CBR1100XX.org Forum

painted fairing screws

GUMBYBOB

Ever look at the XX and wonder why the fairing screws aren't the same color as the fairing? I mean, after all, it's a beautifull "slab sided" fairing free of non-essential lines and "boy racer" graphics. But those damn screws stick out like a sore thumb. So I got some touchup paint (black for my '97). I went to Walmart and got what looks like a lipstick container with its own little brush inside. Backed off the screws a bit, painted the edges, tightened them back up again, then dobbed some in the hex hole. Sure, next time I put a wrench to the screw, I'll need to touch up the paint in the hex holes, but man, those screws now blend in perfect. No silver DOTS on the fairing and around the windshield. I also did a few toward the rear of the bike, too.

Anyone else anal enough to even notice those silver screws while admiring their machines?

O.K. if you have a silver XX, you're excused....

I blacked all mine out too :grin: .

Had the bike apart for some powdercoating work and I took all the bolts and pushed 'em through a piece of cardboard and spraypainted them.

They're holding up reasonably well, though after about 14,500 miles and several fairing removals they're starting to look a bit rough on closer inspection. Mine's red, BTW- I like the black and red look :grin:

See if I can find a pic.........

O.K. if you have a silver XX, you're excused....

Damnit... I was jsut going to say, nope never had this problem :lol:

You know one thing I did notice.. I read somewhere the dimples in the fairing bolts came from the SR-71... I got pics of a real blackbird, and there is one about 40 minutes down the road from me... you can walk all around it and what not... There is not one freaking bolt on that plane that has dimples on it.. and believe me the skin of that plane is covered with screws...

Dave

Yes I got some pics of it... Its parked at a Air Museum in Richmond Virginia. I want too go back and take a few pics of it with my bird, and my buddies bird together :wink: The director at the museum rides, so might get the chance to do it...

Dave

Anyone else anal enough to even notice those silver screws while admiring their machines?

Yeah, I love them.

If you want to make this sort of thing last, bake the paint right after spraying. Apply a very light "dusting" coat that doesn't cover completely, and let it nearly dry (just a few minutes for most spray paint). Apply a normal coat. Let near-dry. Apply one more coat, then pop the items in the oven at 200 for about 15 minutes.

Oh, and my local SR-71 is only 10 minutes away... :grin: