CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear rim for 190 tire

StPeteXX

I understand that the stock 5.5" rim will force a 190 to fit. I understand that a 190 on a 5.5" rim will negatively affect the handling of the XX.

I wanted to know if there was a Honda rim that uses a 190 tire and if it will work on the XX. Would there be any noticeable difference with a 190 on the proper size rim allowing the tire to retain its designed profile? Would the handling remain mostly the same?

I also think the 180 on the XX looks so tiny from behind compared to a 190 that is on other liter bikes.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys (and girls).

Rich

I say either just be a poser and get the 190 and cram in on there damn the poor handling or ride the bike with the tire than a team of really smart little japanese men designed the bike to use. The 180 doesnt look tiny but if tire envy is getting the better of you then go for it.

BTW ask Northman about the handling on the stock rim. I think he may have shit his pants but the fireworks were certainly entertaining when he touched his header down right in front of me due to the ass end kicking out on his 190 rear tire.

Thanks for the support, guys :roll:

Yeah, the 190 looks impressive, but handles like shit leaned over. When the tire was relatively new (days 1&2), it handled decent, except for some minor squirming leaned over. Enough that I used up the full surface without much drama.

Then came day #3......

I think we had aboot 1000 miles on the tire by that time, and it was showing it's wear. On a hard right hander, the back end let go on me, and started drifting the whole bike wide. The front end dove when I let off the throttle to get back on line, and that's when the header touched.

Definite pucker moment, and pissed me off knowing that I had to ride more gently for the last two days of the trip (at least when the road wasn't straight :wink:)

FWIW, I put the tire on because it was cheap as hell, and I had heard a lot of second hand information on the handling when using a 190 tire. Turns out the rumors were true. :oops:

If you really insist on installing a 190, you might want to try a 190/55/17 instead of the 190/50/17. Supposed to have a better profile when mounted on a 5.5 inch rim.

I'm gonna stick with the 180 for now.....

Bottomline, a 190 on any rim will not be as responsive and turn in as good as a 180, FUCKING PERIOD!!! AND YES IT IS FUCKING NOTICEABLE. AND NO, YOU CAN'T FUCKING AVOID IT. Ain't Physics and Geometry a bitch?????

Now, with that out of the way, since you are not going to avoid the 190 handling any better, issue two you want to solve is the look. Put the fucking 190 on the 5.5 and be done with it. You get the look and the same handling regardless.

Helpful?????

MaXX

Guest rockmeupto125

Precisely, blackhawk. All this posturing hasn't addressed the original question very well.

Is there a rear Honda rim, that will fit on the XX that will allow a 190 tire?

I don't want to jeopardize the handling by making a 190 fit on the stock 5.5" rim.

I don't know of any, StPete, but I'm comfortable with my 190/55. Then again, I ride like an old man.

Precisely, blackhawk. All this posturing hasn't addressed the original question very well.

Whoa...write this down. A thread was hijacked on this board.

Thanks for setting us young rapscallions straight.

I don't know of any, StPete, but I'm comfortable with my 190/55. Then again, I ride like an old man.

So to continue the hijacking: Would you say it improved the handling or worsened it? The word "comfortable" being reletive and all.

Guest rockmeupto125
Thanks for setting us young rapscallions straight.

Somebody needs to once in a while.

Wouldn't say it handles any worse or better. If anything, it may feel a little heavier, but despite popular opinion, the XX really doesn't "flick" very well anyway.

Wouldn't say it handles any worse or better. If anything, it may feel a little heavier, but despite popular opinion, the XX really doesn't "flick" very well anyway.

The right setup makes a world of difference, though. :idea:

Guest rockmeupto125

It certainly does. Some front end work and that Ohlins you are sporting make a big difference. But that comparison is made to the other bikes that are available in the "handling" category. The XX is pretty much on the grey edge of the sportbike group.