CBR1100XX.org Forum

Finally......after nine years of production....

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

The XX has a recall for only certain serial numbers in the model years '02 and '03. I've heard on another board it effects less than 100 XX's, but that's not documented. :oops:

Make : HONDA Model : CBR1100XX Year : 2003

Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V010000 Recall Date : JAN 18, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 36046

Summary:

CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.

Consequence:

IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.

Notes:

HONDA RECALL NO. P65. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONÂ’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

buddy of mine had his 02' bird leak out all the brake fluid in the rear. He took it to the shop and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. But went ahead and tightened everything up.. :roll:

If nothing is wrong where did the fluid go, and why would you have to tighten up anything?

Haven't had a problem with mine.

The XX has a recall for only certain serial numbers in the model years '02 and '03. I've heard on another board it effects less than 100 XX's, but that's not documented. :oops:

Joe, the Honda Japan website has the following data:

SC35-1000583~SC35-1000789 (207 units) are affected by the recall.

I have NO idea if those numbers are restricted to the JP market, or include units for non-Japan markets, and the information is limited.

They were apparently produced during the Mar. 7 2002 - to - Aug. 28 2003 period.

Joe, the Honda Japan website has the following data:

SC35-1000583~SC35-1000789 (207 units) are affected by the recall.

I have NO idea if those numbers are restricted to the JP market, or include units for non-Japan markets, and the information is limited.

They were apparently produced during the Mar. 7 2002 - to - Aug. 28 2003 period.

I was under the impression that japanese law stated that they are not allowed to sell >750cc bikes from new, domestically. I think there are companies who send crates of bikes for a tour of a harbour outside national boundaries and then bring em back for sale :)

I was under the impression that japanese law stated that they are not allowed to sell >750cc bikes from new, domestically. I think there are companies who send crates of bikes for a tour of a harbour outside national boundaries and then bring em back for sale :)

:lol::lol::lol:

That's funny! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Umm, no, you can buy it new, but domestic makers voluntarily "restrict" the bikes to output no more than 100 ps or so (they did that to keep the laws from prohibiting the manufacture/sale of bikes w/more than 100 ps). I did buy my XX brand new and it was JP spec when I got it - last dyno tagged it at 131 ps, but I'm still running the JP spec ECU, so a US/EU spec ECU would boost that... Another project for another time.

Considering the preference for Japanese to avoid used goods, I can't imagine any companies make money by sending new JP spec bikes overseas, taking the loss of price Re: depreciation, maintenance, etc. and then shipping them back to JP, and still be able to flip a profit... :roll:

FWIW, my bike cost about $9,500 including Givi Wing Rack and 2x36e cases, and derestriction work. Current exchange rates would put it closer to $10,500, +/-...

But yet Harley won't recall thousands of their EVO motors for catastrophic cam bearing failure which can lock a motor up solid while riding. WTF!?!?!? Props to Honda for stepping up!!!

A lock up isn't that critical at the normal speeds the HD is operated at, around 25mph from bar to shop and back to bar.

I just looked at this post, I have an 03!! So I flipp out and have to go look at my#. And to my plesure its SC35E-3600915 so I think my bike is not on the recall list. Am I right?

Unknown until you call... the VINs that I posted may or may not be Japan-only numbers, and it would be folly to assume so... Only after you call will you know if you are right.

Cheers, and let us know what you hear...

I was just looking at the STN web site they are talking about it too. Some one had the US#'s I think IM OK. Also if bike is under recall Honda is going to send a letter with all the repair info. But I would still like to talk to some one at Honda. How to go about makeimg that phone call? :???:

I was just looking at the STN web site they are talking about it too. Some one had the US#'s I think IM OK. Also if bike is under recall Honda is going to send a letter with all the repair info. But I would still like to talk to some one at Honda. How to go about makeimg that phone call? :???:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870

Usually the first step is pick up the phone... :wink:

"Umm, no, you can buy it new, but domestic makers voluntarily "restrict" the bikes to output no more than 100 ps or so (they did that to keep the laws from prohibiting the manufacture/sale of bikes w/more than 100 ps). "

ok, but the point remains that a bird with 100 ponies is not actually a bird

"Umm, no, you can buy it new, but domestic makers voluntarily "restrict" the bikes to output no more than 100 ps or so (they did that to keep the laws from prohibiting the manufacture/sale of bikes w/more than 100 ps). "

ok, but the point remains that a bird with 100 ponies is not actually a bird

Actually, the point of contention that you raised was, and remains, that the sale of bikes with a displacement in excess of 750 cc was prohibited by law.

And, I can assure you that the above point of contention, as it was postulated, is bunk.

Whether your classification of a 1137 cc Honda CBR1100XX is a bird or not by the PS output of it, well, I'm mature enough to say it doesn't matter... There are so many aftermarket products here that de-restrict and boost bike performance that the 100 ps barrier that is voluntarily met by makers is, effectively, ineffective.

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870

Usually the first step is pick up the phone... :wink:

FUCK FUCK FUCK :mad: :mad: Just got off the phone with HONDA. And my bike is going to fall under the recall. The guy on the phone was nice and helpful, should be getting a letter soon. Now I have to go to my local Honda dealer and have some 18 year old kid work on my brakes. It will take all day and then they will have to order parts and I will have to wasted one more day. Any thought out there? Honda should let the dealers know about it and order the parts to have on hand!!

C'omon man, how much riding can you do these days in MA ? :roll:

Be glad HONDA will fix it...

Do you have the leak ?

Does anyone have this leak ?

Cheers,[/quote

Well not much, but thats not the point.

Sure IM glad its a Honda, thats why I got it.

Its not leaking, but IM not going to wait for it .

:cheers:

I got the notice, I didn't originally think my VIN fell into the range, but I guess if Honda says so.

I highly doubt I will do much about it. If I see a leak maybe, but I don't too much care about the rear brake anyways.

I do not have a dealership in my area that I would trust to do anything save sell me an oil filter. They either have a bunch of kids working there that could care less about their jobs or their performance at their said jobs, or older guys who are dam near incompetent.