CBR1100XX.org Forum

NOISE IN MY FORKS

TFT

I picked up my bike from Honda yesterday afternoon, they completed the installation of the racetech springs and valves. When the bike is sitting still and I push down hard on the handlebars to compress the front forks I here a sound which kind of reminds me of a liquid being squirted through a restricted opening. I called Race Tech this morning and they said it could be the springs rubbing. They told me to take it back to Honda and have them check it out. They also said that sometimes that happens. The forks seem to function fine. Anyone else run into this issue? Any comments or suggestions? I don't have a lot of confidence in the local dealership anymore. Whe I picked the bike up I felt a bit of vibration in the forks. I got home and looked at the bike front end again and realized they had the front wheel on backwards. (Stupid bastards!) I immediatedly took it back and they re-installed it correctly. There were a lot of embarrased individuals when I rolled in there. I was pissed and not at my most civil behavior. I don't think they heard the work "fuck" interjected into a sentence that often before. :grin:

Is that possible on the front? I know it would be more than difficult on the rear. I could just see them trying to get the brake caliper over the sprocket :roll: . The charge for that job should be $.00, my $.02 ...

You're goddamn right! That job would be free! Holy shit. God knows what other damage has been done, possible bearing/bushing damage, maybe speedo housing damage. I really didn't think it was possible to put it on wrong. WOW what idiots. If they can't handle that what did they do to your FORKS!!!! :shock:

I just did the springs and oil last w/e- don't know if I have the same type of sound you have, but the forks kind of squeak now. Doesn't sound like anything rubbing the springs, but who can tell- it's got to be pretty loud to hear it through the forks themselves.

Just an aside, I'd rather not do some things myself, but when I think about some of the folks at the dealers, it doesn't take too long to just do it myself. Your wheel is a perfect example.

Francis

After i did my forks with the ractech stuff they squeaked for about 100

km or so. I figured it might have been the spring rubbing on the spacer

or something else getting broken in. I was also wondering if it

something to do with poliching the damping rods. If they are gurgling

mabe they didn't take enough time to bleed the cartridges .

I would give it a bit of time and see if it stops.. my 2 cents

If they fucked up your wheel mounting, then who's to say they got the valves in right, or used the proper oil?

I would demand total re-imbursement for the job, and take the bike to someone more competent to double check their work.

Either that, or buy the manual, and check their work yourself.

If they fucked up your wheel mounting, then who's to say they got the valves in right, or used the proper oil?

Concur. I'd be real concerned about the internal work, if this is the quality of work they do externally.

Damn, I didn't think you could even mount the front tire backwards without *really* working hard at it. But I guess if you have the spacers on the correct side, you can still Murphy it... :mad:

Hey TFT, I had the same problem with mine. I had Race Tech valves and springs put in on 4/1/03. When I picked the bike up from the dealer, I bobbed the front up and down and it sounded like a pogo-stick. Now after a couple of thousand miles, the sound has pretty much gone away....not totally, but enough to know nothing is seriouly fucked up.

I think the name of the thread I started was "Squeaky front end"

LE

A noise, and then to find the front wheel on backwards. That is scary, I would purchase the service manual and check things out myself.

I installed the valves and springs. After the job was complete the spring in the right fork was rubbing. The second spacer I cut was strait. The only noise I have now is the oil moving through the orifices.

That is the noise I was hearing, oil traveling through the orifices. And you are right, I don't have a lot of confidence in their work.

There are only two Honda shops in the area, and this is the better of the two. :sad:

That is the bad thing about Alaska if you are a consumer, and also the great thing about Alaska if you are a provider; "No competition" You can get away with providing shit for a product and for the consumer you have very little recourse. I order most of my stuff on the internet, but when I need service, I'm FUCKED!!!!!!

I had to take my truck back to Chevy about a month ago. After getting the oil changed (I have a lifetime oil change policy) the truck was leaking oil. Go figure! I take it back and suggest that maybe they fucked up installing the filter. Their response was that they would take a look at the leak but there was no guarantee it could be fixed under warrantee, totally ignoring the oil change issue. Turns out they fucked up the gasket on the filter. Who would have guessed!! :lol: