CBR1100XX.org Forum

Alignment for rear tire?

GimPin

how difficult is it to realign your rear tire after taking the wheel off? I need to replace the sprocket and chain and I am wondering if the shop has access to any better tools than I would? is there anything special I need to do to make sure this is straight or can I just run the adjustments in to the stops and back them out the same amount and then just make sure the chain runs smoothe with the sproket teeth in the middle of the chain

I use two wooden dowls (long). Put one through the swingarm bolt, and the other through your rear axel. Then have them come out equal distance on either side of the bike (ie, a foot). Then measure from end of the axle dowl to the end of the swingarm dowl on one side, compare this number to the other side. Adjust alignment and repeat. Works GREAT!. Don't worry about wood warpage since it'll just "U" and then you'll have the two ends drooping, which doesn't effect distance to the other dowl by any appreciable amount.

Tried other variations includine measure axle (small amout of change equals big aligment = greater chance of error), string (pain in the ass), stick on chain (hard to gauge due to the short stick), etc. Give it a shot, it'll cost you about 4 bucks to buy the dowls.

The problem with the wood dowel method is it gets the tire square in the swingarm but not to the front wheel or for that matter to the front sprocket.

I'm still looking for a way without buying a 6ft. carpenters level.

The string thing is a pain and I didn't trust the results.

I'm also theorizing that the deceleration wobble we get is from wheels being out of allignment.

pete, if the tire is square in the swing arm then it should be square with evrything else, unles your frame is bent... there is no other adjustment you can do, you cant adjust the way the wheel sits side to side. the only problem I can see with the dowel method is how the dowel sits in the axle and in the swing arm pivot, if its loose at all there is the possibility of the dowel siting diferently on either side of the bike, ie is it sitting centered in the bottom of the hole or is it forward or back compared to the center, or when you measure and have the tape measure touching the dowel is it staying centered? just a thought and wondering how you check that cause it sounds like a great way to check aligment, but those are my concerns, and what size dowel thickness?

It's all about mfg. tolerances. If we trusted them we would go by the lines on the swingarm.

Computrack does laser allignment checks of brand new bikes and can tell you by model what will be off.

Motorcyclist covered this a while back and they had a R6 that the wheels were offset a 1/4 in. but they at least got them inline.

So my question remains, what is an easy way to get the tires precicely inline?

yikes.. thats crazy did they say how much the average xx was off by? I understand the manufacturing tolerences, but that is one thing you would think they would try and control. only way I could think of is to put it on an alignment machine, and the next question is do they have an alignment machine for bikes? and then after you aligned the front and rear wheels, what about your sproket? that is pretty dam important to be in a straight line... oh my god to much shit to deal with... my heads gonna pop.. fuck it, as long as my sprokets aligned I will live with it.. just dont let go of the bars and you wont have the front end wobble... :-)

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose head is going to pop. :lol:

The Computrack is for bikes several locations throughout the country, I have'nt been there yet and they didn't mention XXs in the article.

I am really questioning my allignment now that Swamp got 7500 miles out of his Avon rear and I'm at 3/32nds at 2500 miles.

Hopefully the chain and wheels come into allignment together but I doubt it.

I dont think tire alignment would have much to do with tire wear since its only two wheels, it would just drive down the road alittle crooked.. I think... maybe your just riding harder than him(swamp), he did put alot og highway miles on this last set. I can get about 5-6000 on my 208's but I do alot of freeway riding and I ride the twisty's alot on the weekends, and my sides are usually worn more than the centers. I did jsut toast my chain from having the rear wheel twisted alittle from my last adjustment. costly mistake

I thought it was the freeway miles that eat my tires in the middle.

I only dream of being able to wear edges first.

Maybe if I only used the bike only for cornering and lived on the curvy road I could but I commute 30 miles 1 way with some corners so I always wear out the middle.

The dowel trick works well, and works better if you use metal rods.

Only problem is: The XX uses a solid axle, so you can't use the dowel trick.

The string is a pain in the ass, but it works. So does the method of checking chain alignment with the rear sprocket, and it's a lot easier.

FYI, I also had the low speed decel wobble, until I replaced my head bearings. Even with the forks lowered, and the bike obviously unstable at higher speeds, the low speed wobble was gone. I've since raised the forks back up, still no wobble, then raised the rear of the bike, and still no wobble.

Check your head bearing adjustment. Mine were barely finger tight at 15k.

do you guys really worry about shit like that? I make sure the chain alignment is good and ride, there really nothing you can do if the front end is out anyway, cept buy a new frame, swing arm...and shit it still might be out! :moon: align and ride or align and drink beer and ride the next morning... :beer:

Wha? Where are you from? Cdn XX's have hollow rear axles (at least mine and one other I looked at did). Maybe it varies by region..can't see why though.

Does anyone else have a solid?

The dowel trick works well, and works better if you use metal rods.

Only problem is: The XX uses a solid axle, so you can't use the dowel trick.

Where are you from?

It's finally happening, the mighty Northman is being forgotten :sad: . You really should check in more, Chris :) .

My axle is hollow, '01 U.S. model.

ooh maaan. that's just plain mean! beth is a cutie!

Alright, alright I'm sorry... :grin:

My co-worker said she was probably just making some for everyone. At least she doesn't mind you spending time on your bike.

Joe

I have a very heavy magnetic base with arms on it that ajust, attached to one arm is a 1 inch gauge, in thou,s. The whole thing sits on the floor, I simply aline the guage to the rim of the wheel first, spin the wheel, once thats in tolerance, check the sprocket as well. Piece of cake. the whole thing cost me 24 bucks at a local tool shop. sorry can't post pics. ( yet )

All right! My brain had a total lapse. :oops:

I was sitting here reading Mikey's post on the axle trick, and trying to recall the axle being hollow. As many times as I've had the tire off, I just couldn't recall it being hollow, and the bike isn't here to check.

I just went and dug out my spare axle, and sure as shit, it's hollow.

My apologies, and it won't happen again................... :sad:

It's finally happening, the mighty Northman is being forgotten

You give me WAY too much credit there, Tim. :wink: Besides, I check in regularly. Just don't get the opportunity to reply much, and instances like this are probably why.

Maybe I should cut back on the medication? :???: