CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mileage to switch to full sythetic oil -

Newt

Ok, not to start a flame war about which oil is better than which, I am curious as to the boards' opinion as to how many miles should be on the bike before changing over to synthetic oil. I've heard everything from at the first oil change to 5000 miles.

I'm closing in on my first 600 mile oil change and plan on putting Honda oil in it again, but am curious as to when I should switch to my synthetic of choice.

Thanks -

Greg

Guest rockmeupto125

If I chose to switch to synthetic, I'd do it with the first oil change. Metals technology is a bit different then 30 years ago when synthetics first appeared. Many vehicles come standard with synth oil.

Switched to Mobile 1 red cap in October 2002 after the first 600 mile oil change.

46k later... no problems 8)

Switched to Mobile 1 red cap in October 2002 after the first 600 mile oil change.

46k later... no problems 8)

Other than it appears to have stunted his growth :lol:

Anyone tried the 15/50 Mobil1 Gold cap yet? Sez good for 15K miles :shock: I picked up a 5 quart jug before I read it. Wallyworld by me had em on sale $21.95 :D

I have run either Mobil1 or the GN4 synthetic stuff since I purchased the bird. She had 4K miles and now has 18K.

Anyone tried the 15/50 Mobil1 Gold cap yet? Sez good for 15K miles :shock: I picked up a 5 quart jug before I read it. Wallyworld by me had em on sale $21.95 :D

I have run either Mobil1 or the GN4 synthetic stuff since I purchased the bird. She had 4K miles and now has 18K.

Been on the Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap for about 2000 mi. now and happy to report nothing different than the red cap so far, same smooth shifts etc. :wink: 8)

Other than it appears to have stunted his growth :lol:

LOL Yea, mr tall man.... You're like what... 5'7"?

I am SOO going to kick you in the knees......

:lol:

LOL Yea, mr tall man.... You're like what... 5'7"?

he's gotta be taller than that, they use the centemeters up there :P

edited to add that i would switch to syn at the first oil change, imho.

I take it that those of you recommending switching at 600 miles don't believe there is any validity to the argument about needing more time to break in ? I don't know that I buy it either, but is there any reason to not wait to switch until 4000 miles ? How much better is the shifting with a synthetic ?

Thanks -

Greg

I switched my 1000RR to Syn at 800 miles. The previous owner had dyno oil in it. Everything was going just fine until I hit about 25XX miles, then...................................................I totalled the bike! But, the engine was running good before I did!! :D

I was very suprised at how much of a difference going to a synthetic blend made a difference. The bike had regular 'ol oil ( motorcycle oil obviously ) in it when I first got it. After rididng it for mabye 1,000 miles we switched over to a synthetic blend (50/50) though I cant remember what kind it is at the moment.

NOTE: I -COULD- go to the garage right now and check but I'm feeling like a lazy ass, so if you really want to know then ask and ill go check! :P

.. but the 50/50 blend made a noticeable difference in shifts, very smooth and less clunky. Its amaizng how much a change on oil can make. As others have said, the idea is if you're going to go Synthetic switch over as soon as possible.

I got my bird used and it had standard oil in it.. Bought it with 12 K .. Now I have 19K can I just switch to synth neXXt change the shit..?

Ant new suggestions on a oil for first time snyth changes..?

10w-50 in their now..

I changed over to Amsoil at 10,000 miles. I wanted to make sure everything was seated in well.

I saw a 92 FJ1200 with 72000 miles on it come in to the shop where I used to work for a valve adjustment. The valves were all in spec!

Made a believer out of me for synthetic oil! :D

I think what I'm going to do is do the first change at 600 miles with regular dino oil, then at the 4000 mile change make the switch. Seems like that gives it enough time to get well seated, and still allows a switch over soon to improve shifting - not that it is bad right now, mind you.

Now, to figure out what synthetic to switch to...... (flame bait !)