CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pretty sure stator gone

Dotetcher

I've been haveing an intermittent problem with the battery discharging since late last year. First noticed the problem when using Gerbing gear when it started to get chilly. I connected a digital multimeter a couple of weeks ago and noticed the numbers not at spec. Charging voltage when RPMs at 5000 would waver between 13.5 and 15 volts. The battery discharged fully yesterday. I just pulled in the driveway when the gauges (speedo) died. I've run the tests in the service manual and there seems to be a problem. I charged the battery enough to start the bike and put the Multimeter on it while the bike was running, brought it up to 5000 rpm and the voltmeter didn't budge.. Stayed at 12.8 volts. I checked for continuity between the 3 yellow wires (the ones in the regulator harness)and ground and there was continuity in all 3. According to the manual that's a bad thing. At that point they say replace the stator. So I guess I'm in the market for a stator. Any suggestions where I can get one cheap. It's $165 at Ron Ayers. Is it worth trying to find one used?

Lets clarify before we condemn the stator.

Reading between 2 yellow wires should get .22-.26 ohms.

Reading between any of the yellow and ground should be no continuity.

The reg/rec should die WAY easier then the stator.

If it's indeed dead, don't buy used. go to

http://www.hondadirectline.com/

or

http://www.servicehonda.com/

Or whoever is cheapest.

How much continuity do you measure?

It's typical on a digital meter to actually measure a resistance, but it will be extremely high (in mega ohms).

That is not considered continuity!

How does the plug look on the regulator at the three yellow wires? I just went through a spell of charging system woes, and it turns out the problem was the connection at the regulator.

The connector was melted on both sides, so I soldered the wires together. All good now :D

Lets clarify before we condemn the stator.  

Reading between 2 yellow wires should get .22-.26 ohms.

Reading between any of the yellow and ground should be no continuity.

The reg/rec should die WAY easier then the stator.

I get a reading of between .4-.5 ohms between yellow wires.

Like I said there is continuity between ground and all three yellow wires.

I still think your stator is fine.

What do you consider to be continuity? What's the actual meter reading?

I still think your stator is fine.

What do you consider to be continuity? What's the actual meter reading?

Continuity is a completed circuit. Multimeter is set to sound a tone if there is continuity, which it does on all three yellow wires to ground. The service manual says if this occurs replace the stator. Am I missing or misunderstanding something? I'm definately no expert and don't mind being told I'm not doing something correctly.

How about cross referencing stators from different bikes? I have a friend who has a stator from a 1998 CBR 900. He says the alternator cover looks excactly like the cover from my '97XX and was wondering if the stators were the same. I've noticed the part #'s are different but the diagrams on the parts fiche look excatly the same. Wishful thinking on my part.or are they the same?

Guest rockmeupto125

No idea. Different part numbers. Only way to know if it will work is to try it. I've been assured several times that the covers are different...I know they don't use the same gasket.

there are two different size stators for the 900 . The bore is smaller on one requiring a different cover. I just went through that on my 900 , ended up with two covers and only one fits the stator. Don't know if they fit the XX or not :?