CBR1100XX.org Forum

Over-filled oil, blue smoke--HELP!!

sirjames

:mad:

I recently took my XX in for service at Excel Motorsports in Littleton, CO (S. Sante Fe) for my 12K service. I picked it up and parked it for about 1 1/2 weeks due to a snowstorm here in Colorado.

I took it to lunch yesterday (04-01-03) and next thing I know my bike is belching blue smoke like you would not believe! I pulled over, stuck my finger into the pipe and it was dripping with oil. I got it back to my garage, parked it and called the shop. While sitting in the garage it started dripping oil from the drain plug. Upon closer inspection it was also leaking from the valve cover.

Excel did come pick up the bike and that very same day, 2.5 hours later they called and said it was done/repaired...

What type of damage could be caused by this fuck-up?

What should I do to ensure I will not have some failure in the future due to this incident?

While sitting in the garage it started dripping oil from the drain plug. Upon closer inspection it was also leaking from the valve cover.  

Joe/Carlos is this really caused buy overfilling the oil? If so why? I truly don't know. Pressure maybe?

Ken

:mad: Thanks for the comments Joe & Carlos. I will drill them on the 10K warranty/guarantee...

I would like a few more opinions before I go pick up the bike... Anyone else have any thoughts before I rip them a new one?

Jim

Jim,

Several things can be effected by this. Carbon build up in the cylinder head, valves, runners, compresion ring gland, top of piston ect.ect. The most obvious result of this will be ping, unfortunately I think the 99 has a knock sensor and would automaticly retard the timming. Suggest running efi cleaner for a couple of tanks. Comment on corrosion. New motor oil will not however used oil contains small traces of acids that will. Any material(Rubber) that has come into contact with oil that is not designed for it may swell. Id ask for the teck and choke the F@cKER.

Chris

Pressure maybe?

Yes. The crankcase will pressurize A LOT if you have excess oil. You will lose a lot of power, and can actually blow seals and gaskets. This is why he needs to get an admission from them.

Part of my fiasco with the AZ Motorsports people was over-filling by over a quart. I lost 15MPH top end (imagine my embarassment when I topped out at 165 and an R1--ridden by a French chick--passed me) and could no longer wheelie. That alone was worth compensation for emotional damage.

At least in my case they were such incompetent morons that they also left the breather disconnected, so it just dripped out instead of filling up the airbox.

I just spoke with Jim about his bike, the shop that worked on it found that they had damaged the Valve cover gasket. Explains the oil leak, but now the bike is smoking bad after it is warmed up, and from what he decribes it sounds like he has blown a head gasket, has anyone ever heard of a xx blowing a head gasket? It does seem to be a hell of a coinsidence, or the idiots for some reason loosened the head bolts while they were doing the valve adjustment and thus causing the head gasket problem. He has it at another shop for inspection now. :cry:

After talking to Jim, it is not oil that he thought was coming out of the tail pipe, it sounds more like some antifreeze, but it's hard to tell by his description over the phone. The bike was only minorly over full, so I don't believe that is what is causing the problems, it just so happened it had a oil leak at the same time. I'll see him this weekend and maybe the bike and figure out what the hell is axctually going on. The first time the guy actually does some maintenace to the bike and all goes to hell. The shop claims they did not chnage the oil, and what ever is coming out of the tail pipe gets sticky when it dry's, thats why it sounds like the green goo!

The bike has 16k on it and has never been touched besides oil and tires, so it was in for a over due service, all fluids except oil, and valve adjustment! He is a friend of mine, this is the only reason I know more of what's going on. The bike does not smoke at all until it has gotten up to operating temp. Sorry for the confusion. :???:

If it's antifreeze, it should be readily soluble in water...quick and dirty check. dip a finger into it, then into water, if it dissolves -answer right there. Motor oil will be an oily slick (immiscible in water). If it's sticky, I'd be willing to bet that it's the ethylene glycol residue from antifreeze after the water has evaporated...headgasket, almost certainly. Those twonks at the dealership should be held completely accountable. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jim

aka, VeloXXiraptor

This is disturbing!!! Never seen a head gasket go on a metric bike. Lots of experience on cages though. :cry:

Just smell the exaust to diagnose. If it smells sweet, kinda like sweet potatoes, it's a head gasket or cracked head. The smoke is usually VERY abundant, white and billowy.

If it's oil, it's more blue and smells like..... well..oil.

It sounds like one of these great shops has broken another fine bike with their ineptitude. Glad I do all my own maint. :grin:

Keep us updated on this.