CBR1100XX.org Forum

Forks Going to Dan Kyle Today

AlphaBird

• 2 weeks later...

Had over things to do, so I havent put them on--I will to it tomorrow am---give my impressions afetr going for my Sunday Spin.

he put Ohlins 1.05 springs in them---so we'll see how the work

Also picked up a set of bling-bling used Ohlins forks($1200---from a recent 929 track wadding) for the 929---they may eventually make there way to the XX---after the RCB1000 upgrade ---All good

Can say enough good about Dans realving on the XX forks, took them out for a test ride---they are friggin awesome. $430(incl springs)---Dan actually keeps the stock valving, yet changes the shim-stack--polishes tubes etc----cant beat it.

One othere mod needed--because the sag has gone from 45mm in the front to 30mm---the rear needs to come up another 5mm or so-so I will do that this week---looks liken there is another 5mm of bolt left---I can also drop the front if I want as the forks dont bottom at all--all good

Dan actually keeps the stock valving, yet changes the shim-stack

Hmmmm.....did ya here that Rich....Wayne....???

The garage is open.

Alpha,

If you don't mind I have some questions. What weight oil did he use and do you know if he modded (opened up the orifices) the valves in any way or changed the check washer spring(s)? Also since there is little area to drill the stock comp. valve...do you know if he drilled the cartridge tube instead? Thanks in advance.

G2

Dan actually keeps the stock valving, yet changes the shim-stack

Hmmmm.....did ya here that Rich....Wayne....???

The garage is open.

Alpha,

If you don't mind I have some questions. What weight oil did he use and do you know if he modded (opened up the orifices) the valves in any way or changed the check washer spring(s)? Also since there is little area to drill the stock comp. valve...do you know if he drilled the cartridge tube instead? Thanks in advance.

G2

Dont know---give him a call Im sure he will let you know---Dan has revalved both od my bikes and hundreds of others---to tell you the truth--I am not that concerned what he did to them---I asked about the valves, because there is ALOT of debate---whether a Racetek --low resistance flow style of vlave is beneficial or NOT---dont want to start a huge debate here---as it has gone on and on in the past. But If someone is interested in having their forks done for a Pro---for generally less than the complete parts cost of the Racetech revalving---This is another $430 option.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Hugo

Hugo--I am still waiting for the 19.3 rear spring(on backorder from Ohlins) after its on, reshimmed (should be done in a week)---you can take it for a ride---see what you think---maybe provide a less-biased opinion-----later :lol:

Dont know---give him a call Im sure he will let you know

OK, I'll give it a shot. Usually most business owners don't like to give away tricks of the trade to just anyone who calls nor should they be expected to. I'm trying to improve the valving for fellow riders using the stock bits (some already have springs) and anything that shortens my R&D time is helpful. :wink:

G2

I'm looking for a good compliment to my Penske 8981 shock for the front forks. Even though the "Unmentionable Tuner" :grin: has stirred controversy in the past, I am strongly considering him for my fork mods over Race-Tech. You and Warchild seem very happy with his work.

I'm looking for a good compliment to my Penske 8981 shock for the front forks.  Even though the "Unmentionable Tuner"  :grin: has stirred controversy in the past, I am strongly considering him for my fork mods over Race-Tech.  You and Warchild seem very happy with his work.

For me it's even simpler, none of the good suspension tuners in the area (Kyle, lindemann) use race-tech. The only guy - Derek - who had it done locally using Race-tech got a screwed-up job (spontaneous tank-slappers) and had to have it re-done by Lindemann. Not that I doubt the race-tech stuff can fit the bill, it is just that if you want the Race-tech stuff here, you get an idiot mounting it. Last, I've ridden Howard's bike (Lindemann mod) and I could live with that mod easily.

Hugo

I will say this: Even though I got what I feel was a good deal on springs and valves from Mith at a little over $300, I still have to play with different shim stacks to see what is best for me. Taking the cartridges out several times, even though I can do it without removing the forks or front wheel, is still time consuming. The extra $100 or so to let D. Kyle do the work is definitely worth it. $430 is probably one of the best options unless you simply must do the work yourself. Hopefully I'll have some experience to share on the XX fork set-up in the near future. Stay tuned.

G2

I will say this: Even though I got what I feel was a good deal on springs and valves from Mith at a little over $300, I still have to play with different shim stacks to see what is best for me. Taking the cartridges out several times, even though I can do it without removing the forks or front wheel, is still time consuming. The extra $100 or so to let D. Kyle do the work is definitely worth it. $430 is probably one of the best options unless you simply must do the work yourself. Hopefully I'll have some experience to share on the XX fork set-up in the near future. Stay tuned.

G2

There is also another thing that Dan does that is difficult to do at home. Honda forks typically suffer pretty bad from stiction, as they run pretty tight fork seals. Dan polishes the tubes to a very smooth surface finish--If you have a surface finish gauge--you could measure the difference---on the bike---it really reduces---free stiction----just a thought

It is this kind of attention to detail that has made me a true believer---I still cant figure out how he got everything so dead-nuts on w/o playing with the forks on the bike---$$$$ very well spent :lol:

Wish I would have sorted this BEFORE I scraped/ground the pee out of my Akrapovic collector :roll:

I e-mailed Dan Kyle today with several questions on his XX fork mod per Alpha's suggestion.

He e-mailed me back with answers to my questions.....today.

Impressive! :-o :grin:

One more for Alpha: DK said he used 5wt. oil with the stock valves. Have you had enough time yet to notice any whooshing sound eminating from the forks? Several forum members reported this condition after changing to the lighter oil without doing any other mods.

Thanks, G2

You cant go wrong with DK forks. I have done 2 sets of forks for my (street and track) RC's and both sets are awesome. The man is a knows his stuff! :cool: And you really can tell a difference in the polished sliders. :grin:

Greg, I did warn you about that though. Doing your own forks is something you do because you are mechanically minded and enjoy doing the work - also that you want to really understand what is going on. As I originally said, I had no idea about the best setup to suit an XX, having never done one before, so there was going to be a fair bit of tinkering to find out what the best setup is. I'd appreciate it if you'd send me the details of the final stacks you used so that I can catalogue it all to hand out good advice to the next comer.

Still have to address some of those things you said in the PM. I've been running around like mad with work recently (we've picked up a "save our arse" project that needs to be done by the 15th) and just no time to do anything. Not even reading these boards much recently. I still haven't finished off the online article yet for that stuf... :sad:

Greg, I did warn you about that though. Doing your own forks is something you do because you are mechanically minded and enjoy doing the work - also that you want to really understand what is going on. As I originally said, I had no idea about the best setup to suit an XX, having never done one before, so there was going to be a fair bit of tinkering to find out what the best setup is. I'd appreciate it if you'd send me the details of the final stacks you used so that I can catalogue it all to hand out good advice to the next comer.

Still have to address some of those things you said in the PM. I've been running around like mad with work recently (we've picked up a "save our arse" project that needs to be done by the 15th) and just no time to do anything. Not even reading these boards much recently. I still haven't finished off the online article yet for that stuf... :sad:

Greg, I did warn you about that though. Doing your own forks is something you do because you are mechanically minded and enjoy doing the work - also that you want to really understand what is going on.

Absolutely! I am enjoying playing with the valves and have already found out lots of good info from experience and from other sources, yourself included. Jacob at Traxxion Dynamics discussed fork set-up with me and also showed me several of their valves and what shim set-up he would use on the heavy XX. They use anodized aluminum valves and they do drill them. Another of his suggestions is to use little or no high speed shims.

He also answered a question that was nagging me: If the rebound valve free-flows oil through it during the rod's downstroke because of the checkwasher relieving, then what is forcing oil past the comp. valve shimstack? :wink:

I'm also trying to come up with a low cost improvement for all the forum members who want a more compliant front fork. Nothing happens fast at my house but I'll eventually get all I've dicovered posted. Stay tuned.

G2

I e-mailed Dan Kyle today with several questions on his XX fork mod per Alpha's suggestion.

He e-mailed me back with answers to my questions.....today.

Impressive! :-o  :grin:  

One more for Alpha: DK said he used 5wt. oil with the stock valves. Have you had enough time yet to notice any whooshing sound eminating from the forks? Several forum members reported this condition after changing to the lighter oil without doing any other mods.

Thanks, G2

Not really but then again I ride with an MP3 player----like Randy said after a guy like Dan has done 1000 sets of Honda forks---he learns a thing or two :grin:

In order to correct the steering geometry of the XX after I lost 15mm of sag (45mm to 30mm) in the front after dan installed the proper springs(1.05s)--I jacked up the rear via washers another 6-7 mm---there is NO more thread left on the shock mount--the locking threads are engaged--but I added some lock tight just in case---turn -in is incredible---I could only get it up to 128MPH in the twisties---but NO sign on instability--HARD on the brakes form 100+ no weirdness---BTW you can really tell how well the forks work---hard on the brakes. Also have buku ground clearance now too----ALL good :lol: