CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lowering the XX:

XX RATED

Question to anyone with expierence with lowering the XX:

I plan to lower the XX an inch (both front & back of coarce).

I have purchased a lowering block (longer dogbone) for the

rear shock & droped my front fork tubes one inch below standard.

I still have the rear set at 6mm higher than the front by shimming the

shock mount - the question is this. Has anyone encountered any bottoming of the front forks from a lowered bike?

I really don't want to go throug all this trouble, just to have bottom out problems when I'm through. I do not think I'll have any clearence problems in the corners, as I have the suspension set stiff and I run "High Mount" pipes - so no problem there.

Anyone have any past expierences they might like to share...............??????

Why are you wanting to lower it?

I think 1" might be to much in the front, a few milimeters would be all that you might want to do.

If you look at the triangle where the dog bone and shock connect one side is a little closer between the bolt holes if you rotate this it will give you about a 1" drop in the back without changing anything else.

Question to antone with expierence with lowering the XX:

I plan to lower the XX an inch (both front & back of coarce).

I have purchased a lowering block (longer dogbone) for the

rear shock & droped my front fork tubes one inch below standard.

I still have the rear set at 6mm higher than the front by shimming the

shock mount - the question is this. Has anyone encountered any bottoming of the front forks from a lowered bike?

I really don't want to go throug all this trouble, just to have bottom out problems when I'm through. I do not think I'll have any clearence problems in the corners, as I have the suspension set stiff and I run "High Mount" pipes - so no problem there.

Anyone have any past expierences they might like to share...............??????

I hope you are drag racing or you are gonna drag all kinds of plastic in the corners--from what you did it sounds like you know what you are doing--(ie 929 dogbone)-my bike has been shimmed 6mm in the rear/Ohlins shocks and I was chasing some R6s (one very cute girl) thru the twisties--hit something solid from over tilt in a corner---the bike plain old wouldnt go over any farther--felt the rear start to lever out :shock: --had to stand it up a tad---guess that all there is----time to do the forks and really jack the back up

There was a auction on ebay for a adjustable "dog-bone" for the XX the other day and it went for $107, I saved the auction in "my ebay" but I don't think it will link now as it ended already. his seller name is duracoracing@chartermi.net , sounds like a email address to me.... email him and ask him where he got it from.

Just remember any change to the dogbone fucks up the linearity of the spring rate, as the linkage ratio changes---usually a shorter one requires a stiffer spring and vise-versa--best to consult a suspension expert if you find that changing stuff out causes "other" issues

O.K.- Couple of points to discuss here.

1) It's not Antone - it's anyone - my typo.

2) I'm not lowering the front end alone, I'm lowering the whole bike.

I droped the rear 1 inch by use of the Orient Express adjustable

dogbone - not a heim joint type, looks like standard Honda except

longer w/ 2 holes on one end - 1 for 1" drop & 1 for 3" drop (dragracing)

3) I droped the front 1 inch below standard, by slidding the tubes up into

the trees - so all things are in the same relation to each other as the

standard set-up - I kept the 6 m.m. shim under the shock mount as to

allow for the slightly higher rear for sharper turn-ins.

My initial question was to see if anyone (not Antone) had encountered any

problems by doing this to their bike. BUT - I did it and I'll let you guys know how it works out after tonights ride..........

Wish me luck!

O.K. - here'sthe dillio:

Ran the XX hard into the corners - no problems.

Couple of really nice wheelies - no problems.

Front end never came close to bottoming out......... :grin:

Now I'm not saying this is o.k. for everyone because the rider weight,

suspension settings, ect. all play key roles in how the bike should / could be set-up.

I increased my front spring spacers by 5/8 of an inch in the front and went with 7.5 weight oil (mixed 10 & 5 weight together), set the rear shock spring up to a stiffer setting - more suited for a 200 - 225 lb rider

(I'm @ 180 lbs.) and set the rebound damping @ soft. With the bike dropped by one inch, and the rear sitting 6 m.m. higher than the front - the bike handled beautifully; actually (it may just be my imagination) but I think it handled better than at stock height.