CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tools

N1K

I'm going to try to make the best of my fucking stupid ass bullshit cock-licking mistake of fucking up my oil pan and take the initiative to get more tools and stuff.

Right now the only real automotive tools I have are a SMALL socket set (3/8" drive) and the Honda tool kit. :lol: and a BIG torque wrench that I use to tighten down the rear axle nut.

So what are some basics I need to buy?

I was thinking a BIG socket set. Anyone got any suggestions? Should I go with craftsman, or is that just overpriced, and something at a discount auto parts store is just as good?

I also thought a good set of allen wrenches is something I'd use a lot on the bike.

Probably one with a wratchet capability

I think I'll need a smaller torque wrench also... So I don't over-tighten drain plugs. :roll:

I don't want to go nuts with obscure tools I'll never use, just the basics that I'll use in ordinary maintanence. Anything else you guys would reccomend?

I was thinking a BIG socket set.  Anyone got any suggestions?  Should I go with craftsman, or is that just overpriced, and something at a discount auto parts store is just as good?

Buy quality tools. You'll have them forever, and they're less likely to piss you off when you need them the most.

Quality tools have thinner walls, and grip fasteners better. Plus, the ratchets work better as well.

Unless you're working on 12pt fasteners, buy 6pt sockets. Again, less likely to round off a bolt or nut.

I also thought a good set of allen wrenches is something I'd use a lot on the bike.

Probably one with a wratchet capability

The ratchet capability probably isn't that important, but definitely buy a set of allen keys, or allen sockets. They keys are cheap as hell, and come in a holder so you don't lose them. The sockets are more expensive, and the cheap ones strip easily. If you don't use them a lot, go with quality keys, instead.

I think I'll need a smaller torque wrench also...  So I don't over-tighten drain plugs.

Definitely! Buy yourself two. A small lb/in torque wrench for 30-250 lb/in approx., then buy a lb/ft wrench that will go from 20-80 or so lb/ft. The two of them will cover almost all of the bases.

I don't want to go nuts with obscure tools I'll never use, just the basics that I'll use in ordinary maintanence.  Anything else you guys would reccomend?

A decent set of wrenches (you can get them with their own holder, too), and some assorted pliers. Picks come in handy in certain situations, and don't forget screwdrivers.

Welcome to the world of buying tools. You'll probably never stop now :wink:

Do you have a manual, Nik? If not, might as well put that on the list as well. :?

Cratfsman or Husky (Home Depot) tools work very well. A full set of metric sockets+ a 22mm, 24mm and I think you'll also need a 27mm socket, some metric combo wrenches, defintitely at least a good torque wrench (I like my Husky one a lot!), a pair of channel locks, needle nose pliers, a shit load od duct tape in case something moves and shouldn't, a few screw drivers, allen head set that fits on your 3/8" sockets (5 and 6mm are most prominent), a universal for the socket wrench, a couple extensions, a big ass hammer for coercing parts into place. I foget what esle...

Nik doesn't need a "Big ass" hammer 8)

Just an addendum to Chris's post, You may want to consider or torque wrench that has a range below 10lbs. it'll cost you more initially but with your strength it might save you in the long run.

I've got Craftsman. Snap off an allen wrench, crack a socket, break a screwdriver prying with it, doesn't matter. You'll get a new one for life.

Find rusty pliars at the bottom of a river, as long as you can tell they're Craftsman, they'll replace them.

When I started riding some 40 years ago, in addition to your home/shop tools, one always had a personal tool roll on the bike. It was usually composed of those things you knew (from hard earned experience) that either you or one of your riding buddies would likely need.

Since you had to anticipate problems with mostly American (SAE), European (metric) and some British (Whitworth.. whoa, anybody remeber them?) bikes the tools in that roll had to be pretty generic and adaptable - plus the old stand-bys; flashlight, duct/electrician's tape, bailing wire, & spare spark plugs. One learned very quickly not only to acquire quality tools with lifetime warranties, but get those that could be exchanged (no questions asked) when they failed or were damaged at convenient locations... If one was on the road, away from one's home stomping grounds, that aspect became a critical consideration.

Craftsman was (and still is) good quality - and you could/can find a Sears in almost any city/town (of any significant size) in the continental US; just look in a phone book. I love Snap-On, MAC, etc.. all those high quality (and expensive) tools, and I've acquired quite a bit over the years... but I use and rely on my Craftsman stuff far more frequently. And without a doubt, whenever I've had to seek a warranty replacement (all tools can break, notwithstanding manufacturers' claims,... mainly 'cause we tend to abuse 'em) at Sears it's always been a painless exchange (no questions)... I really hate it when I have to find my Snap-On man in a hurry.. :roll:

Nik, I know you're looking for a basic home/shop tool set, but consider the offered warranty carefully - and the ability to make good on it - anywhere.

Keep that 3/8 driver but cut the handle in half,this way even You with your muscles won`t be able to strip bolts. :lol::lol:

BTW Steve is about right what you might need.Don`t buy tools that are too cheap,they will soon or later fail and that can drive otherwise sane man MAD.You know, Murphy`s Law.

I have Craftsman and Huske tools plus some really cheap shit .I did stripped some Craftsman drivers,no biggie, they replace them right away.

Fuck.... I don't have the time to go in to this right now....

But I'll just start with....

DON'T FUCKING BUY CRAFTSMAN TOOLS!

Although I have to admit I like their new sockets with the large numbers on the side.......... but I break 4-5 of them every year.

Do you live near a sears store? And would you mind if in the middle of a project you break one of there cheap P.O.S.'s, have to stop what you're doing to go down and get it replaced?

My time is my money.... I've broken 2 1/2" ratchets, 2 3/8", slaid a 9/16 wrench and stripped more screws withthere stupid screwdrivers than I can count.

Currently... I am looking at Kobalt tools from Lowes as my top choice... bang for the buck wise. Plus they have a great selection.

Of course if you really want to get serious about buying GOOD tools, last you for the rest of your life tools, se if you can find S&K tools. :wink: They are owned y a company called FACOM, which is a european company.

There is a little more info here... http://bracketmasters.com/Tool%20Facts.htm

Later.

Spent $600 today at Sears on a 154 piece wrench set (all 6 pt sockets) a 32 piece allen set, universal adapters, extentions, rolling work-cart, second torque wrench (0-150 'beam' type 3/8" drive)(already had a big one (breaker type 20-250 or something like that (1/2 inch drive))

Shit, I can see what you guys mean about tools.. As soon as I started looking, I was like DAMN, I could spend $2000 and not have everything I wanted.

But I got the basics, and now I'll just add piece by piece. I'll take a picture of my so-fars tomorrow.

Spent $600 today at Sears on a 154 piece wrench set (all 6 pt sockets) a 32 piece allen set, universal adapters, extentions, rolling work-cart, second torque wrench (0-150 'beam' type 3/8" drive)(already had a big one (breaker type 20-250 or something like that (1/2 inch drive))

Welcome to the candy store, Nik. $600 first time out of the chute, I do like your style.

Well I don't blame you..... they are lifetime guaranteed.

Now go back out to the garage and back your 1/2 inch torque wrench off to Zero. And do it everytime you use it, it has a spring for tension that you don't want to give a memory to. :wink:

Now go back out to the garage and back your 1/2 inch torque wrench off to Zero. And do it everytime you use it, it has a spring for tension that you don't want to give a memory to

Oops.. So probably leaving it at 69 ft pounds all winter wasn't such a good idea?

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to the candy store, Nik. $600 first time out of the chute, I do like your style.

Go big or go home... That's what I always say. :wink:

Rolling work-cart? Which is that? What do you have in the way of tool boxes?

I have one 5-drawer tool box on wheels and am looking at buying another bigger one.

They have some a Home Depot, good prices.

Almost every tool I buy comes with a case. The few that didn't I went to Home Depot or Lowes and picked up a plastic tool box for storage. It helps keep them from getting damaged from knocking around and keeps all the parts and pices together. I just picked up a small tool box for about $5.00 at Home Depot for my sander and sand paper.

Now if I could just get Jackie to put them back in the cases when she's done using them.

This is the cart I got. I think it was like $273 or something like that at Sears.

It has a light under the top canopy. The work surface lifts up to a divided storage area, and then it has the drawers. I like the power outlet strip in back too.

Then I got the 145 piece wrench set you see (with all 6pt sockets)

32 piece allen wrench set, universal joints for th 1/4 3/8 amd 1/2 drive.

I now have 2 torque wrenches the beam and the breaker type.

41903259.jpg

I realized today I need a rubber mallet. (gotta have something to hit shit with) and a 12" extension.

I have a TON or construction tools, but this is my first real set of automotive tools.

Guest rockmeupto125

I didn't know you could get an extension for a mallet. That would be REALLY helpful sometimes.....

I need a rubber mallet. (gotta have something to hit shit with) and a 12" extension

I didn't know you could get an extension for a mallet.  That would be REALLY helpful sometimes.....
I need a rubber mallet. (gotta have something to hit shit with) and a 12" extension

Yeah for when you REALLY want to take 2 steps back, make an overhead swing, and beat the shit out of it.

As for a rubber mallet, get a shot-filled one, called a deadblow hammer. They don't bounce like rubber and sound like maraccas. They put a lot of force on target and you don't have to worry about the rebound.

Nice choice on the tool set, I started out much the same way, with a $200, 300-piece Craftsman set. About the only thing I'd suggest is get some better ratchets, as the Craftsman ratchets are junk. Not fine enough teeth for my taste. I'd suggest Proto, Blackhawk, Snapon or Mac.

I started with this:

00933275000-dlv.jpg

And now, 5 years later, have to have this:

11699437-M.jpg

I do a TON of work for other people, but tool purchasing is an addiction. Good luck.