CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N Filter question

Amherst XX

Okay, so I swapped out the stock air filter on an otherwise stock 97 XX and I fired the beast up (No fairings at this point).

The bike hesitated when I cranked the throttle hard at like 4500RPM or so and then (after about a second or so) reved the rest of the way. I let the bike warm up a little and tried the same thing...same results. Am I missing something? I haven't put the bike back together yet as I am pondering putting the stocker back in. Any input would be appreciated. I have a theory that it might be because the fairings aren't on yet and therefore is sucking air in too easily but that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks,

Pat

so...I'd be better off with the stocker until I can get the coin to rejet?

Not neccesarily.... alot of bike shops around here anyways are willing to swap Jet's.

So maybe if you find out just what Jets you need from the great people of this site....

it might not even cost you a dime... I'ld help but I have a 99 FI...

and since you already have the Fairring off... now seems like a good time to me.

PS. your Pilot Jets are the most important.

Okay...does anyone have a diagram of the various hoses and such that attach to the petcock and carbs (vacuum lines)?

I think there's one missing...very bottom of the petcock has a connection point for a hose but there's none connected. I might have pulled it off inadvertantly when I lifted my tank but I can't seem to find an obvious candidate for the missing hose.

I think there's one missing...very bottom of the petcock has a connection point for a hose but there's none connected. I might have pulled it off inadvertantly when I lifted my tank but I can't seem to find an obvious candidate for the missing hose.

Nope, nothing goes on that little nipple-looking thing that is at the very bottom pointing downward. The vacuum line goes on the diaphragm nipple that faces toward the tank.

The stumble is definately from the K&N and you'd be really lucky if a bike shop would swap the jets for free.

Before you rejet, determine if you're going to keep the stock exhaust forever or go to a 4-2-1 since now would be the time to change if you're going to do it. If you're going to swap later, I would set the K&N aside and put a stock filter back in.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do for now. I think this fall I'm gonna change the pipes and rejet anyways. I just thought I'd put the K&N in a little early because there's an all-bike drag racing weekend coming up and I figured it couldn't hurt....guess I was wrong. :roll:

We've heard this before on the carb'd bikes that the K&N gives it a lean stumble without jetting.

Put the stock filter back in until you want to rejet, and in the meantime, run a decent fuel system cleaner through it. :)

We've heard this before on the carb'd bikes that the K&N gives it a lean stumble without jetting.

Put the stock filter back in until you want to rejet, and in the meantime, run a decent fuel system cleaner through it. :)

Yeah, put the stock filter in and if you have the stumble, look for vacuum hose...That should let you know what it is. :D

I THINK IT IS VACUUM LINE

My apologies...........I haven't tried the K&N yet myself, but received one for free from another member who encountered the exact same symptoms that you are describing. Stock bike except for the K&N. Once he put the stock filter back in, all was good so he gave me the K&N.

I haven't tried it yet myself, so I'm not speaking from direct experience.

I am interested to see what happens when you swap them back out, though.

Keep us posted!

I guess I hadn't heard of that. :oops:

Seems odd though. That means that the stock filter has to restrict air flow at as little as 4500 rpm. Seems strange on a bike built to be the fastest production bike in the world.

I've also seen dyno charts that show no measureable improvement over stock w/ the K&N installed. Who knows. :scratchhead:

Yeah, according to my last years dyno results that is EXACTLY where the flat spot is. Okay...so I swapped the filter back and put the bike together. Fired it up and let it idle for a second....cranked it and KAPOW!!!! the mother of all backfires. I think my neighbor's dog shit himself :D

After that everything was back to normal. I think I'll wait until I swap out the exhauast and jets this fall.

Thanks guys.

..cranked it and KAPOW!!!! the mother of all backfires. I think my neighbor's dog shit himself :D

I think my 12 english bulldog puppies heard it too. Theres shit all over there pen! :lol::D

They either heard it or there having a potty party. Little fuckers.

Very unlikely the K&N caused your problem. I think you still have something unhooked or hooked up wrong.

When I got my 97, I put in a K&N, no stumble. Then slip-ons, no stumble. Then a jet kit, it did run better and removed the flat spot but .......