also doesn't fit without mods, either too short or too long lines, seven out of seven bleed valves with wrong thread size, length, eight weeks wait... I hope I don't have to deal with the charges and I have full confidence on Gary of University Motors that he will make it right.

Good luck to you all...

Some pics. Sorry, I am too tired to do any more detailed than this. More pics at my album if you care to look at them.

This one to demonstrate how even the fitting angles are not right. This is for the Line #6 at the master cyclinder. Note how the bend was supposed to be.

normal_twobanjos.jpg

This is where it snapped

normal_break~0.jpg

because insteead of being routed like this

normal_oemlinetucked_2.jpg

this is the only way I could route...

normal_break_1~0.jpg

I am done with it. I am not going to risk my life for it. If the fittings can snap out this easy, I am not going to bet anything on it.

Wow, there has been a lot of trouble with these Spiegler lines. This is, what, the third or fourth buyer

with troubles? Seems like a high failure rate. :(

Ya for the kind of money these guys dished out on the Spiegler stuff I would have expected them to all have a very easy and well documented install process but it appears Spiegler has not put far near enough time in this kit for the CBR1100XX as it has some very seriously problems.

normal_break_1~0.jpg

That line would have fit much better had you rotated the fitting 180, and would have not likely failed on you. :?

normal_break_1~0.jpg

That line would have fit much better had you rotated the fitting 180, and would have not likely failed on you. :?

I was going to say the same thing unless there were some clearance issue or something, that line should have been rotated?.?.?

With that being said, the frustration factor alone in your situation is enough to warrant the return....

MaXX

I was going to say the same thing unless there were some clearance issue or something, that line should have been rotated?.?.?

With that being said, the frustration factor alone in your situation is enough to warrant the return....

MaXX

As I wrote the post I was too tired to get into details and post more pictures. Yes, I have tried it both ways but the other way around makes it even worst but in the the other direction. I have tried every combination before I settled with the one shown in the picture.

Ruhi, I feel your pain with the whole situation.... I'm sorry shit like that happens. I guess I'm lucky I had Tim to help me - two heads work better than one, and maybe I'm more lucky than you... (not rubbing in here !!!)

As I said before, I have only one line that could be a bit shorter (but it will make the rear wheel removal/caliper removal much eassier !) and the crossover line over the front fender twisted a bit when torqued, but other than that, with couple of tries, the kit seems to fit right.

I hope that Spiegler USA will step up and make it right.

BTW guys (not that this is any excuse !), but we paid about half of the MSRP for the kit......

I'm surprissed about the fitting/color problems, because they've offered the kit for couple of years now and they should have it diled in by now. Unless no one bought it before..... :twisted:

Good luck Ruhi and others. Hope you'll ride soon......

Cheers,

P.S. BTW, Tim and I had more problems to find the right brake fluid. Granted, we did it in the last (WRONG TIME !) moment, but we visited 7 or 8 places, before we found some.... :roll: I thought I left the comunist Poland long time ago........ :twisted:

AZITPRO, before you install the lines, line them up in proper places, make sure which end goes where, use the blue blocks to twist banjos if neccessary and check WARCHILD's instructions !!!! Much better than the factory.

Oh yeah, invite Tim to help you ! 8)

Good luck,

I hope that Spiegler USA will step up and make it right.

Indeed they did. There is no doubt both Matthias of Spiegler and Gary of University Motors had no problems with discussing and sorting it all out. I have talked to both this morning again. Last night I already have had decided that I was going to return them. I gave a call first to Spiegler and talked to Matthias. I also had pictures and mesurements of the bleed valves e-mailed to him last night. He is taken by surprise that there is a difference in bleed valve sizes from year to year. At least mine is different (my bike is 2002 and serial number is xxxxx000003, btw). He made the sizing decision based on Dale's bike's valves. [Note: most likely you all received two M8x1.00 and five M7x1.00 like I did. 1.00 is the thread pitch. 8 and 7 are the diameters. If you measure yours, it will be like 7.85-7.90mm. Measure five threads and divide by five so you know the thread size, just in case if you didn't know what it meant. It helps to be more accurate to determine the thread pitch this way if you don't have a tread gauge.] He is going to make me another line with a 20 degree bent banjo similar to the OEM and also with the right length and put it in the mail today. In terms of the other short line #5 which is from right caliper to the 3-way manifold, he agrees that it clearly looks shorter in the picture but even an 1/8" extra length would make it not mountable for such a short piece. I agreed to pay for the difference for expedited shipping to receive it before Saturday ($10) otherwise it would be as late as next Wednesday. He was trully concerned and puzzled but very kind and willing to sort it out without a doubt. Becasue of his manners handling it, I changed my mind for more than anything else besides not wanting to go through the trouble taking them apart, putting the old ones back, etc. You can trust his products as he stands behind it to support it.

Gary of University Motors is a different story of its own. He IS the most astonishingly outstanding bussiness person I have encountered in any occasion and on top of that such a pleasant person to talk to. I didn' thave any worries yesterday if I were to return them but today I have no worries that if anyone of you will encounter any issues he'll be backing you up all the way. Dale, I think you found the best person to handle this group by as far as I am concerned. When I told him what the deal was he offered and insisted to pay the shipping difference I paid to Spiegler. He called me back in ten minutes to let me know that he upgraded the shipping to "next day" so for sure I could have the replacement before Friday and he took care of the cost entirely. On top of that, he is sending me a label so that I don't even have to pay for the return items. If he is not first class, who is?

:allhail: :wave:

Good news that they are willing to get it right! I have a 2002, haven't measured my speed bleeders, so you think they are the wrong size?

I might do the clutch before hookers but that's about it. Gary assured me that even if I don't install the brake lines for many months they will still work with me until the install is done and I'm happy with it.

He called me this morning, again just to check in. He's definitely not gonna run and hide.

dan

For you to go through all that Ruhi and give Gary and Spiegler the review you have speaks volumes of their Character. Integrity is sometimes hard to come by, seems ample in this situation.

MaXX