CBR1100XX.org Forum

2 quarts low

SiX

just bought a used 03 bird with 8000 miles. when i got it home i checked the oil and it was low so i changed it. after draining i was only left with about a quart and a half. So far no leaks or blue smoke. Dont dealers usually check bikes they take in?????? Any ideas on why it would be so low?????

Never assume anything. Always check yourself. If the engine had failed the dealer would have sworn that they checked everything. You should go over that bike with a fine tooth comb. Check all fluids,chain alignment and tire pressure.

I'd call the dealer and ask how much oil a CBR1000XX should have in it. Then, when they tell you the answer I'd ask to speak to a manager and raise hell personally. If I had just spent $7000 (im assuming) I would damm well expect them to make sure there is oil in the damm thing.

I sure hope you didn't ride it far, that little oil certainly isnt good for the engine. At the least I'd have them come tow it from your house to their shop and inspect the engine now that they fucked up. Or I'd raise hell and have them take the bike back or discount you something fierce. Mabye even take a credit in the parts department or a letter in writing stating if anything is found to be damaged as a result of the low oil in the future that they cover all parts and labor.

The bird is one hell of an engine, strong as a bull - but running it on 1 quart of oil is almost suicidal. If it were me, Monday morning would be ass kicking time at the dealership...

Do you know if the oil press. light came on? I would think while braking for a stop it would.

When I buy a used bike I go over EVERYTHING. Sadly If I buy a new bike I'll have to do the same thing.

I've watched High School kids Wrenching together brand new bikes out of the crate in the parking lot at one dealer I frequent.

so far 400 miles since oil change and levles are where they are supposed to be. i'm still taking it back to the dealership this weekend to get it checked out . the people i talked to at the dealer have already admited that it's their fault for letting it out of the shop "a little low on oil". Hopefully it's all good. even though that's a hard way to learn a lesson.

so far 400 miles since oil change and levles are where they are supposed to be. i'm still taking it back to the dealership this weekend to get it checked out . the people i talked to at the dealer have already admited that it's their fault for letting it out of the shop "a little low on oil". Hopefully it's all good. even though that's a hard way to learn a lesson.

Are they planning on taking it apart and checking it or just listening to it to see if it's making "Noise"?

The bike is fine, I WOULD NOT TAKE IT BACK TO THEM FOR ANYTHING RIGHT NOW!!!! If you never saw an oil light, you are fine. First off, the XX is bullet proof, with or without oil. Second, the dealer has already prooven themselves useless and not thorough, what are they going to do for you that you haven't already done???? They will not take it apart, they will put it up on a stand, look at it, start it up, take it down and tell you it is fine. If that is what you need, great. YOUR BIKE IS FINE.

MaXX

LOL your all right on all acounts. only reason i'm taking it back to give them a chance to look at it is to get record of their mistake. in case of anything in the future happening at least ive given them this chance. Maybe i'm making a mistake but i hope not. after talking to them again they said that THEY changed the oil in october of 04 , oil.filter etc it' was marked off as being filled to SPEC. I'm having a hard time believing this unless their spec is 1.5 quarts. anyways i'll be there the whole time and i plan on making my lack of confidence in their shop well known.

oh yeah and as far as the oil light it didnt come on. does anyone know at what level it does come on? I'm hoping that the answer isnt when the pumps starts sucking air!