CBR1100XX.org Forum

Well, that's F'n GROSS.... K&N Air Filter

Hobicus

So... I called in sick today, I've been fighting a cold and got about 3 hours sleep last night.

Decided that maybe since it was nearly 14k miles since I put in my K&N filter that I'd pull it and clean it. After all, I've got nothing but time today, since I feel too out of it thanks to the lack of sleep and sudafed to actually do any real riding.

HOLY FUCK was that thing GROSS. Bugs like you would NOT believe. I usually replaced the OEM every 12k. Wonder if i need to do the K&N more often...

I have, however, come to the conclusion that the clean, wash, dry, oil, replace process for K&N filters is a PIA. The cleaning/oiling process alone takes at least an hour or so. I'm starting to really wonder if it's worth it. OEM air filter from Ron Ayers = $33+freight, but I could be done by now. As is, I'm waiting for the air filter to "dry naturally" by sitting it in the sun. :roll:

I recommend you bring it home on empty in the evening. Go ahead and lift up the tank, get the filter out, do the brush it off, then wash it routine, so you can leave it to dry naturally overnight. You can then oil it up and put it back together the following day.

She's finally back together... What a huge PIA though. Not sure I'd go that route again.